Author Topic: What where the best deals you foolishly passed on?  (Read 1638 times)

hexen

What where the best deals you foolishly passed on?
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:23:38 pm »
Though I have been pretty inactive in collection for several years the recent shoot up in prices has led me to looking at modern prices of some things to see where they are at. It was when I was looking at PS2 game prices when I saw that Haunting Grounds is now several hundred dollars. This made me think back to the past when I saw it for my only ever time in the wild at a little antique mall flea market for less than $10 and for some reason didn't buy it despite being interested. I really have no idea why I didn't as I was really into building my PS2 collection at the time. On the topic of pricey PS2 games I also saw Rule of Rose several times and despite it being one of the most expensive PS2 games now I didn't know what it was so there was no realistic chance I would have bought it (unless it was like $1) unlike Haunting Grounds which I was actually interested in.

In the past when Byron and I used to go out every Friday for years this is what we dubbed paying a "stupid tax", missing out on something and having to pay more when you actually did buy it. Even in the day this happened a lot to me... some examples include all the Mega Man X games (specifically X2 and X3) for $20-30, a copy of E.V.O. for $25 and a CIB Castlevania: Bloodlines for $15 all being things I ended up buying for many times more than the chances I had to get them for cheap.

Either through hindsight price increase or straight in the moment missing out, what are some chances you guys had to pick something up for a bargain and for whatever reason you passed on the deal?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: What where the best deals you foolishly passed on?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 06:47:03 pm »
One that stands out is valkyrie profile for 30.00 cib I thought it was to much at the time.I still don't have it in my collection that's why it stands out in my memory but I'm sure their were plenty others.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 07:40:02 pm »
Last night.

Rocky and Bullwinkle Pinball Playfield for $275 on eBay. :-(

stealthrush

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 07:45:41 pm »
passing up on buying Suikoden II on PlayStation when it was first released back in the 99' Had it in the check-out and all but decided to go with another game.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 09:11:49 pm »
Umm.
I remember I was upset because I asked to some people that used to order me games to "DON'T" delay ordering a cheap copy of Gradius V for 35$ or 40$? Because it was a great deal but they rather ignored me and the deal gone, eventually they ordered a more expensive one, so I got it and then cut business there, though, no hard feelings, I just wanted to order stuff myself.

The one I am still salty about is when Vandal Hearts used to be like 20$ and 30$, and I still delayed it and delayed It because I thought it couldn't get expensier.

Whatever.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 11:23:01 pm »
It's happened countless times, to the point I don't even recall most of them. I get this stupid notion of not needing something when I find a good deal, then leave it. My rational mind kicks in later and realize that I made dumb decision.

Happened the other day at GS. Saw a game on my wish-list, $12. Nah... maybe next time. I leave, "man, that was kinda stupid to not pick it up". Go back a few days later, it's the only one missing from the shelf. Thankfully, another GS had it too. One of those formerly NEW converted to PRE-OWNED type of deals, so they all had one.

I've had this paranoid delusion that anything I do pick up you guys can thank me, because the price will stay reasonable. If I don't ever get around to it, it gets mega expensive. I kinda never thought Gravity Rush Remastered would be a hard get, I didn't pick it up at launch and then it exploded. However, I DID pickup the sequel near launch. The value dropped, and stayed down on that one. You're welcome.

I think one time back in the early days I passed on a copy of Intelligent Cube, didn't know what it was. Don't really regret it still. Passed on a cheap copy of Kingfield long-box because no manual, don't really regret that. I got the jewel case version pretty cheap, but still those games are going for a fortune now. I guess there aren't any in particular that really haunt me.

mastodon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 01:10:00 am »
I should have purchased Bitcoin in the beginning.

62gaming

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 02:22:58 am »
There will always be a lot. Most recent was a European copy of Metroid Fusion complete in box for only $50. At the time I was over budget on "for fun" stuff and I didn't want to spend anymore even if it meant passing this up.

Responsibility sucks sometimes.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 03:10:58 am »
I remember a certain time, like 5-6 years ago, when N64 an SNES titles were still quite cheap at local flea markets. I bite myself to this day for not picking up more cartridges for they still were 3times cheaper than today.  :'(

Well, guess that's how it goes ... it's a learning process  8)

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 08:57:41 am »
I don't have to many regrets but my biggest regret is Not paying 20$ for legend of sayuki years ago. You rarely see em especially non spanish italian

was to expensive for my taste it is what it is.

Sure some saturn of cib snes games where allot cheaper years ago, but I'm not mad for missing out on those even back than they had nice value. But 20$ was tempting.

add zombie BBQ and comando steel disaster ds to that list while pretty pricy back than I really wanted those and they are far more pricy now
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:04:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 09:11:07 am »
It was years ago (like FuncoLand era) but I passed on buying Suikoden II.

I luckily won a free copy of it years and years later, but still.

armani

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 07:37:53 pm »
$20 for a boxed Atari Lynx back in 2008

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 09:55:32 pm »
The company who published "El Chavo Kart" on Xbox 360 and PS3 was selling new, sealed copies on Amazon for $19.99. They were selling them for a while...and when they sold out, the price for the game skyrocketed.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 11:09:45 pm »
I remember the first time I ever went to the flea market there was a seller selling a Genesis model 1 with a loose copy of Moonwalker. I think they only wanted $20 for everything. I thought to myself who the hell would want a game about Michael Jackson, and also $20 was a fairly standard price on a Genesis so I passed on it.

I also had a chance to buy Fox Hunt on the PS1 right before it mooned in price. i'd been looking for it for a long time and a game store had it for $40 which was a standard price on it. I debated for a good 20 minutes about whether I wanted to buy it or not before decided I'd rather find it for cheaper some place else. The next time I saw a copy it was priced at $150 which was on the low end of ebay.

Similar situation to Panzer Dragoon Saga. I found it at a used media shop complete for $250 and it was currently worth about $400. I debated on getting it and decided to pass. I ended up buying a copy a few years later for $600....

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:23 am »
The main one that sticks out is the time I saw a Dreamcast in Goodwill for like $10-15.  Who knows if it worked, though.