Author Topic: Retro Consoles  (Read 1023 times)

brothertuc

Retro Consoles
« on: February 05, 2022, 09:03:01 am »
I was just wondering...
For all of you with retro consoles (and not for those who use emulators), do you play your consoles and games on a modern TV with an HDMI adapter, on an old school TV with the Scart cable, or maybe even on a gaming monitor?

Just curious to know, as I use the HDMI converter myself.

Re: Retro Consoles
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:06:33 am »
Currently all my retro consoles are either HDMI modded or I run them through an OSSC upscaler if they're running any RGB video and also component video. I still have an old 27" CRT if I want a super authentic experience, but admittedly I've barely used it since getting the OSSC and having enough of my retro consoles modded for modern video output.

brothertuc

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 11:21:30 am »
Currently all my retro consoles are either HDMI modded or I run them through an OSSC upscaler if they're running any RGB video and also component video. I still have an old 27" CRT if I want a super authentic experience, but admittedly I've barely used it since getting the OSSC and having enough of my retro consoles modded for modern video output.

Well, yeah, I use the HDMI converter with upscaler (720p or 1080p).
Games still look like a PS1 or PS2 game though, just with a little better graphics.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 11:29:40 am »

Games still look like a PS1 or PS2 game though, just with a little better graphics.

You're pretty much just removing blur, sharpening the image quality, and enhancing colors when you go the upscaller/HDMI mod route. It definitely isn't going to perform any miracles in terms of making the games look way better, but taht's okay with me. Probably the console that benefits the least from hidef modding is the N64. I love the n64, but the muddiness and blur in a lot of its game is programmed in and no amount of upscaling or video tweaks is going to remove that.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 11:33:05 am »
Playing on a flat screen just feels wrong. It may look "cleaner" through HDMI, but that doesn't necessarily mean it looks better. I compare it to a boob job, it just doesn't feel right.  ;)

Get yourself a nice Sony Wega and some HD Retrovision component cables, and you'll never look back.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 11:39:51 am »
Playing on a flat screen just feels wrong. It may look "cleaner" through HDMI, but that doesn't necessarily mean it looks better. I compare it to a boob job, it just doesn't feel right.  ;)

Get yourself a nice Sony Wega and some HD Retrovision component cables, and you'll never look back.

As long as you're using a good upscaler or using a well made HDMI mod the video quality is incredible and there is virtually no lag. However, there is absolutely something to be said about just hooking your retro consoles up to a CRT via component or composite cables (or even RF) and playing these games exactly like we all did back in the day. I love the enhanced video quality mods and upscalers brings, but it undeniably looks different, sometimes way different, then how I played these games for years. I will always own a CRT for this reason.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 11:57:12 am »
I have everything that outputs analog video either running into my Framemeister or OSSC (or both), I don't have any console modifications done, but I am able to run my PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, GameCube, Xbox and Wii with very high quality component video. I still use S-Video for N64 and composite for my NES and Intellivision.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 12:05:24 pm »
I use a Sony Trinitron CRT T.V. for my old-school consoles and VHS; pure old-school. It's how the games were designed in mind. Many game developers made games knowing the screens of the time would blur or smooth out edges of blocky pixels or jagged early 3D models.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:51:53 pm by burningdoom »

brothertuc

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 12:33:57 pm »

You're pretty much just removing blur, sharpening the image quality, and enhancing colors when you go the upscaller/HDMI mod route. It definitely isn't going to perform any miracles in terms of making the games look way better, but taht's okay with me. Probably the console that benefits the least from hidef modding is the N64. I love the n64, but the muddiness and blur in a lot of its game is programmed in and no amount of upscaling or video tweaks is going to remove that.

Yeah, but that's fine with me... I don't need to HDMI mod my consoles, I like the way the games look authentic, albeit with some sharper colors and image quality.

Bluemoon

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 12:12:59 pm »
I kinda go for a midpoint I play my older 3d consoles through a scart cable on my flat screen and play older 2d consoles through an fpga clone console that outputs through HDMI (It's console emulation but I can still use original carts)

telekill

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 08:40:00 am »
My RetroPi only goes up to PS1 and there are very few games on there for PS1 that I like... so I still have my PS2 slim. I recently got the HDMI converter for my PS2 and it does a pretty... well... ok job. It allows me to play the games. Some games have small text that are difficult to read even with the HDMI cable. Not perfect but it works.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 08:47:06 am »

on the n64 it actually smooths stuff out on purpose compared to the more sharper ps1 that just looks rough around the edges. it's preference at the end of the day really. especially with early 3d I'd rather have some blur since it does make it less ugly compared to having it more sharp in wich the lesser things look more obvious.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 10:03:30 pm »
I was just wondering...
For all of you with retro consoles (and not for those who use emulators), do you play your consoles and games on a modern TV with an HDMI adapter, on an old school TV with the Scart cable, or maybe even on a gaming monitor?

Just curious to know, as I use the HDMI converter myself.

A flat screen TV that really isn't doing it for me. I happen to have a Sharp CRT that's busted, which I've been meaning to get fixed, but procrastination keeps winning.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 07:22:24 pm »
I use good crt I started collecting them when everybody was throwing them out.

megasilverx1

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 09:52:30 pm »
I have most of my retro consoles going to both a Sharp CRT TV and a Samsung HD TV thanks to the combined power of an S-Video amplifier and a RetroTink 2X-Mini. The consoles that only have RF and Composite though only have hooked up to the CRT TV. My Genesis is only hooked up to my HD TV through SCART to Component since the Composite video looks horrendous on that thing even on an old school TV.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 09:59:19 pm by megasilverx1 »