Author Topic: Do you insure your collection?  (Read 1205 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Do you insure your collection?
« on: February 09, 2022, 09:10:00 pm »
So does anyone insure their collection? And if not at what point do you think you might?

I don't have insurance for my collection and my homeowners insurance recommend i added coverage.I had some theft in the past and wasn't fully covered for my loss.Thankfully it wasn't to grievous it was kind of like a snatch and grab sort of thing.They didn't have enough time to grab much. Anyways what are you're thoughts on this.

Re: Do you insure your collection?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 11:39:59 pm »
Yes. It's explicitely covered in my renters policy for up to 50k. I've had it since 2018 when I last moved and it gives me some peace of mind. However, I'm considering doing a much more specialized policy that actually itemized everything in my collection. I've done some research and I guess having a specific policy on your collection increases your chances of getting its full value back if something were to happen, while renters/home owner policies have mixed results. i figure when I hopefully buy a house this Spring/Summer it'll be the perfect opportunity to do this.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 10:16:07 am »
I think mine is covered up to like 50% of my home's value.  I need to double check actually, my home value went up, but so did my collection.  I think my collection might be around 70% of my home's value right now.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 10:30:31 am »
I don't have a very large collection but it would be covered in my home owners insurance.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 10:42:24 am »
My collection is covered by Homeowner's Insurance.  I made sure of it when I opted in.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 06:59:24 pm »
My dad got his collection of guitars insured, I don't have my game collection insured as I have homeowner's insurance plus lots of pictures + documentation of my collection.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 11:25:09 pm »
My dad got his collection of guitars insured, I don't have my game collection insured as I have homeowner's insurance plus lots of pictures + documentation of my collection.
This is what I was told to do buy my home owners ins. but when they found out the value and volume of the collection  they said it wouldn't be covered. Unless I added more coverage of course.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 12:52:38 am »
I sure do. There’s a rider on my homeowners that covers all my collection. It isn’t a whole lot extra every month, but I’d never be able to replace it without the insurance.

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 06:45:34 pm »
This is what I was told to do buy my home owners ins. but when they found out the value and volume of the collection  they said it wouldn't be covered. Unless I added more coverage of course.
That's interesting. I've never really taken the time to actually value what I've currently got for a few years. I wouldn't say my collection is super large but I'd be devastated if homeowners didn't at least cover the "perceived" value of it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

jipsy

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:46:09 pm »
I had a friend tell me that if he spends $1000+ on something he always insures it whether is be a collection, a guitar or anything else. I've kinda stuck by that rule so far.
Jipsy

mastodon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 01:42:46 pm »
hmmm, I may need this.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 01:10:45 pm »
Yes. It's explicitely covered in my renters policy for up to 50k. I've had it since 2018 when I last moved and it gives me some peace of mind. However, I'm considering doing a much more specialized policy that actually itemized everything in my collection. I've done some research and I guess having a specific policy on your collection increases your chances of getting its full value back if something were to happen, while renters/home owner policies have mixed results. i figure when I hopefully buy a house this Spring/Summer it'll be the perfect opportunity to do this.

Can anyone here please help me with how I go about insuring the plastic fantastic hoards of 80s baby gold we all know and love? :)  My collection of funko pops has surpassed by video game collection by at least 3 fold. I'd say both modestly combine for maybe 20k.  Which isn't necessarily as much as a house or some collections. But it's also around the time i'd say I would be royally F'd if they were stolen or vandalized.

I am not yet a home owner so I can't add it to my home owner insurance as that is through my leaseor. But can I get like an independent insurer to come and appraise the collection and give me a rate? Where do I go for that? Who do I call? Banks? A Laywer?

Thanks for any help.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 07:10:56 pm »
I would ask a insurance agent in your area if you could get apartment insurance with extra coverage if needed.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 09:00:35 pm »
Do you insure your collection?

Nope.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!