Author Topic: Cart pics instead of Box pics?  (Read 2290 times)

jason

Re: Cart pics instead of Box pics?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 05:26:26 am »
Sorry about all that. It sounds like the resounding voice is to at least have a toggle option and leave the default to see the box on all and then allow people to show what they have as a separate setting. I'll get to work on that. Thank you all for the feedback!

telly

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 09:55:10 am »
I think it should also be limited to items that had a box to begin with; digital games and strategy guides (as an example) just get broken images as a result. Digital games were fine for me because I didn't check the "item" box, but all my strategy guides have broken image links now.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dhaabi

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 10:48:31 am »
I think it should also be limited to items that had a box to begin with; digital games and strategy guides (as an example) just get broken images as a result. Digital games were fine for me because I didn't check the "item" box, but all my strategy guides have broken image links now.

This is the major problem regarding the feature in its current iteration, and it has to do with how every entry in the database is created with the same Physical Game form, despite our database allowing digital games and non-game items.

To me, the ideal way to solve the problem at-hand is to not just have the feature be toggled on or off for users to choose. This option limits the customization that many users are wanting, as it depends on each and every item in a user's collection to have relevant images connected to the entry. Instead, give users the ability to choose which image is shown for each and every item individually within their collection. Here is a simple mockup I just created that illustrates a possible solution to my idea. Another solution could be for users to select which image they're wanting to view from a drop-down menu list (Front, Back, Cart.)

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 01:09:11 pm »
I haven't really been active on the other side of the site as I haven't been buying stuff a lot lately, but yeah.  I have N64/NES/SNES/GEN/etc marked as loose because I only own the cartridge, but I have them all in display boxes and stuff (it would be disingenuous of me to mark that I have the box) but I'd rather see the box art across the board personally, so a user option would be nice.

jason

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 01:42:19 pm »

^^ That's definitely a good point.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 01:26:18 pm »
Another thing - if I have the disc and manual but no box for a Sega CD, PS1, Saturn, or Dreamcast game, I'm shown the disc instead of the cover art. Even though for the majority of games on those systems the cover art is on the manual, not the box.

soera

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2022, 07:31:21 am »

I understand this. Ive wondered why on a lot of items, the first box is "box" instead of item/disk/cart. It should have a universal "item/disk/cart", "box", "manual" for every single entry.

tripredacus

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 09:36:52 am »
There is an easier way. All of the categories the items are kept in have types. If a person were to choose this option, they could choose which types to apply it to, of these types:

- Games
- Consoles
- Accesories

And the default option would be to not automatically enable this alternate view.

Note: the type indicator is misspelled in the system, I did not *technically* make a typo above. :)

pzeke

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 06:38:13 pm »
That is as intended. We updated the logic to not just show the box art, but based on the settings for the game itself. If you have selected the full game and the box too, it should show the box art. If you only have the cart selected, it'll just try to show the cartridge art.

While I can see the intention, I don't think a change like this should be foisted on the end user, so a feature toggle was definitely the best option.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telly

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 09:11:31 am »
Has there been any discussion of changing this back to the format it was before?
Currently Playing:

jason

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 08:44:56 am »
Has there been any discussion of changing this back to the format it was before?

I will have to get that switched back over until I get this turned into a feature that people can toggle on their own.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 08:17:28 am »

I will have to get that switched back over until I get this turned into a feature that people can toggle on their own.

Has there been any movement on moving this back to the previous functionality?

telly

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 09:28:57 am »
^ Was also wondering this. Would really like it to be what it was previously.
Currently Playing:

jason

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 07:35:25 pm »
Switched it back to the way it was for now. I'm sorry for the delay.