Author Topic: Backup games and consoles  (Read 1833 times)

brothertuc

Backup games and consoles
« on: February 20, 2022, 07:20:10 am »
Do you have any backups of games or consoles, in case your primary one fails?
I mean, every console and game will fail sometime in the future, but is it really worth having more than one?

I don't, but that's mostly down to space. If I find them cheap, I probably would buy a game or console that I already own to keep as a backup.

telekill

Re: Backup games and consoles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 09:32:42 am »
If they break... why not get them fixed? There are quite a few options out there to fix various systems.

After about 10 years my Game Gear had no audio due to the cheap capacitors Sega used. I got a new motherboard and all capacitors replaced on the audio board as well as changed the backlighting from tube to LED. I've even replaced the d-pad rubber membrane between the button and motherboard.

Don't toss your old systems... fix them.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:53:30 pm »
Yes. I have virtually every video game ever released between the mid 80s and the early 2000s for all the main consoles on a NAS, I need to get motivated and do the same for the rest of the 6th generation consoles soon. As for consoles I have multiples of most of them, and some of them are modified to play games off an SD card or HDD.

brothertuc

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 04:14:00 pm »
If they break... why not get them fixed? There are quite a few options out there to fix various systems.

After about 10 years my Game Gear had no audio due to the cheap capacitors Sega used. I got a new motherboard and all capacitors replaced on the audio board as well as changed the backlighting from tube to LED. I've even replaced the d-pad rubber membrane between the button and motherboard.

I have no idea how to fix them, and there's no shop or store anywhere near me that will fix them.

telekill

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 04:25:54 pm »

I have no idea how to fix them, and there's no shop or store anywhere near me that will fix them.

There wasn't one near me either. There are people on Etsy or eBay that will fix your systems. Then there are brick and motor locations and sites like www.estarland.com that will fix your systems. You ship it too them, they do the work, and you get it back. It takes a bit of trust on your part, but there are legitimate businesses.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 04:27:44 pm by telekill »

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 08:15:42 pm »
Depends on the console though. if an xbox ps1 or ps2 breaks you just get a new one those are dirt cheap. at least over here.

you are european If I'm looking at the collection, so those 10 - 20$ consoles would probably apply to you aswell.

That being said though while consoles might fail it's fortunately not a common thing especially if where going cart based systems.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:22:19 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

brothertuc

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 10:08:15 am »

There wasn't one near me either. There are people on Etsy or eBay that will fix your systems. Then there are brick and motor locations and sites like www.estarland.com that will fix your systems. You ship it too them, they do the work, and you get it back. It takes a bit of trust on your part, but there are legitimate businesses.

I live in Europe though, so that's probably out of the question.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 11:08:33 am »

I live in Europe though, so that's probably out of the question.

in my country I have businesses that do repairs but the costs and you having to pay shipping to them and back. even with snes consoles you can basicly buy another used console at that point. I can't see it as a good deal unless where going the actual more obsecure consoles such as sega cd and such. They usually also sell the parts and have guides how you can repair it yourselves.

Might only be worth if it was modded or a 1 chip, child hood console rare import console etc etc. unless you somehow purchased the console in a retail overpriced setting than ye those prices not to bad in comparison. but than again retail prices for even common ps2 consoles are disgusting.

Still though with your current consoles I wouldn't be worried about repairs all that much, they are really cheap to replace your going to be fine. ps3 might be the only contender for repairs here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:43:47 am by sworddude »

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 03:24:29 pm »
I got backup consoles a PS2 and PS3 can play both it's generation and PS1 games, no need to have a PS1 around when you got one of them, I got 2 PS3's 3 PS2's one working PS2 and 2 broken PS2's 1 Broken PS3. one working PS3

I got both a working original Xbox AND a 360 with a harddrive so if the OG Xbox kicks out I always have a 360 to play OG Xbox games on. Games? well I got 2 PC's if I am desperate I'll download a bunch of free games on them ::)

Games I don't usually have backups for, no room and no money, plus I'm not selfish and don't accumulate repeated games or consoles just to claim their mine and nobody else unlike some collectors who obtain 2 or each game and put one on the shelf just to never open and only for a decoration WTF?

People who collect entire consoles variants drive me insane, if you want a colored N64? why not just buy a case if you're never going to play it? why buy 7 or 9 N64 with the hardware inside of them just to watch them rot in a display case?

My philophcy is I want 1 or each and every game and console in existence, if I can't have a physical copy then I'll go with digital. Steam games can be backed up onto a harddrive anyway

so can ROM's
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:28:29 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 04:38:22 am »

buying a new one is cheaper then egtting it repaired  for the most part

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 08:48:05 am »

um depends on where you get the thing repaired and the console in question, them retro consoles are getting pretty rare and expensive now a days in America at least, I vote for repair vs, getting a new one because I know a PC repair shop near me that charges about $60 USD plus cost of parts to get any console repaired, to me that is way worth it

when getting another console used, you may encounter the same exact problem or worse, people could sell you another lemon it may work then break soon after with little usage hence the reason why the last guy might have sold it in the first place, in rare cases you may get bugs from another used console, if you do get another console make sure it's sold as refurbished and clean,

sometimes all a console needs is a good cleaning to work again I'd say get it cleaned if you don't know how to my local repair shop also does that for $60 USD a console.

when I bought my OG Xbox used I took it in for an inspection shortly after I purchased it. And the tech found it had a leaky capacitor. It just started leaking recently after it was sold at the place I bought it from, but good thing was the tech caught it in time

I ask the people I bought it from about and they told me they never knew about the leaky capacitor. or the fact that it's common in OG Xbox consoles a this point in time, the clerk said no quickly and without a 2nd thought :-\

if you buy an OG Xbox make sure you get it looked at by an expert like I did, AND? i've had it for 4 years now or 5 don't rememebr and IT STILL WORKS ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:04:17 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 09:07:18 am »

um depends on where you get the thing repaired and the console in question, them retro consoles are getting pretty rare and expensive now a days in America at least, I vote for repair vs, getting a new one because I know a PC repair shop near me that charges about $60 USD plus cost of parts to get any console repaired, to me that is way worth it

when getting another console used, you may encounter the same exact problem or worse, people could sell you another lemon it may work then break soon after with little usage hence the reason why the last guy might have sold it in the first place, in rare cases you may get bugs from another used console, if you do get another console make sure it's sold as refurbished and clean,

sometimes all a console needs is a good cleaning to work again i'd say get it cleaned if you don't know how to my local repair shop also does that for $60 USD a console.

the average price for an USA snes console with cables and a controller is 77$ on price charting. you would save just 17$ if you where to go the pricy route and that is ignoring shipping. if where going the sega genesis it's just a bit above 40$

When your snes console is broken you don't even need a controller and them cables. also ebay is one of the more pricy sites to get an snes or sega console aswell. on sites such as craigslist or facebook market places it will be way lower. even people that ask top dollar there usually retract ebay fees.

for 60$ you can just get another used console with cables, heck if you can find a standalone console withouth cables it's going to be a sizable chunk cheaper aswell.

also 2nd hand isn't as bad as you describe those are pretty rare cases. plus in allot of cases you can see if a guy has sold before or not. and if it's someone withouth knowledge odds are your getting sizable deal. while scamms do happen in retro, it's child's play compared to current gen it's a rarity with the exception of some of the more popular grail items and hype stuff like pokemon but at that point it's super obvious and still rare compared to current gen.

The problem with repairs is manhours that is why it's so pricy, repairs are only worthwhile for rare consoles or if you do it yourselves since spare parts are dirt cheap.

if you buy an OG Xbox make sure you get it looked at by an expert like I did, AND? i've had it for 4 years now or 5 don't rememebr and IT STILL WORKS ;D

At least over here you can literally get an xbox for around 10$. you don't need an expert to look at them. Leaky capicators are a common problem for xbox. if the console isn't past 2004 or 2005 you can just rip the clock capictator out. easy way to tell if it's the good capicatator if it's golden colored. if it's something else you can just remove it.

Also over here stores charge 15$ for an inspection that's surpassing the cost of an og xbox with controller and usually a few crappy games.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:48:09 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 12:30:21 pm »

sometimes all a console needs is a good cleaning to work again I'd say get it cleaned if you don't know how to my local repair shop also does that for $60 USD a console.

when I bought my OG Xbox used I took it in for an inspection shortly after I purchased it. And the tech found it had a leaky capacitor. It just started leaking recently after it was sold at the place I bought it from, but good thing was the tech caught it in time

I ask the people I bought it from about and they told me they never knew about the leaky capacitor. or the fact that it's common in OG Xbox consoles a this point in time, the clerk said no quickly and without a 2nd thought :-\

when getting it repaired you might get the same issue back again as well  shipping alone is like 20 euro already (both to the repairman and back so 10 bucks to ship it there and 10 to get it back)

just having it looked at withour doing anything is about 30 40 bucks already  lets say they take an hour to work on it thats about 80 euro total already and then you probatly have to pay for parts etc as well.

and alkso the risk of getting scammed

yeah not worth it

and that is if you cna even find someone in the first place.

and that is for the common ones
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:37:57 pm by wowgek7 »

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 02:08:07 pm »
you guys both look like you live in the UK in the US last time I checked it cost the same amount of money to repair a console as it does to buy it used here where I live, and either way, it takes luck for whether you can get your console to work or not. Luck, because buying a used one or a new one or a refurbished one their still is and always was a 50/50 chance it will not work or will break I guess. I am going to go with this

If your console works than your lucky if your console don't work, new or old then your vary unlucky  :-\

I get mine repaired if it's a disc console but a cartridge SNES their is a ton of clones out their you can get for NEW I'd go for a clone console in new condition if I can't find a cheap Genesis or SNES or NES :-\

lol MOST TIME a new clone console will work better then a ragity old broken OG cartridge based console BUT disc based consoles are harder to come by
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:13:55 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 02:58:47 pm »
you guys both look like you live in the UK in the US last time I checked it cost the same amount of money to repair a console as it does to buy it used here where I live, and either way, it takes luck for whether you can get your console to work or not. Luck, because buying a used one or a new one or a refurbished one their still is and always was a 50/50 chance it will not work or will break I guess. I am going to go with this

If your console works than your lucky if your console don't work, new or old then your vary unlucky  :-\

I get mine repaired if it's a disc console but a cartridge SNES their is a ton of clones out their you can get for NEW I'd go for a clone console in new condition if I can't find a cheap Genesis or SNES or NES :-\

lol MOST TIME a new clone console will work better then a ragity old broken OG cartridge based console BUT disc based consoles are harder to come by

I literally gave you the snes price of what they go for in the states wich was pretty much like your stated repair costs. and that is with inflated prices for such consoles that is how bad of a deal those console repairs are.

it's also no secret that console prices on ebay thnks to the risks involved for the seller come at a premium. it is one of the worst places to get a retro console, and if where going retail o boy you can pretty much buy 3 or 4 consoles for those prices with the more mainstream consoles. boxed prices are however more accurate people actually paying comparable prices for that usually. but unboxed consoles are really inflated on sites as ebay or retailers

Also I do not know what kind of crappy experiences you have had with 2nd hand purchases but buying a working 2nd hand console should not require any luck at all. especially not with cardridge based systems those can take a massive beating before they break down. so if someone sells those as working they will 99% of the time work. nes is the exception to this rule but those usually have quite an easy fix. but again it's usually stated as broken if it is.

Disc based consoles are not harder to come by considering most of them are common as hell with tons of sales. ps1 and ps2 had 100+ M console units sold these are some of the most common things ever hence why you can find them for around 10$. and xbox collecting is just underated in general. I don't know if it's as cheap over there as here, but I can't imagine prices being identical to ebay or amazon if your going to more local 2nd hand sites where the common folks sell their stuff.

if where talking sega cd, dreamcast saturn yes, but ps1 ps2 or xbox are not harder to come by compared to an snes or genesis console by far not.

If I where to go for an xbox ps2 or ps1 console by ebay within europe I would on average have to pay 50+ excluding shipping instead of 10$ when I go to the more local 2nd hand sites.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:31:28 pm by sworddude »