Author Topic: What do you do with price tag stickers and receipts?  (Read 1229 times)

Warmsignal

What do you do with price tag stickers and receipts?
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:06:23 am »
Are they meant for the garbage?

The former me would agree with that. However, as my obsessive compulsive tendency continue to spiral, I've increased my habits on this in last 5 years. Well, actually I've sort of always saved my store receipts since the early days of game collecting... and now I even save the price tag stickers. I don't really have a good reason to save those, I used to rip them straight off and trash them. Now usually place them inside the game case. I guess it's to reflect back on how much I paid. It would have been interesting to have done this more often in the past, especially with systems like the Nintendo DS, showing where every game I paid $12 for is now a couple hundred complete.

Of course, this stuff is just trash ultimately. I have a shoe-box full of receipts and lot of receipts are also inside of the cases. To me, it just feels like an obsessive habit that I wish I didn't have, but maybe some day someone will find it all the more intriguing to see the evidence of where all this stuff originated from.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:07:59 am by Warmsignal »

sworddude

Re: What do you do with price tag stickers and receipts?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:10:53 am »
I sometimes see an old school receipt with my retro games with say cube snes sega ps2 games alongside the budget bin or full retail prices that people paid for them way back. in those rare cases that they are still there I'll just keep those within the game cases for fun. only if the condition is still nice and tidy however.

Price tags I will remove unless it ain't on a notable spot plus if they where to look nice. the price tag and title of said game  can look pretty nice.

I don't however store them in seperate boxes if it's not within the games I just trash them. It's a small blast from the past in my eyes.

I don't do so for current or last gen though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:15:29 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 12:05:31 pm »
I try to keep receipts for games in their case and any stickers that may be on the plastic wrap.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 01:06:55 pm »
I used to keep receipts in the boxes. Some of the games I've held onto like my preorder copy of the first Uncharted... I still have the receipt for that. It was kind of neat to look back on it late last year when I put that copy in a shadowbox. Receipt still lives in the box which is now displayed on my wall.

As for price stickers... they were always removed and tossed. I preferred to see the full box art than see an ugly price tag slapped on it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 01:34:04 pm »
I used to take them all off. But now, some of them are kind of nostalgic. I mean if I find a game with an old rental sticker or an old FuncoLand sticker, it's like a relic of the past and I keep them on there.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 02:41:42 pm »
A few yers ago I would have absolutely answered remove them all! The game needs to be in as pristine, original condition as possible! However, my attitude has changed somewhat since then.

I feel like all video games have a destiny of their own and price stickers and other signs of the game ending up in one place or another over time are a part of that history. While it happens less and less, I love coming across old price stickers from places like EBX, Game Crazy, or KB Toys on old games, and typically if its from one of these older bygone game stores I will leave the stickers on for retail posterity. However, if its a Gamestop sticker or generic price sticker I typically remove it. Sure, someday I might regret this when Gamestop or Best Buy are gone, but for now I really don't care and would rather gave the game looking clean and nice.

So I guess you can say I remove the stickers and clean up probably 95% of my games these days with a few exceptions here and there.

Oh! and one cool, uncleaned game I have is actually from an independent rental store where I used to rent all my movies and games back in the early and mid 90s. It was a place called Famous Video and I rented pretty much all my Genesis and SNES games from there back in the day. I found a copy of Soldier of Fortune on the Genesis that still had several Famous Video stickers on it. Despite having never played that game, the fact that it was among the many games I browsed as a young kid that game is one of the most special and important in my collection, and one I will never sell. You can bet I will never remove the stickers from that game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:44:27 pm by bikingjahuty »

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 02:55:35 pm »

Oh! and one cool, uncleaned game I have is actually from an independent rental store where I used to rent all my movies and games back in the early and mid 90s. It was a place called Famous Video and I rented pretty much all my Genesis and SNES games from there back in the day. I found a copy of Soldier of Fortune on the Genesis that still had several Famous Video stickers on it. Despite having never played that game, the fact that it was among the many games I browsed as a young kid that game is one of the most special and important in my collection, and one I will never sell. You can bet I will never remove the stickers from that game.

That's always a treat. I've got a copy of P.O.W. for the NES, which has a sticker on it from my long defunct local video rental store I used to rent all of my games from back in the day. Most likely a copy that I scanned over at one point as a kid, when all I had to go on for choosing a rental was the cover art itself.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 03:18:15 pm »

That's always a treat. I've got a copy of P.O.W. for the NES, which has a sticker on it from my long defunct local video rental store I used to rent all of my games from back in the day. Most likely a copy that I scanned over at one point as a kid, when all I had to go on for choosing a rental was the cover art itself.

That's the thing, Soldier of Fortune is definitely the type of game I would have picked up and looked at back in the day, which i'm 99% sure I did at one point or another. That alone makes it even more special that I have it and not a game like Madden 95 or Beauty and the Beast which are two games that would have never interested me back then.

While not games, two things I would absolutely die if I ever found are the VHS copies of Mortal Kombat or Godzilla 1985 I used to rent all the time from that rental store. I probably rented each of those movies about 10 times each as a kid and watched them easily over 30 times during that period of time. I'd literally request to be buried with those if I ever found them. Unfortunately I'm sure the only place where those movies are buried is in a landfill somewhere under 25-years of garbage at this point.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 06:10:16 pm »
I put receipts in game case and restick the price tag to inside of case if possible.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 04:27:53 am »
If there is a sticker over the sealed game wrapping I try preserve it and them sitck it on inisde the case - Had this with my Last of Us 2 Stellbook & FFVII Remake on PS4.

If the sticker is on the case promoting review scores or bonus content I leave it.

Store stickers I don't consider part of the oriignal product so they go.

Receipts I sometimes keep in the case.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 04:30:02 am »
While I have seen some interesting novelty with people finding old retro games and still having the receipts and seeing them bought from stores that are defunct or were pricey or very cheap, receipts and price tag stickers go directly into the trash for me.  Heck, most games don't even have price tags on them anymore that I've seen unless you are buying a used game from Gamestop.  Best Buy might, I forget, I haven't bought a game from there in years at this point.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 07:06:12 pm »
I remove price stickers, but that's all.

Receipts? I never keep those.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 08:13:06 pm »
If the game has the case I keep them.
If don't and they are from games with a date from last week and the name of game being from "Super Mario Galaxy" to "Mario Game Wii Super".

I have no problem considering it recycle material.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2022, 09:43:27 am »
Original price labels can stay. Recent price labels from a modern game store or second-hand store I will remove.
Original price labels even on a newer release might not make sense to keep, but that store might not exist in the future. Same goes for rental labels, I leave those on. Here are some examples:
https://imgur.com/gallery/sS89R
https://i.imgur.com/sPB6JJF.jpg

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 09:08:26 pm »
I only save the receipts if it shows the title of the game on it.
If it just says Xbox 19.99 etc., it goes in the recycle bin.

I use to put the receipt in the jewel case with the games until it bled through to the instruction manual one time. They go in a box now.