Author Topic: The PS4+Switch will be the most interesting/frustrating consoles to collect for  (Read 1396 times)

Even though the PS4 is still Sony's main console despite the PS5 being out (few people who want one can find one still), it's been a console I've continuously found fascinating in terms of collecting. Obviously there's the LRG, SRG type titles, but in addition to that there are so many small retail releases that you would have missed if you blinked. I browse Amazon occasionally for PS4 games that I may have missed and it's crazy how many physical releases there are for games I've never heard of or seen. I feel like all things considered the PS4 is going to be a hell of a console to collect for, and it has been for many of us who've kept up with stuff from Limited Run, IM8B, Super Rare and the other limited production run game companies. i mean this in the sense that the PS4 will probably be the most interesting, odd library of games to collect for since probably the NES, but also also one of the most frustrating too. So many of these games are unknown to 99% of PS4 owners and then there's all the limited production stuff which you had to be on top of if you were able to get them. I believe now is the time to start collecting for it, especially these way more obscure, rare titles since someday I think they'll be very difficult and expensive to acquire.

I believe everything I said above is even more true for the Switch, mostly because it's a Nintendo console. As we all known enthusiasm for Nintendo collecting is definitely the craziest as are its collector prices. Fortunately for me, the PS4 is my default choice for multiplats, but there have still been a ton of Switch exclusives that I've had to jump on too over the years.

But if you haven't already, I'd start getting on top of PS4 and Switch collecting if you ever plan on getting into it. It's going to be a fun yet very bumpy ride lol.

telekill

Is it possible to have a complete collection for modern systems given that so many titles have released as digital only?

I mean... even if you take all the digital titles out... the thousands of games... I don't envy those of you undergoing the quest of full collections for modern systems. Heck... even retro collections are now very difficult to achieve if you haven't been on top of it for a while now.

soera

At one time, I did have the largest known number of physical ps4 titles in the world. I had gotten over 1100 distinct titles and this was in 2019. I can totally agree that keeping up with the sheer number of releases is just a chore. I finally had gotten to the point where I was buying games on a daily basis and a large portion (probably 75% or more) were titles that I had no interest in ever playing.

I did however stick with my console and controller collection. I'm missing 1 console and 1 controller for me to consider it complete. There are others of both I do not have but its (console wise) just HDD cover differences or (controller wise) a different color of a specific limited edition controller.

Is it possible to have a complete collection for modern systems given that so many titles have released as digital only?

I mean... even if you take all the digital titles out... the thousands of games... I don't envy those of you undergoing the quest of full collections for modern systems. Heck... even retro collections are now very difficult to achieve if you haven't been on top of it for a while now.

I don't consider having digital games ownership; you have nothing tangible that you can trade, sell, or hold. I know people sell consoles loaded with digital games for more money than ones without, but the games are still just files on the PS4's HDD what disappear forever if that ever goes.

But I'm not even necessarily talking about a full set, just going after good or decent games on the console. If someone was going for a full set may God have mercy on their soul...

sworddude

I wouldn't count digital to a full set physical only. Collecting digital is not really a thing I'd say you buy and use digital you don't have much to show for with digital It's more of a personal thing. It's good that it exists but that's just my 2 cents on digital.

However Considering all the ''limited releases that are out there" unless you bought them at release from limited run and such at full price it's going to be hell.

This isn't like the past where a mom could have bought those rare snes ps1 sega cube or ps2 titles in a budget bin for a couple of $. The people that have these exclusive titles are collectors or players not regular people like in the past, wich made it really fun imo.

I don't think where going to get crazy prices with a majority of them considering these products are made to collect however they will probably retain there value or go a bit up years later so it's always going to be quite pricy to get. plus the supply ain't that big for most of these rarer releases and physical being on it's way out. there will probably not be any time windows to get them for cheap. however some releases might devalue if they get released on newer platforms but that's hard to tell.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:09:55 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

I think I've stated before, that I sort of view any intentionally low print "get it on day of release or it's gone" type of games to reside in that grey area not unlike so many NES unlicensed games. Nobody has the time and the money to commit themselves to every day and hour some small company wants to drop a limited print game. A lot of these games are already kinda gross at $35 - $40 when put on sale, but the re-seller average of doubling that price is egregious bullshit. I'd never pay $80 for a physical game which retails digitally for maybe $15. It's all falsely inflated because it's meant to be a collectible for the start and re-sellers just prey on that FOMO.

As far as I'm concerned, those companies can keep their overpriced wares. I will however, give my money to any company, or retailer who'll continue to print/sell a game for a reasonable amount of time on an open market. Companies like ININ, which retail on Amazon have been printing and selling their obscure releases for a good while now. None of that arbitrary 2500 copies only! Get yours on so and so date, or miss out bullshit. So, I'll happily buy games put out by ININ. Companies like Strictly Limited can kiss my ass, and I'd never considering buying any of that noise second hand either.

I've been collecting Switch since 2018, and most of my library consists of indie titles put out physically, however all of them are true retail titles that anyone could get fairly priced with reasonable effort. My most recent acquisition was Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion; an obscure indie title put out by Graffiti games. If Limited Run had put that out, they'd do maybe 3,000 copies and charge $40 for it. Graffiti is reprinting as long as will be viable, and it retailed at $25. I'll continue to pick up titles like this, in support of smaller publishers with reasonable and non-gimmick based productions. The rest might as well not even be a thing, as far as I care. Doesn't matter what they put out, I won't support their shenanigans in the least.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:50:15 am by Warmsignal »

I can totally agree that keeping up with the sheer number of releases is just a chore. I finally had gotten to the point where I was buying games on a daily basis and a large portion (probably 75% or more) were titles that I had no interest in ever playing.

I feel the same way, is there really no place to keep track of physical releases? Like a website or app to sign up in to be notified whenever a new physical release or reprint is announced?

As far as I'm concerned, those companies can keep their overpriced wares. I will however, give my money to any company, or retailer who'll continue to print/sell a game for a reasonable amount of time on an open market. Companies like ININ, which retail on Amazon have been printing and selling their obscure releases for a good while now. None of that arbitrary 2500 copies only! Get yours on so and so date, or miss out bullshit. So, I'll happily buy games put out by ININ. Companies like Strictly Limited can kiss my ass, and I'd never considering buying any of that noise second hand either.

I've been collecting Switch since 2018, and most of my library consists of indie titles put out physically, however all of them are true retail titles that anyone could get fairly priced with reasonable effort. My most recent acquisition was Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion; an obscure indie title put out by Graffiti games. If Limited Run had put that out, they'd do maybe 3,000 copies and charge $40 for it. Graffiti is reprinting as long as will be viable, and it retailed at $25. I'll continue to pick up titles like this, in support of smaller publishers with reasonable and non-gimmick based productions. The rest might as well not even be a thing, as far as I care. Doesn't matter what they put out, I won't support their shenanigans in the least.

I appreciate you mentioning those two publishers because I've been wondering for a while what publisher should I go with in case I ever made a game, especially when it comes to physical releases. I'd never want to put people through the BS I already have to go through with LRG. By the way, what do you think about Fangamer? Their physical indie releases don't seem too limited.

But I'm not even necessarily talking about a full set, just going after good or decent games on the console.

Yeah, that's always been my approach when collecting games, be it for modern or retro consoles, though that might also have to do with the fact that I never had much money to begin with (still don't) so I've always had to be picky when it comes to buying games, which I still am.

soera

I can totally agree that keeping up with the sheer number of releases is just a chore. I finally had gotten to the point where I was buying games on a daily basis and a large portion (probably 75% or more) were titles that I had no interest in ever playing.

I feel the same way, is there really no place to keep track of physical releases? Like a website or app to sign up in to be notified whenever a new physical release or reprint is announced?

I actually kept a pretty extensive list of all releases, upcoming releases, all LRG titles, all limited game publishers, etc on the PlayStation Age website before it was bought out and deleted.

Warmsignal

Why do all of these invaluable database websites keep getting bought out and deleted? Nintendo Age, PS Collecting, etc. Just poof and then nothing from the new owners... What the actual hell?

brothertuc

I basically only collect titles I want to play, so I'll never ever reach a complete collection for any console.
However, I do occasionally see a title that's so bizarre or something, that I have to buy it.

pzeke

At one time, I did have the largest known number of physical ps4 titles in the world.

[...]

That's a lofty claim. As the kids say these days: where's the receipt?

I don't consider having digital games ownership; you have nothing tangible that you can trade, sell, or hold [...]

Depends on the country you live in...but that's fodder for another topic.

And trust me, I own them.

EDIT:

[...] there will probably not be any time windows to get them for cheap. however some releases might devalue if they get released on newer platforms but that's hard to tell.

A good example of this is Blasphemous, and the Power Rangers fighting game as well. While checking a list of LRG releases it seems there could be other examples, but I'm not interested in cross-checking which at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:16:01 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!