Author Topic: Ever bought a game for a system you didn't own?  (Read 1613 times)

brothertuc

Ever bought a game for a system you didn't own?
« on: March 18, 2022, 11:59:07 am »
Like the headline says...
Have you ever bought a game for a system you didn't own? Maybe you knew you were getting the system later, or maybe you just liked the game?
Or do you steer clear from systems you don't own?

I must admit, I own a few N64 and Gamecube games, but have yet to invest in the consoles. I also bought loads of PS2 games before I actually bought the console itself. So... what about you?

tripredacus

Re: Ever bought a game for a system you didn't own?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 12:18:43 pm »
Maybe think that this topic would be better suited as "bought a game before you bought the system" type of question. I mean, consider what website you are asking your question on.  ;D

But to humor you, in regards to your question there are two particular phases I went through. The first is before I collected video games, I would often buy games for systems I didn't have but a friend had and I could play them at their house. Did this for N64 for sure, not sure what else. Also before I was a collector, I remember buying Virtua Fighter on Game.com and never had that system. But nowadays, there are plenty of games I have gotten that I don't have a way to play.

For my re-imagination of the question, there are just a few examples where I bought a game before a system. I had bought one of the Gundam games for PS2 many months before I bought a PS2. And I recall being excited to finally play it and then found that I didn't like it and got rid of it. Another example is any Japanese Saturn games that I had bought, even to more than a decade ago. I didn't get a Japanese Saturn until recently.

brothertuc

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 12:24:33 pm »
Maybe think that this topic would be better suited as "bought a game before you bought the system" type of question. I mean, consider what website you are asking your question on.  ;D

Fair enough  ;D
But I haven't personally got that many systems yet, as I got into collecting somewhat late in life (my 30's), so as a result, I do own a few games for systems I don't own. But with every intent to get those systems someway down the line. I also acquired a big PS3 collection, before even buying the console.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:28:51 pm by brothertuc »

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 12:47:39 pm »
Only a couple of times.  I've got a couple of Game Gear games, despite never having had a Game Gear.  I also ran across a boxed Sega CD version of Prince of Persia for $1, so I couldn't pass that up.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 12:49:39 pm »
There have been multiple instances in my early days when I got games withouth ever owning the console until months and in some cases almost 1 year later.

If a deal is that good and I would want to play it at some point anyway I will get it regardless if I own the console or not. Didn't have much to lose at that point.

ps1, master system sega cd and xbox come to mind as collections that started off before owning the console.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:51:35 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 01:07:34 pm »
I once owned a couple Dreamcast games (specifically Shenmue) without owning a Dreamcast. Then when the 3rd game was on it's way out and the 1 and 2 HD remasters were announced, I sold it.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 02:11:44 pm »
I don’t think I’ve ever done that, but I do have the opposite problem. I’ve owned a Sega Master System for a few years, but I still don’t have any games.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

telekill

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 03:48:27 pm »
The only times I've bought a game when I didn't have the system is when I was contemplating my shadowbox projects. I had bought complete near mint copies of Jurassic Park on Game Gear, Genesis and Sega CD. I no longer had the Sega CD but have kept my copy of the game regardless that it didn't end up in its own shadowbox.

Same for my complete copies of Ninja Turtles (NES) and Shenmue (DC)... but they ended up in shadowboxes and are on display.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 04:11:44 pm »
I don’t think I’ve ever done that, but I do have the opposite problem. I’ve owned a Sega Master System for a few years, but I still don’t have any games.

Me, but with Sega Saturn.

gngtiger

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 04:15:37 pm »
I have Super Breakout for the Atari 2600 despite not owning the console, because it was in the dollar bin at my local retro game shop. Hope to collect one game for every major console, regardless of whether or not I own said console.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 05:23:11 pm »
I owned a couple NES games before getting a NES. I used to take them to my friends house to play. I knew I would get on eventually, lol

I also bought a few PS3 games (Holiday clearance) before finally getting a PS3. I also knew I'd eventually break down and get one.

I currently have 1 sealed PS5 game that I bought dirt cheap, though I have no intentions of getting a PS5.

Digitally, I have almost 2 dozen XBX/S games (Usually acquired through cross buy) despite not knowing if I'll ever get one.

I have 1 sealed PSP game, 4 sealed Vita games, 4 sealed PS2 games (+2 used), and 4 sealed Switch games. I don't have, have never had, nor do I expect to ever own any of those systems. They were picked up super cheap and I figured I'd rather have them just in case (I was hoping to get a Vita once upon a time, but not happening now)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 05:27:21 pm by wolff242 »

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 06:27:08 pm »
Yes.

At the time, I was living in a children's home & they had a NES system with only two games (Castlevania II: Simon's Quest & R.C. Pro-Am). I ended up buying Double Dragon, Wrath of the Black Manta, Target: Renegade, & Ghosts 'N Goblins. After I moved away from the home, I had my 4 NES title, but no system to play them on.

That is until my brother & I went half way on buying a NES system with no game & two controllers.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 06:51:39 pm »
I think I had a few dozen Xbox 360 games before I had a 360 of my own. Main reason was one of my friends bought a 360 for himself, but his mom had turned into the full "Video games are the devil and will corrupt kids' minds with all that sex and violence" mindsets. So to avoid the lectures or having it thrown out/destroyed, his console was hidden at my place. I then started buying games for it myself, and quickly my collection surpassed his. I did have my own system by the time he managed to escape his overbearing parents to college and finally could game whenever he wanted.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 11:02:49 am »
The two examples of this that come to mind are when I was about 10 and I was so obsessed with wanting my own PC, mostly to game on, that I actually spent like $40 on a brand new copy of Myth the Fallen Lords. I think I ended up getting a PC about 9-months later and my friends called me stupid for doing it, but it was so worth it.

The other example is how I own about 5 XBONE games with the intention of buying an XBONE console eventually. There are probably only a dozen XBONE games I even care about so I've sent my top dollar on one of the console's pretty low, as in under $100. So eventually I will own one, but currently do not.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 04:29:41 pm »
The whole reason why I'm on VGcollect has to do with this. I bought my very first 3DO game in 2017 back when I was a teenager. The game was OverDrivin'. I Google searched the game and found a link to itm#15478. That's how I found VGcollect and that what fueled me to start collecting. Eventually I got my first 3DO console in 2021.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!