Author Topic: Have You Ever Played (Earthbound) ROM or SNES Cartridge?  (Read 1625 times)

Have You Ever Played (Earthbound) ROM or SNES Cartridge?
« on: March 21, 2022, 12:26:20 pm »
Most people know this is a vary expensive game to own a cartridge of, how many of you actually played it or better yet played it with it's cartridge, some of you might still have it sealed in that case you probably are just keeping it for the money exchange and don't give a damn about the game itself, I have a SNES mini and have it officially on that as a Nintendo released ROM not a bootleg, or the cartridge itself but it still goes for a pretty penny just to own a Super Nintendo classic. anyway just wondered if anybody has tried to play it?

Currently I just started it and it's like Pokémon, vary vary similar in difficulty, and so far it's been a fun game I love Earthbound it's a fun little RPG with same difficulty and style as Pokémon, you go at your own pace, no forced boss fights in the beginning unlike FF7 for the PlayStation console.

(edit) sorry to sound harsh for sealed earthbound owners but? why have a game if you're not ever going to play it right? and you can admit I am jealous of you :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 12:29:56 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dhaabi

Re: Have You Ever Played (Earthbound) ROM or SNES Cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:47:39 pm »
(edit) sorry to sound harsh for sealed earthbound owners but? why have a game if you're not ever going to play it right? and you can admit I am jealous of you :-\

Someone can own a sealed copy of EarthBound while also having played it through other official means, such as the SNES Mini as you mentioned before or through the Wii U eShop, for example, or they could own a loose or open copy as well.

telly

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 01:09:05 pm »
My roommate in college had a box full of old Super Nintendo games and Earthbound was one of them. I later played it again on the SNES classic. Both play the exact same from my recollection.

It's funny that you mention Pokémon since part of Earthbound development team went on to work on the Pokémon games as Creatures Inc. I feel like there's only a light similarity between the two though. Mostly about a kid leaving town on his own.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 01:56:57 pm »
I've played both and also the official eshop release. Ironically I'm not a massive fan of the game either, but was obviously curious to see what all the hype was.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 02:24:08 pm »
At this point, if you own a sealed copy of pretty much and NES, SNES, or Sega game you are much better off playing the titles through other avenues - especially something with a price tag like Earthbound.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 07:04:25 pm »
I played through it once on Wii U and once on the actual cartridge when I got it a few years later. I've been wanting to play it again but I remember Mother 3 being the far superior game, so if I revisit the series, I'll probably give Mother 3 priority. I started playing EarthBound Beginnings, but never really got into it aside from the music.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 08:31:20 am »
I played it all the way through when it came to 3DS and mostly remember its gameplay being a blatant carbon copy of Dragon Quest, but not nearly as well balanced. It's really the kind of game you play for the weird dialog more than anything else, but I've played worse 16 bit RPGs.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 09:48:54 am »
EarthBound is one of my favourite games of all time, and though I can accept this is mostly due to the rose coloured tint of nostalgia, I still have an honest appreciation for the game and it's wacky humour. My copy is CiB but I didn't purchase it as a collector's piece. My mother bought it for me when I was in sixth grade and of all my childhood SNES games, it was the only one I kept the box for due to the novelty of the giant box. (As a side note, there is no such thing as a "sealed" copy of EarthBound. Unopened is the best you can get, if you can prove it. The box was never sealed in shrink wrap like standard sized SNES boxes)

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 09:42:43 pm »
I’m a huge Earthbound fan as well. I used to rent it fairly often before I bought a copy, it’s hard without the guide.  I purchased it in 1998-ish when a local store had a huge pile of them on clearance for like $30 I think. I used to play it once a year for a long time, but with kids and a fairly demanding job, I haven’t been able to in a while.  Still one of my all time favorites.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 09:57:01 pm »
I never have, as it came out when I wasn't into gaming anymore. Sounds like I may need to pick it up on the wii-u store before it's too late.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 10:23:03 pm »
I highly recommend Earthbound especially for Pokémon fans, the game is slightly harder then Pokémon but not by much since there is an in-game (hint) place you can purchase in-game hints for money earned on your adventure from the kid's dad in the game for gaining experience by fighting various enemies.

You basically level up your character you can also buy food and drinks to carry with you in order to defeat enemies when you take a lot of hits, now the combat is actually 5x harder than Pokémon you since your character really takes a beating and you must face your enemies at the start of the encounter in order not to get a surprise hit to your health bar but so far in my playthrough of Earthbound I have not seen any hidden enemies on screen since the battles occur when you run into them rather the grass like Pokémon though :-\

this game is Pokémon on steroids' in my own opinion 8)

Also bosses and enemies can call for help, and add members to the fight as well as heal themselves so yea combat take more strategy than Pokémon but the game itself is easier to understand then Pokémon  because of the hint system and there is far more NPC to talk to in Earthbound than in most Gameboy Pokémon games too

in the 1st town there is also 2 food shops, 1 hospital, 1 store a city hall, a police station lots of houses a hotel, home house an arcade and more, man this game is fun and a lot better the Pokémon since you have more buildings you can even save up cash and buy a house, get in trouble with the towns police and it's this game takes a Loooong time to beat I'm probably already 14 hours in and I have only just won the 2nd boss, I forgot how many places you need to go before beating it.

the bee bug in the beginning tells you exactly how many worlds you need to go through maybe 9 not  I only beat 2 at 14 hours in the game. This game is a lot about grinding and leveling up and lots of action Highly recommended :D

if you not carefull the enemies will kick your ass by the way sometimes
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:25:54 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 10:16:07 pm »
It's my one and only bootleg cartridge. I played a ways into it, never finished it. It was okay. I think it just carries the distinction of being one of the first classic games that many collectors first heard mentioned online a lot, and described as a "must have" game. It also is one of the few games which never completely lost all of it's value between the late 90s and the mid 00s, perhaps because it's standard retail price was always higher than most games given it's strategy guide big box bundle.

I dunno, some obviously still swear by the game, but personally I don't see it as like a top 10 SNES game or anything.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 11:13:24 pm »
I actually began the year buying an Earthbound cart with the box stuffed and mangled in a rental plastic case then got a CRT TV a month later just to sit down and play through the whole thing, just around when it was going on NSO too! It was a great experience to sit down with nothing else to distract me than the game itself, and I really wouldn't have it any other way.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 10:34:14 am »
Strangely, even though I was big into the SNES back in the day, I never heard of EarthBound until I encountered all the internet hype years later. I tried it on an emulator but only for a short time. I’m glad it’s on Switch now so I can experience it properly. I’m planning to start it at some point soon.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 01:23:16 am »
It's my one and only bootleg cartridge. I played a ways into it, never finished it. It was okay. I think it just carries the distinction of being one of the first classic games that many collectors first heard mentioned online a lot, and described as a "must have" game. It also is one of the few games which never completely lost all of it's value between the late 90s and the mid 00s, perhaps because it's standard retail price was always higher than most games given it's strategy guide big box bundle.

I dunno, some obviously still swear by the game, but personally I don't see it as like a top 10 SNES game or anything.

this game is my most favorite RPG so far, but I really have not played that many RPG's yet in my life :-\ but this is definitely my top ten on my RPG list

NO APPS NEEDED