Author Topic: Modern Physical Games  (Read 1465 times)

Modern Physical Games
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:10:21 am »
I've recently been collecting for PS4 and recently purchased a PS5 but recently came across what Xbox is doing with their physical games - PS4 games and PS5 games are still releasing sanctimoniously (much the same as last generation), but recently noticed that Xbox games now release as Xbox games, compatible with both Xbox one, series S, series X and I absolutely love that idea so much that I'm considering switching over to Xbox

I enjoy collecting the same games on multiple platforms if I collect for said system, for example I love collecting PS4 as I have hundreds of physical games for it, however I also want the next gen experience with the PS5 and to start off my PS5 collection but seeing the way Xbox are handling it is way more appealing

I thought I would sign up and make a thread about this because I have not seen or heard anyone even mentioning this at all and I'm curious to see what peoples opinions are on this, definitely seems like Xbox is now the way to go for modern game collectors but I would love to hear your thoughts

If things continue this way I think I may just start purchasing all the games for Xbox and sell off the majority of my PS4 collection just keeping the exclusives

Re: Modern Physical Games
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:02:12 am »
I definitely love the way Xbox is doing it.

I currently only collect for Nintendo handheld systems, but I do have quite a few 360 games that would play on Series X, as well as a handful of Xbox One games even though I have no way of playing them currently   XD   I actually just took advantage of GameStop's buy 2 get 1 free sale they had going and picked up Nier Replicant, Resident Evil 3, and The Forgotten City for Xbox. It was a great deal.

I was already planning on getting a Series X whenever the next Elder Scrolls game dropped. Because, at least initially, it will be an Xbox exclusive. But considering I can play most of my old 360 games and the Xbox One games on the Series X, it's a sure thing that I'm definitely getting a Series X over a PS5. And I do say this as someone that has owned all other Playstation consoles except the 5.

Xbox is definitely killing it right now. I'm diggin' it.

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:14 am »
The majority of cross-platform PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 titles released for the former include a free update to the PlayStation 5 version, so the difference between modern physical PlayStation and Xbox games in that regard is minimal.

To me, the way Microsoft has packaged this generation of games was decided on cost-effective measures and taking the next step in their goal in having Xbox be recognized as a brand and not a console.

definitely seems like Xbox is now the way to go for modern game collectors but I would love to hear your thoughts

Had you said modern gamers, I would agree. Modern game collectors? Not at all. Microsoft isn't stopping their push for their successful Xbox Game Pass subscription service and Xbox Cloud Gaming anytime soon which only diminishes physical gaming media further.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 12:34:50 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 12:43:06 pm »
I definitely love the way Xbox is doing it.

I currently only collect for Nintendo handheld systems, but I do have quite a few 360 games that would play on Series X, as well as a handful of Xbox One games even though I have no way of playing them currently   XD   I actually just took advantage of GameStop's buy 2 get 1 free sale they had going and picked up Nier Replicant, Resident Evil 3, and The Forgotten City for Xbox. It was a great deal.

I was already planning on getting a Series X whenever the next Elder Scrolls game dropped. Because, at least initially, it will be an Xbox exclusive. But considering I can play most of my old 360 games and the Xbox One games on the Series X, it's a sure thing that I'm definitely getting a Series X over a PS5. And I do say this as someone that has owned all other Playstation consoles except the 5.

Xbox is definitely killing it right now. I'm diggin' it.

Absolutely, as a PlayStation collector I’m very jealous lol

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 12:48:00 pm »
The majority of cross-platform PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 titles released for the former include a free update to the PlayStation 5 version, so the difference between modern physical PlayStation and Xbox games in that regard is minimal.

To me, the way Microsoft has packaged this generation of games was decided on cost-effective measures and taking the next step in their goal in having Xbox be recognized as a brand and not a console.

definitely seems like Xbox is now the way to go for modern game collectors but I would love to hear your thoughts

Had you said modern gamers, I would agree. Modern game collectors? Not at all. Microsoft isn't stopping their push for their successful Xbox Game Pass subscription service and Xbox Cloud Gaming anytime soon which only diminishes physical gaming media further.

The next gen upgrade is something I see thrown about a lot but so far every recent release from PS4 I’ve got that is available on PS5 offers no such thing, the closest thing I’ve seen is a reduced price digitally for GTA 5 on PS5. Also on the topic of GTA, the GRA Trilogy doesn’t even have a physical PS5 version, what is that about? Lol and again it offers no next gen upgrade

I also disagree with the collectors/modern gamers thing, I would say PlayStation has a much better future for modern gamers not only due to way more exclusives and the Xbox exclusives coming to PC, but also the new PS plus revamp which has potential to leave game pass in the dust. Physical games aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, it’s not like Xbox is going to stop and there will always be a huge demand for physical games imo

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 12:56:04 pm »
I understand Xbox's reasoning for doing it since a lot of people can't get a new Series X or Series S console. And this ensures more sales for them.

But as an Xbox Series X owner it's a bit frustrating because they are holding back the potential of this powerful hardware by doing so. If the games are made to run on inferior hardware, then they aren't being made to fully take advantage of the new hardware. So I personally hope they move away from this policy so I can really see what my Series X can do. I paid a lot of money for exactly this reason.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 01:31:51 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 01:25:35 pm »
I understand Xbox's reasoning for doing it since a lot of people can't get a new Series X or Series S console. And this ensures more sales for them.

But as an Xbox Series X owner it's a bit frustrating because they are holding back the potential of this powerful hardware by doing so. Of the games are made to run on inferior hardware, then they aren't being made to fully take advantage of the new hardware. So I personally hope they move away from this policy so I can really see what my Series X can do. I paid a lot of money for exactly this reason.
Series S will likely continue to hold games back once Xbox One and PS4 are no longer supported.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 04:49:42 pm »
The way the initial post reads, then seeing someone reply to it with such resounding affirmation sound like someone shilling a product.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 07:19:50 pm »

But as an Xbox Series X owner it's a bit frustrating because they are holding back the potential of this powerful hardware by doing so. If the games are made to run on inferior hardware, then they aren't being made to fully take advantage of the new hardware. So I personally hope they move away from this policy so I can really see what my Series X can do. I paid a lot of money for exactly this reason.

Wait so they are inferior to the PS5 versions for this reason?

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 08:30:50 pm »

That's not how Xbox's cross-gen is working though. The games have a One version and a Series S/X version, but will install the correct version depending on the system. If I pop in my Assassin's Creed Valhalla disc into my One, I'm playing the One version. But if I take that same disc and put it into my Series X, I'm playing the Series X version on it, not the One version on the Series X.

The concept Microsoft is working with is that when you buy a game, you don't need to worry about what system you're buying it for. You just buy the game, and when you want to play it, you get the version designed for the system you are currently playing on. And additionally, even if you jump between systems, all the saves and such get transferred too, as it's considered the same game, not a different instance. There are some exceptions out there, like the most recent Call of Duty, but for the most part, Xbox games are singular purchases now rather than needing to buy the same game multiple times just to play it on the latest systems.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:33:17 pm by emporerdragon »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 08:41:13 pm »

That's not how Xbox's cross-gen is working though. The games have a One version and a Series S/X version, but will install the correct version depending on the system. If I pop in my Assassin's Creed Valhalla disc into my One, I'm playing the One version. But if I take that same disc and put it into my Series X, I'm playing the Series X version on it, not the One version on the Series X.

The concept Microsoft is working with is that when you buy a game, you don't need to worry about what system you're buying it for. You just buy the game, and when you want to play it, you get the version designed for the system you are currently playing on. And additionally, even if you jump between systems, all the saves and such get transferred too, as it's considered the same game, not a different instance. There are some exceptions out there, like the most recent Call of Duty, but for the most part, Xbox games are singular purchases now rather than needing to buy the same game multiple times just to play it on the latest systems.

Developers are going to go for the lowest common denominator and then just put a shiny coat of paint over it for the "upgraded" version. You are not going to get a state-of-the-art engine under that coat of paint. The newest upcoming Unreal engine, for example, is going to sputter and lag on the older systems.

dhaabi

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 08:47:42 pm »
But as an Xbox Series X owner it's a bit frustrating because they are holding back the potential of this powerful hardware by doing so. Of the games are made to run on inferior hardware, then they aren't being made to fully take advantage of the new hardware. So I personally hope they move away from this policy so I can really see what my Series X can do. I paid a lot of money for exactly this reason.

Isn't this to be expected, though? There is always a transition period between generations with many games being cross-platform during this time (PS3/PS4, 360/One, and so forth.)

Series S will likely continue to hold games back once Xbox One and PS4 are no longer supported.

Can you elaborate on how only Series S and not also PS5 Digital Edition is an issue in this regard to someone not knowledgeable?

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 09:58:38 pm »
Short version is that Series S is a less powerful machine than the Series X, where the physical and digital versions of the PS5 have the same specs.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 03:31:32 am »
I thought I have seen recently more Xbox games with  the SERIES S/X exclsuive casing? It says on the box Xbox Series X + Xbox One or just  Xbox Series X

I like the idea of my disc working on both PS4/PS5 equivalent but how does it work on Xbox? Is the data on the disc native to the game and the console adapts or does it do what the PS5 does with PS4 Upgrades - Downloads the PS5 version from the PS Store and uses the PS4 disc as a key to access the game.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 07:16:51 am »

Isn't this to be expected, though? There is always a transition period between generations with many games being cross-platform during this time (PS3/PS4, 360/One, and so forth.)

Can you elaborate on how only Series S and not also PS5 Digital Edition is an issue in this regard to someone not knowledgeable?
Series S is much weaker compared to Series X where the PS5 digital is the same as the disc where the only difference is not having a disc drive.