Author Topic: Uploading additional images to an item  (Read 686 times)

Uploading additional images to an item
« on: June 28, 2022, 01:37:04 pm »
I uploaded box front and back for this Wii charger https://vgcollect.com/item/119302.  When the edit was approved it removed the item image.  Is that a bug?  I thought it would have been additive.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Uploading additional images to an item
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 05:30:04 pm »
I haven't had this issue. Only when I add a new picture, that it wouldn't load for me after approval.
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 09:22:06 am »
The loose item image was in front box art, so if you want to save that image and put in a box art, you have to save the image and resubmit it in the correct slot.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 11:15:37 am »
An easy way to discern if the front art slot is being used or not is by whether the gray NO ART placeholder image is used. If the placeholder isn't present, then the first image is occupying that slot. And, no matter what type of artwork is being used, if something else is submitted in that same slot, it will be overwritten.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 07:18:13 pm »
Ahh I didnt even think of that.  So someone screwed up initally with what they chose.  Maybe thats why the Nintendo balance board (https://vgcollect.com/item/93356) shows as no image even though I only have checked the "Cart/Disc". 

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:26 am »
No, the Nintendo Balance Board as an accessory is allowed an entry as a loose item because it was included with a game and never sold on its own. So it can have the loose item in the box art slot, the item is in accessory category and all the boxed instances are in the game categories.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 09:39:41 am by tripredacus »

dhaabi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 11:19:25 am »
No, the Nintendo Balance Board as an accessory is allowed an entry as a loose item because it was included with a game and never sold on its own. So it can have the loose item in the box art slot, the item is in accessory category and all the boxed instances are in the game categories.

I think what proskier means is that, even in circumstances such as with certain accessories that are allowed to have individual entry pages like 93356, with how the current collection viewing settings are set up, many users will not be able to see the art reflected in their collection. This is because for these items, there is no box at all, so users may only check off that they only own the Cart/Disk. The first image slot was originally set up and named when the database only tracked games, but neither its wording nor how its functions have been updated to accommodate the many more types of items that the database has allowed users to track.

The same can be said for digital game entries. Image art is supplied to the front image slot intended for cover art, despite there being no box as the collection marking options suggest. For my personal collection, every digital item I have logged is marked only as owning Cart/Disk since marking that I own the Case/Box does not make sense, so I currently do not see any image art for these items when viewed from my account.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 11:55:12 am »
We should not compare this to the current issue with how items appear from collection pages, since that is not currently working as we want.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 11:27:21 pm »
Maybe I am crazy, but would be a nice to have parity between the checkboxes and images

• Cart/Disk/Media Front Art
  • Cart/Disk/Media Back Art
  • Box Front Art
  • Box Back Art
  • Manual Front Art
  • Manual Back Art
  • Other Art

rename the checkbox from "Cart/Disk" to "Cart/Disk/Media"