Author Topic: Travelling abroad with your videogames  (Read 711 times)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Travelling abroad with your videogames
« on: July 21, 2022, 02:16:28 pm »
Who has experience with travelling abroad with their videogames? I'm about to go on a trip to the Philippines and I packed two large suitcases full of video games and movies. My landlord saw this and told me she's afraid they might deny me entry because I'm packing too much video games and that it may look suspicious. I am under the weight and dimensions limits for my airline company but would immigration care that I'm bringing so many stuff into the country? I couldn't find any info about that on the Philippines ambassy website.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

Re: Travelling abroad with your videogames
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 02:45:06 pm »
Isn't this what portable consoles are for? :P

I've had to pack all my games in boxes recently as my apartment is going under renovation this month and I have to leave the place for 4-5 days. I've kept my PS Classic to plug in a TV and 3DS games ready - the carts in a case that contains about 20.

If you're really insistant on keeping them in plastic cases, maybe you swap the discs you want to bring with other movie cases that have multiple disc slots, to condense it a bit. I know you can get CD wallets but I also know they can matter discs with light scratches.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 03:19:04 pm »
The point is, I'm actually moving out for a long-term stay. So I really want to bring the whole collection over, bit by bit. However I will only have tourist status in the beginning because I'll be working online, even though I'm still allowed to rent an apartment long-term.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:50:05 am »
Personally, past experience would tell me to ship the items to the destination instead of trying to take them onto the plane with me.

Here are import restrictions
https://www.trade.gov/knowledge-product/philippines-prohibited-restricted-imports
https://customs.gov.ph/prohibited-restricted-importations/

Some years ago I had the opportunity to relocate to Manilla but I didn't end up doing it.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 11:11:34 am »
I don't know how airports are where you are at currently.

but over here they are underemployed because everyone left with covid, they are far more picky on baggage atm. plus a % of flights are even cancelled right on the spot.

shipping stuff out to your destination might be the way to go ye, I wouldn't pack your suitcases full of games might be risky as in you can't take them with you but you have to take the flight.

import costs might sting, but it is what it is.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 06:40:39 pm »
The other problem I've been facing is that all shipping companies I've contacted say they don't have any service for my current location and destination. So I can't ship except in small packages.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 08:47:22 pm »
The other problem I've been facing is that all shipping companies I've contacted say they don't have any service for my current location and destination. So I can't ship except in small packages.

rent a storage unit, and put your stuff there for the time being.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

doafan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 11:49:07 am »
Dunno how things work on your country but here in Mexico you can't trust nobody so my best advice is to pack and carry as much games as you can manage to move by yourself, have read from your messages that it will be a long term so whatever you do don't trust something that important to others, call me crazy but sometimes I do refer to my consoles/games as my babies, yeah am crazy as fuck  ::)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 04:20:11 pm »
Who has experience with travelling abroad with their videogames? I'm about to go on a trip to the Philippines and I packed two large suitcases full of video games and movies. My landlord saw this and told me she's afraid they might deny me entry because I'm packing too much video games and that it may look suspicious. I am under the weight and dimensions limits for my airline company but would immigration care that I'm bringing so many stuff into the country? I couldn't find any info about that on the Philippines ambassy website.

I doubt you would be denied entry, but if customs decides you are bringing stuff in for resale you might have to pay import duties. If you are going for a few years and then headed back you could always just take the discs/carts with you and store the boxes at home. That would probably look less suspicious and less like someone importing to sell. Also might be a good time to focus on ps+ and games with gold games if you have been "collecting" those over the years or subscribe to one of the game passes. When I travel abroad, I kind of enjoy hunting down games that were not released at home. I went a little nuts on Vita collecting and there were quite a few Asian English releases for that console that were not released anywhere else.

dhaabi

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 12:59:34 pm »
Based on your site activity and collection gains, I'm assuming you made it to the Philippines. Hopefully you were able to ship everything you were wanting to take and are having a good time!