Author Topic: i think i'm a glutton for punishment  (Read 1249 times)

htimreimer

i think i'm a glutton for punishment
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:53 am »
do you think i'm a glutton for punishment i have been looking for religion and homeschooling games to add them to the site and here is one of throws games: http://vgcollect.com/item/25469

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: i think i'm a glutton for punishment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:46:37 am »
I'll be adding some "home-schooling" type of games whenever I get around to adding my DS games (like My Japanese Teacher & My Spanish Teacher)...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:13 am »
(like My Japanese Teacher & My Spanish Teacher)...
why do those even exist on a ds should of be a pc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:54:09 am by htimreimer »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:43 am »

Probably because the DS is portable (take it w/ you on a bus, train, plane, etc & practice the language); would be my guess.

I'm sure that there's already much more in-depth translators/language-builders/helpers on the pc, too.

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »
The DS has actually had a very lucrative business as a device for training/tutoring.

My nephew has down syndrome and he uses a DSiXL as a talker with this: http://www.taptotalk.com/. He can go into McDonald's and order for himself for the first time in his life (he has no speech and only signs). Before that, he had a proprietary laptop with a touch screen that was extremely expensive every time they wanted to change or add words to the vocabulary on it.

On the language front, in Japan they have TONS of learning software. Ronalopolis got me this dictionary years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Dictionary-Sonomama-Rakubiki-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000O2S9VQ. It's technically Japanese to English but I can use it to draw an unfamiliar Kanji (confusing Japanese character/letter) right on the lower screen and have the top screen give me an English translation. Perfect to keep beside me when I'm playing Super Famicom games or even when I'm at the computer...I don't have to alt+tab out of what I'm doing or open a new browser tab just to look up a word every time. And that game/software has been more comprehensive than most things I've found for the computer and much cheaper.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »

Portability, and it enables for some cool tools using the touch screen. I've used My Japanese Teacher and it's pretty solid, it helped quite a bit in addition to my japanese classes, and you used the touch screen to write hiragana and katakana (I didn't get up to any kanji, so I don't know if it had that too).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:47 pm »
I actually mentioned My Japanese Teacher and My Spanish Teacher in my earlier post.

It's actually "Coach" instead of "Teacher".

I just noticed on Amazon that there's also another one for Chinese (which I hadn't seen before).

I *DO* remember seeing some kind of 'Quit-Smoking' "game" for the DS for sale in a local store -but- I've never looked into it or played it (...although...I *REALLY* should)!