Author Topic: Which games have you become "priced out" of ever owning at this point?  (Read 2258 times)

aliensstudios

Re: Which games have you become "priced out" of ever owning at this point?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 01:42:37 pm »
Too many to count. I'm honestly extremely grateful that most of my collection was purchased pre-2020, some of the stuff I own would be impossible for me to purchase now.

I'm right there with you on being thankful I got into collecting when I did. I'd even go as far as to say I'm glad I had the bulk of what I wanted pre-2015 or so when this hobby exploded. Little did we know how bad it would really become in recent years, even back then. But I started out when few other people were collecting and those are the years I look back on most fondly and remember enjoying doing this the most. Outside a few instances here and there, collecting has been pretty shitty and unfun for the past 5 or 6 years, especially the last 2 or 3. That's why I've started to focus way more on playing games rather than buying them.
Yeah, prices were still somewhat outrageous in the late 2010s, but nowhere near the level they are now. I got 85% of what I have now pre-2019 I'd say. I bought my first home in 2020 and since then, the entertainment budget is much slimmer and I try to spend less than 150 dollars a month on games / movies (though I sometimes deviate). I have bought a ton of blu-rays though, dirt cheap at places like 2nd & Charles.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 05:01:27 pm »
Too many to count. I'm honestly extremely grateful that most of my collection was purchased pre-2020, some of the stuff I own would be impossible for me to purchase now.

I'm right there with you on being thankful I got into collecting when I did. I'd even go as far as to say I'm glad I had the bulk of what I wanted pre-2015 or so when this hobby exploded. Little did we know how bad it would really become in recent years, even back then. But I started out when few other people were collecting and those are the years I look back on most fondly and remember enjoying doing this the most. Outside a few instances here and there, collecting has been pretty shitty and unfun for the past 5 or 6 years, especially the last 2 or 3. That's why I've started to focus way more on playing games rather than buying them.
Yeah, prices were still somewhat outrageous in the late 2010s, but nowhere near the level they are now. I got 85% of what I have now pre-2019 I'd say. I bought my first home in 2020 and since then, the entertainment budget is much slimmer and I try to spend less than 150 dollars a month on games / movies (though I sometimes deviate). I have bought a ton of blu-rays though, dirt cheap at places like 2nd & Charles.

I finished my Xbox 360 collection before the pandemic hit and prices shot up (luckily) seeing some prices now is like...whoa. I'm still looking for several PS3 games, that, if I don't get....no biggie...but a few on my psudo- want list are beyond what I would pay right now.

Congrats on your 1st home. I bought a new home 16 months ago and the house payments will be eating up my finances for the next 3 years. So, I totally feel ya there!

telekill

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 05:06:43 pm »
I was priced out of many Game Gear games that I was hoping to collect such as Micro Machines. Each was getting well above $100 so I ended up getting the Game Gear's Everdrive. That wasn't cheap either but it was a one time buy to finish having access to a "complete collection".

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 08:23:54 am »
I think for me it's just Sculptor's Cut and Super Bowling 64.  I already paid a guy for a repro of Sculptor's Cut because I am going to consider it a variant rather than a necessary title for a full set.  No one's going to sway me otherwise, I'm not paying $1,000 for the game.  Super Bowling last I checked was around ~$700.  I might buy it one day, but that day isn't any time soon.

There are lots of games that are too expensive for me, but it has more to do with the fact that I'm that interested in the game in the first place, but at that point I'm not priced out so much as I don't care enough in the first place.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 08:36:55 am »
Jack Bros. for the Virtual Boy.  It's the only North American released game I'm missing for the set, but it was expensive back when I got the entirety of my VB collection for $200.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 01:15:29 pm »
I think luck and some effort is definitely a factor you can't say for certain it will never happen. unless where talking stuff like usa stadium events etc.

I've had many games which I thought I'd never score ever but I did get them for dirt cheap eventually.

some of the more pricy cib snes titles like demons crest or vampire kiss will be tough to get, but I think my odds while very low do still exist. I scored a cheap cib chrono trigger in 2022 so perhaps someday I'll score those titles aswell.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:30:53 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

soera

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 10:45:32 pm »
I find myself feeling lucky that I acquired a lot of the items listed here when they were reasonably priced .... however there is one item I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford it when it does actually appear available -

brothertuc

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 04:00:00 pm »
At the current present:

Rule of Rose (PS2)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GC)

However, I'll never say never.

megasilverx1

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 10:48:23 pm »
I would like to get more Virtual Boy, Sega CD, and 32X games but so many of them have gone way up in price. I happened to find a Nuon at a Goodwill a few years ago but their is no chance in hell I'm getting a game for that thing with how prices are. All of those young adults nostalgic for the popular and beloved Nuon I guess :P

kypherion

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2022, 03:08:59 am »
I hope one day to maybe own copies of these games but highly doubt it...

disclaimer: I'm aware Ebay is not the cream of the crop for buying (retro) games. I'm just using it as an easy reference.

LSD: Dream Emulator

As of this posting it's $600-$1100 on Ebay. Given that it will be a bit before I'm free to just make purchases like that, I'm sure with the game not getting any less rare and rising inflation I just can't justify spending that much on a singular game. As cool as it may be, I don't know if its 1g cool  :P

Pokemon Colosseum Pre-Order Bonus Disc

I've seen a few of these online at a few hundred on the low end. I'm a big fan of the 6th generation but just can't justify that much.

Persona 3 Collector's Edition

LSD DR wasn't bad enough so I wanted to include a game that could be considered financial harm. My lazy Ebay search yielded two results, a CIB opened copy at $500 and an sealed copy priced at $19,999.00 (with $20 shipping). Now, personally this isn't a game I feel I need a sealed copy of, but even $500 is a decent chunk to drop on a game that's only 16 years old. Even if it's an import P3 CE is still more than Path of Radiance.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2022, 01:02:37 pm »
Dragon Quest 4-9
Strider 2
Lunar 1, 2

A man can dream, can’t he?

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 10:26:42 am »
I just might be able to afford some of my priced out holy grails, now that I've realized some of the JRPG stuff I bought years ago is now worth a small fortune. The question is, which of said grails are worth trading them off for?

kashell

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 07:05:22 pm »
I guess I'm an outlier? I'm trying to think of games that reached the "priced out" point but I can't think of any.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2022, 09:47:46 pm »
Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of that I would really like is Revelations: Persona. I do have the remake on PSP but would like to own and play the first one. Granted playing it wouldn't be an issue, but I certainly would like to own it

conduit

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 10:00:52 am »
The one game on my radar I'll likely never be able to own is complete in box copy of Dracula X for the SNES. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough and find one not in crappy condition for <$1k. From what I've heard Dracula X is an inferior port of the PCE original anyway. I got Rondo for much less and in like new condition so Dracula X can wait.

Been fortunate enough to find respectable deals on Rule or Rose and Haunting Ground, naturally Kuon is on the horizon as well. I have better odds acquiring that versus Dracula X.