Author Topic: Spook'um Games  (Read 1018 times)

Spook'um Games
« on: October 11, 2022, 05:22:46 pm »
I've been struggling to figure out games to play for this month, like I'm not really into most horror games folks tend to play, I don't want to play stuff that is just jump scares, no real gameplay, lots of hiding, or just a walking simulator mostly.  I'm not into the games for the outright spooks, I'm more here for like the atmosphere or good gameplay.  The one exception I made was SOMA, which was a nice time, but nothing else similar has appealed to me. 

I feel like I've played most of the type of games I prefer, like I enjoy zombie stuff, so I've played the Dead Rising, Dead Island, Resident Evil stuff, I've done Evil Within, Dead Space, Alien: Isolation...I played FEAR back in the day, tried FEAR 3 and it sucked.  I am going to play the new Evil Dead game as I've had it since launch, but I haven't gotten around to the multiplayer yet lol I'm also going to be playing the upcoming Resident Evil 8 DLC when that releases.  I've played other games also, I've just been struggling to find the right games that appeal to me.  I did consider that Tortured Souls, it's basically a modern take on the classic Resident Evil style, fixed camera, but waiting to see a sale show up on that one as I'm not huge into classic Resident Evil gameplay.

I'm mostly looking for PC games with this and really this thread can just be a general horror game talk alongside recommendations.

telekill

Re: Spook'um Games
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 06:18:36 pm »
While not necessarily horror, I recommend A Plague Tale. The first subtitled, Innocence, was great and gave a really atmospheric and creepy vibe with a rat infested plague that takes all of France over.

The new game comes out in a week or so and I'll be playing that. I believe the first is on PC.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:54:00 pm »
While not necessarily horror, I recommend A Plague Tale. The first subtitled, Innocence, was great and gave a really atmospheric and creepy vibe with a rat infested plague that takes all of France over.

The new game comes out in a week or so and I'll be playing that. I believe the first is on PC.

Actually been meaning to play that, I think I got it free on something recently and had considered checking it out.  That could be an option for sure.  Now to remember what platform I got it on lol

*EDIT* Ah right, I think I got it on PS5 with PS+, so most likely gonna give that a go, see how I like it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:56:58 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 07:36:07 am »

Actually been meaning to play that, I think I got it free on something recently and had considered checking it out.  That could be an option for sure.  Now to remember what platform I got it on lol

*EDIT* Ah right, I think I got it on PS5 with PS+, so most likely gonna give that a go, see how I like it.

Brother of mine showed me the game a few months ago and was really liking it. It looked great also. Guess the upcoming sequel will be a recommendable one ;-)
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 10:07:59 am »
I vote for Max Payne. It has the nightmare sequences.

I think Clive Barker's Undying graphics take it out of being spooky although it was really good for the time.

telekill

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 07:52:35 am »

Awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 08:56:54 pm »
Spook em' ups?

Hounted House on the Wii. Certified spook em' up. It's no Luigi's Mansion, but give it a shot.

The MediEvil series, stone-cold spook em' ups.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 03:35:27 am »
Ghost Master

On the PC/Steam Or PS2 or Xbox Original
https://steamcommunity.com/app/

In the PC version in which I Played It's a game with a world overview like The Sims 2 on the PC where you take control of various ghouls and ghosts. The goal of the game is to complete scenarios by commanding your Paranormal soldiers to scare people, if you don't keep on scaring the people before the timer runs out you can run out of energy and cannot submit or order anymore of your ghouls or ghosts to scare people.

It's kind of like a Real Time Strategy game, mixed with a point and click adventure game combined with a puzzle solving game

here is a video playlist by @CrossKnights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M1gR56axFs&list=PLoT8_7RuxkER7yVx3h4yCIu_quPn55Yz6
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 04:40:42 pm »
The OG- Haunter House for the Atari 2600.

And an odd suggestion...Call of Duty cold war.

The Zombie game modes (I really only play the open world one) has special Halloween themes all month. Yeah, and all the zombies have pumpkins stuck on their heads. Its fun as all heck.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 06:32:48 pm »
I feel I have to give a shoutout to Fatal Frame. The last one Maiden of Black Water had me feeling uneasy. But then again it has an abandoned Doll Shrine and something about them has always made me feel uneasy. Like if any place in the world was 100% likely to be haunted my money would be on those types of places

But I guess my taste tend to be more Horror inspired then actual Horror
Lollipop Chainsaw
Shadow of the Damned
Almost anything Castlevania
Evil Dead Regeneration
Legacy of Kain series
Certain Metroid games

Also because of the remake coming out I've been remembering how good the original Dead Space is.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 08:28:33 pm »
I wish that Fatal Frame remaster coming out was sooner as I would've liked to play that as I heard that one is good.  I played the demo of Black Water back on the Wii U, but I didn't care a whole lot for it, but if it gets a sale coming up before Halloween, I might attempt it again as I did like Fatal Frame back in the PS2 days.

Lollipop Chainsaw is also getting a remaster, so I'm gonna just wait for that to come out to play it.  I also need to finish my Symphony of the Night playthrough, so I might do that one to.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 09:09:16 pm »
I highly recommend Alen Wake it has a great atmosphere and a compelling story it plays like chapters from a book being narrated as you play full of mystery and suspense. Not full of cheap jump scares imo. A excellent choice for Halloween.