Author Topic: Controller naming conventions  (Read 441 times)

empovyle

Controller naming conventions
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:42:17 pm »
I've been working on editing the DualShock 3 series of controllers for a couple days now. With the help of the mods I was able to figure out the current naming convention which is to name it as "Sony DualShock 3 Wireless Controller" followed by the individual item code, as well as another item code if there are variants of it. I don't really have a problem with this setup, but I have to ask, is there any way to fit in the color as described on the packaging?

When trying to submit a new item, if you were to attempt to submit the name as "Sony DualShock 3 Wireless Controller Metallic Blue" or a variation of that, the prompt won't warn you of the already-existing "Sony DualShock 3 Wireless Controller CECHZC2U MB". Also, most people probably don't keep their controller box, which is the only place the full item code is listed (under the barcode, on the bottom of the box). Someone new to the site will probably search the color first, which is only included in the Alt-Name field. I don't really know if it should be considered an alternate name if it is the actual name of the color as described on the box. So I suppose my proposed name convention would be something like "Sony DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (color) [Item code] [additional item code if needed]". What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:13:13 pm by empovyle »

dhaabi

Re: Controller naming conventions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 10:23:36 pm »
Also, most people probably don't keep their controller box, which is the only place the full item code is listed (under the barcode, on the bottom of the box). Someone new to the site will probably search the color first, which is only included in the Alt-Name field.

Neither the color name nor full model number are located on the actual controller itself. Either way, if a user owns an unboxed copy of the item, they would need to analyze entry images, since they wouldn't have that preexisting knowledge.

I don't really know if it should be considered an alternate name if it is the actual name of the color as described on the box. So I suppose my proposed name convention would be something like "Sony DualShock 3 Wireless Controller [Item code] (color) [additional item code if needed]".

I believe the naming convention had been used for a small number of entries (at least in Hardware categories) prior to my working on other Sony categories, but I have since heavily applied the naming convention when cleaning categories. In short, it allows for much tidier entry names so we do not have to rely on descriptors and TLDs. For example, the PlayStation Accessory category has already been cleaned, and the entries are all uniform and straightforward. When you account for the many variations for accessories, bypassing descriptors and TLDs for the general naming convention allows for a much easier way to name variants when they are submitted.

tripredacus

Re: Controller naming conventions
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 10:17:25 am »
The Sony item number in the name was only used for the console (PS2/PS3) section but somehow bled into the accessory category. I had determined this method when researching PS2 consoles. I posted about it here
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6782.msg132168.html#msg132168
and
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6782.msg133153.html#msg133153
But you can see from that last example, there was never a reason to use a (Ceramic White) descriptor on an item with "SCPH-77001 CW" in the name because all CW models are Ceramic White. 99% of the time, the model on the box matches (partially) the model on the console.

Since the model number was in the name and no color descriptor was needed, then color names from the packaging would be put into alt-name, which would then help when searching. It doesn't help when adding but people should be searching for things before adding them anyways. The check that add-item does is only based on names and does not actually generate matches a lot of times when they should be.

Naming rules for Accessories are in this post of the Style Guide
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.msg156.html#msg156
Which says Manufacturer Name then Item Name as on the package.
If there hadn't been precedent for putting the Sony number in the name in the consoles cartegory, then those would be done as descriptors instead of as a name now.

Sony Controller (SCPH-1080 UB / Black)
or
Sony Controller (Black / SCPH-1080 UB)

but the issue here is that there is no other SCPH-1080 UB, so the Black descriptor isn't needed. Thus

Sony Controller (SCPH-1080 UB)

However it is fine the way it is currently as

Sony Controller SCPH-1080 UB

Now does this mean that it wouldn't be cool if we did color tagging onto entries so that you could do an advanced search like:
show me all official controllers in x category that have color tag "red"

Whatever the deficiencies in the database UX is can be solved by potentially doing something other than how things are named. :)