Author Topic: Anticipated Games of 2023  (Read 1566 times)

Anticipated Games of 2023
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:21:53 pm »
2022 is almost over, which means it's basically over already, and who cares about the old, lets only care about the new!

But really, what are folks looking forward to next year?  For me...

Legends of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - BOTW is one of my favorite Zelda games of all time, I'm not 100% sure if it's THE top, but it's pretty close.  Not that it doesn't have issues, but I'm hoping that's solved with this sequel.  Less shrines, bigger and more dungeons with proper boss fights, better music, and while I don't hate the weapon degrading feature, I think it would be better to not have that and maybe work out something new, like add blacksmithing that lets you create a few custom weapons that you can carry on you and switch between and upgrade.  There's a lot they can do to make this game pretty crazy.

Atomic Heart - It's like you took Bioshock, the future-retro scifi feel of Wolfenstein, replaced Nazi's with the Soviet Union, and then you had in Mick Gordon for the music and I'm into it.  I'm not like 100% crazy about it yet, but what I've seen looks really cool.

Street Fighter 6 - I've never really devoted a lot of time to fighting games, I've played them very casually since I was a kid, but never really got good at any.  I tried to remedy that with SFV, but that game was so bad, I just never tried.  SF6 though, it looks like it'll have a lot of cool singleplayer content which is a big plus for me and it's also just looking like a crazy awesome fighter, so I'm hoping to give it a real go this time.

Final Fantasy 16 - I like that the series is going back to its much more "traditional fantasy" setting, which hasn't been seen in the main line games since like the early days of the series.  Not that I played those ones, I started with FF7, but  this seems like a big change of pace from what they've been doing for like 20 years at least.  Gameplay looks really cool and I'm glad we are sticking with the action rpg stuff.

Resident Evil 4 Remake - The original game was one of my favorite RE games until everything from RE7 and up came out, and I'm not 100% sure on placement now, but it was still an awesome game for the time.  I'm hoping this game keeps a lot of what I liked from that game, while adding in new stuff to spice it up.  I know it's not gonna be the same game and I'm cool with that, the cheesy story and dialogue is funny, but not necessary to me, though I can still see a lot of elements sticking around with some ramped up horror to it.

Honorable Mentions

Wild Hearts - It looks like someone trying to make an alternative to Monster Hunter and that's great.  Monster Hunter Rise didn't really win me over entirely and until Monster Hunter World 2 happens, this could be a nice stop gap, or just a good game on its own.

Dead Island 2 - I'm still a sucker for zombie games and while this game has had such a journey to get here, it seems to be happening.  With Dying Light being a more serious experience, this could be a nice alternative to that series, filling the gap left by Dead Rising fading off as a series. 

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Again another I'm looking forward to that will likely be a good game, but not amped for it either.  The first game was cool, but it had some jank to it and dragged abit here and there, but was a very solid game.  Hopefully this really expands things.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League - This one is real low for me, it has potential to be awesome, but I'm not keen on the gameplay idea of it at all.  I'd much rather have just had something like another Arkham game with some different Bat Family (Gotham Knights, but actually good), but we'll see.

Armored Core 6 - I love mechs and I liked AC2 back in the PS2 days, but I'm wondering what a post Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring FromSoftware does with the series as the game almost has a Souls vibe to it lol

STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl - This would go in my list proper, but there's no telling if this game happens or not.  The devs are Ukranian, so the issues with the game are quite clear.  It was already delayed into 2023 because of it and it's likely to get delayed again, but we'll see as I'd love to see the studio revive the series.  I want to love this, though I am worried they might try to modernize the series a little too much and not like add more depth and details and a deeper world to explore from the previous games, but who knows, we'll see.

Death Stranding 2 - This one is unlikely to come out next year, it's probably 2024 or 2025, but I'm stupid excited for this game.  Death Stranding turned out to be a surprise favorite of mine, like almost top 10 of all time possibility and I could not truly explain why.  The story is weird as hell, I can not explain most of it, I've played it through twice now, I will play it more, but the gameplay is just oddly satisfying to me, the world is interesting, Kojima's weird loves and quirks are plastered all over so it's cool getting this game where you see this one director's vision just bursting out of it in ways a lot of games don't.  It's also a wildly polarizing game.  If someone said they hate it, I fully understand and would never fault anyone for it, because that gameplay and the wacky as hell story is not for everyone, but I fell in love with it.  It's questionable release is mostly why I'm putting it at the bottom and I wanted an excuse to just gush about Death Stranding for no real reason lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Anticipated Games of 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 10:44:20 pm »
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Resident Evil 4 Remake are must-haves. Both are already pre-ordered and paid for.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and Warhammer: Space Marine 2 both look cool, too, and will likely be future purchases.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 10:51:44 pm »
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Resident Evil 4 Remake are must-haves. Both are already pre-ordered and paid for.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and Warhammer: Space Marine 2 both look cool, too, and will likely be future purchases.

I forgot about Space Marine 2, I'm definitely interested in checking that out, I remember finding the first one to be fun and this one looked pretty cool.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 01:50:56 am »
XDefiant and Hogwarts Legacy.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 04:21:44 am »
There is a Tintin game slated for 2023, excited for that one!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 02:38:47 pm »

I forgot about Space Marine 2, I'm definitely interested in checking that out, I remember finding the first one to be fun and this one looked pretty cool.

Yeah, the first was a bloody good time. I remember I got stuck and never finished it, though. It's about time for a revisit.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 03:11:24 pm »
Zelda I guess.

I'd love it if Mass Effect 5 or Tomb Raider nextgen or Instinction released next year... but they won't.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 04:43:16 pm »
Tears of the Kingdom is about the only Day 1 purchase I have on the horizon.  Resi 4 remake is probably my #2, but I can wait.

soera

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 05:12:57 pm »
There is actually a decent amount of stuff coming out next year I'm wanting/anticipating!

Trails to Azure and Trails into Reverie. All Legend of Heroes games are a must play.
Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters. Been looking forward to another installation of the CyberDimension series. Bought!
GranBlue Fantasy: ReLink. Have been holding out on this game for like 5 years now. 2023 is supposed to be the one!
Diablo IV. My highest playtime game on my PS3 (and probably my PS4) was D3 and I'm expecting D IV to be killer as well.
Sword and Fairy Together. Nice entry to the series here in the states.
Chained Echoes. Kickstarter that I participated in. Physical edition looks great. Game has that 16 bit era feel.
Octopath Traveller II. First game was Switch only but the second one is getting more console options. Hoping if it's well received that it will convince them to put the first game on PlayStation also.
Eiyuden Chronicle. Same thing as Chained Echoes.
Tales of Symphonia remaster
Suikoden 1&2 remaster

Updating this. Since this, I have found a new game I want to add to the list and mark off the one I bought!
Stellar Blade

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:06:48 pm by soera »

alligo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 06:42:40 pm »
There are a lot of games that interest me, I had already made a list on another topic that I will continue to fill.

FFXVI
Stalker 2
New TDU
Bushiden
Last Moon
Yakuza Ishin
Atomic Heart
Dead Island 2
Space Marine 2
Armored Core 6 (I never played to the old titles, I would like to try it with this one)
Kirby's DreamLand Deluxe
FF Theatrhym Final Bar Line

I will add Wo Long even if it's not my style of game.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 05:00:53 pm »
digimonworld next order asside from that nothing is annoucned that i cna think of I realy care about  most of thsoe games require lots of patcxhes anyway so I wont get those

telly

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 09:36:12 pm »
100% the Mega Man Battle Network Collection for me!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 10:51:45 pm »

That's probably the only one of the Mega Man collections I'm probably not gonna grab as I'm not much for a Mega Man RPG.  The second they give me a Mega Man Legends collection though? I'm all in.

I'm actually thinking of adding the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster set to my interests for next year, as I'm kinda liking the idea of attempting a run of the original series pre-FF6, but Square has handled the whole thing really poorly.  They made the physical edition impossible to get and even if it was available, it's enormously expensive.  Really kills the mood for me with it, as I'm not against buying it digitally, but I like buying these collections physical for my Switch.  Also it's a really pricey bundle even digital at 75 bucks.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 12:36:57 pm »

That's probably the only one of the Mega Man collections I'm probably not gonna grab as I'm not much for a Mega Man RPG.  The second they give me a Mega Man Legends collection though? I'm all in.

I'm actually thinking of adding the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster set to my interests for next year, as I'm kinda liking the idea of attempting a run of the original series pre-FF6, but Square has handled the whole thing really poorly.  They made the physical edition impossible to get and even if it was available, it's enormously expensive.  Really kills the mood for me with it, as I'm not against buying it digitally, but I like buying these collections physical for my Switch.  Also it's a really pricey bundle even digital at 75 bucks.

Me too on the Mega Man Legends Collection, BUT they really need to give us that Mega Man Legends 3 they announced and took away from us, first.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 10:34:07 pm »
Suikoden 1&2 remasterd
Disgaea 7
Dead space remake
Forza Motorsport

This is what im looking forward to most