Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2023!!!  (Read 32078 times)

tripredacus

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2023!!!
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2023, 10:21:10 am »
55. Torchlight II
The first ARPG outside of the Diablo franchise that I've played I think. It probably has more depth that I could see from a single playthrough on Normal. The fact that there are guns in it is interesting. I played the gun character that is supposed to use 2 pistols or a shotgun, but I ended up with a bow and a shotgun because early on the pistols were kind of bad.

There certainly is a difficulty curve and it is unlike Diablo in some ways concerning how damage is dealt. In Diablo II (which this game is more like), if you scaled up on the armor, there were rarely any instances where an enemy would do significant physical damage to you. The only monster in D2 that could one shot you with physical were the fetish monster class and usually only starting in Act 3. The skeleton ones could but in Act 1 their health is low enough that you would kill them first. In Torchlight II physical damage is more of a common thing to have to deal with. If you aren't scaling up your base armor, then you can get easily killed by common enemies in "Acts" 3 and 4. Elemental damage is typically avoidable if you are paying attention as it only comes as special or spell attacks from enemies. All enemies appear to do physical attacks by default.

There are some usability issues present. Even in offline games, the game can lag. It doesn't seem to be related to the amount of enemies on the screen. It makes it seem like you are playing online even if you are not. There are some inputs that are eaten in that your attempt to perform an action is cancelled. Such as trying to do weapon switch while the animation of the first weapon is still playing, this gets cancelled. Also there are times where you will use attack 1 instead of attack 2.

Then the other one which is you can get stuck on a certain enemy. The freedom of movement is not like D2 which has the same idea. Click on the enemy to attack it, click on the ground to move. But in T2 the hitbox for the enemy highlight is larger than what is drawn, so you can have the cursor over the ground and click but the monster is still highlighted. This means that instead of moving your character, you are attacking an enemy. Makes some unavoidable deaths if this happens when you are trying to retreat or get mobbed. Attempting any sort of run on Hardcore is a no-go for me while this issue exists.

I didn't really care for the story and in fact the cutscenes and the in-game quest/dialog didn't seem to match up. The beginning it shows the enemy to be an evil wizard or something, and the next time you get a cutscene you are following him like you do the Wanderer in D2. But then the end boss is a dragon. I must have skipped something or didn't read something, idk. The music was basically Matt Uelman ripoff music, which was fine to listen to but made you remember Diablo games.

« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2023, 03:22:03 pm »
I hate how far off I got from keeping up with my logs.  I pretty much only come to VGC at this point to update this stuff.  I might look at making another place to post this stuff publicly and making it searchable so I can find reviews easier than digging year by year.

Another place within the forums, you mean? If you're ever wanting to find a specific review for a game, the forum search tool is quite capable. I searched for "100 Hidden Birds 2" at random as a game you finished earlier this year and found its attached post without issue. In fact, it's the only post that shows up in search results when searching that specific term while specifying you as the poster.
No, I was thinking more like designing my own website

« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2023, 07:08:20 pm »
51. Halo: Combat Evolved (XBOX)

I was never a huge Halo fan back in the early 2000s, but it's still a series I played quite a bit and have a lot of wonderful memories playing with friends and family. Funny enough, I actually played Halo 2 way more than the first game, but the first game still has a special place in my heart as it reminds me heavily of the early and mid-2000s when it was the biggest gaming franchise in the world. I hadn't played through the campaign of the first Halo in over a decade so I figured it was time to throw it in my XBOX and give it another go.

While I really like Halo CE, it's still a game that has some fairly annoying issues, specifically with the stage design in certain parts of the game which can be very frustrating to get through. I'm also not a fan of Halo making you backtrack through large portions of the game, and return to places you'd previously played through at some other point. It would be one thing if these areas looked dramatically different between visits, but they mostly look the same with maybe there being different lighting, weather effects, or time of day being the only thing that makes them slightly more distinct. Other than that, my only other complaint with the gameplay is enemies feeling like bullet sponges, even with weapons that they're weaker to. With those gripes out of the way, I have to commend the AI's intelligence which almost made you feel like you were up a competent real person and not just the CPU. Also, the games fairly generous amount of weapons are all fun to play around with. Luckily, weapons are mostly plentiful, and health kits are present at just the right times when you need them (not to frequent, but also not making you get through huge portions of the game with no health). Visually, the game looks pretty good other than a few semi bland, albeit creative looking environments, as well as the aforementioned reuse of a lot of areas. The audio is also pretty good, with entertaining and competent voice acting, as well as a very memorable OST. The final thing I wanted to mentioned was the story, which is pretty damn good and original. There are a few parts where the writing made me raise an eyebrow,  but overall it's still a refreshing story which I still find entertaining as hell. I may not be a Halo diehard, or someone who thinks this game is a masterpiece, but I can say with no hesitation that it's a must play and a game that encapsulates early 2000s gaming better than 99% of all other games made during that time period. (11/25/23) [36/50]

kashell

« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2023, 03:01:03 pm »
57. Super Mario RPG Remake

Playing through this remake was a blast. It felt like I was looking at an old photo album combined with making new memories. This is a remake done correctly. The new features make this the definitive version. I doubt I'll partake in any post-game content, but knowing that it's there is another nice perk. I finished the game with all the usual secrets: Jinx is defeated, all hidden chests discovered, Culex is gone, composed all of the musical stuff at Tadpole Pond, and the list goes on. Not much else to say; it was a memorable game then, and it's just as memorable now with its glow up.

dhaabi

« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2023, 04:36:41 pm »

It felt like I was looking at an old photo album combined with making new memories. This is a remake done correctly.

In your opinion, is the Super Mario RPG remake an example of a game that anyone having not experienced the original would be fine to play with first? Or should they instead seek out the original SNES release to better appreciate the remake? For many years, I've been mildly interested in the game but have never owned (and perhaps never will) own a copy, much less the hardware to play it.

« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2023, 05:10:43 pm »

It felt like I was looking at an old photo album combined with making new memories. This is a remake done correctly.

In your opinion, is the Super Mario RPG remake an example of a game that anyone having not experienced the original would be fine to play with first? Or should they instead seek out the original SNES release to better appreciate the remake? For many years, I've been mildly interested in the game but have never owned (and perhaps never will) own a copy, much less the hardware to play it.

I've only just started into the remake, but everything I've seen and heard on it, it's basically just the original game, with a few minor additions to the UI and gameplay along with the visual overhaul that stays pretty true to the classic designs.  I don't think there would be any specific benefit of playing the original other than to just enjoy the classic visuals.

kashell

« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2023, 06:14:15 pm »

It's a perfect example of this. The remake does everything the original does, but with added content that's all excellent.

« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2023, 08:44:40 pm »
Well, I did it! With a little over a month to spare, I hit 52 games beat! I always feel a sense of fulfillment when I hit that magical number of games beat, knowing that I'm at least 52 games closer to playing and beating every game I own, plus many others. I don't know how December is going to go, but at the very least there is one more game I definitely plan on playing and beating, but it wouldn't surprise me if I round out this year at around 55+ games. But anyhow, let's get to my mini review of #52.

52. Sexy Parodius (Saturn)

I haven't played a Parodius game in several years, and I had a hard time remembering which ones I had played. To my delight, Sexy Parodius is not a game I've every played and at least from memory, it's the most fun game in the series I've played, which also includes games from its parent series, Gradius. Sexy Parodius is a slightly more risque cute em' up (hence the word sexy in the title), but is still fairly lighthearted and goofy like the other games in the series. Essentially you have you sandard cute em' up type enemies, plus some half naked anime wiafus to blast through, but nothing more than a PG-13 movie. The gameplay is Sexy Parodius is pretty good overall, although it is nothing groundbreaking from a mechanics or balancing point of view, but in the end its mostly serviceable. I've never been a fan of the Gradius style power up system and its tendency to screw you over, however it wasn't as bad as some other Konami schmup titles I've played that use this style. Of note, there are also fun level objectives that you can either pass or fail, and depending on the outcome you can play very different levels than the ones you would have gone onto otherwise. But I found the objectives a fun, unique addition to this game, that I wouldn't mind seeing in other shmups. Visually the game is very entertaining and fun. This game screams weird Japanese pop culture, and delivers it in a very brightly colored, vibrant setting. Audio is also surprisingly good with some catchy toons and entertaining voice acting; I had no idea what the characters were saying, but the delivery still made me laugh, especially when combined with the stage and level transition visuals. I'm always very pleased when I play a game I've never tried before that ends up being way better than I thought it would be and Sexy Parodius is certainly a prime example. (11/26/23) [34/50]

« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2023, 11:06:52 pm »
53. Nights into Dreams (Saturn)

It seems like i'm replaying nights at least every other year. This is hands down one of the most special, important games ever made for me. It is one of a handful of games that instantly transports me back to being a 9-year old kid again without a care or problem in the world. I'm not under any illusion that Nights doesn't have some issues (particularly its gameplay), but overall, the game is one I thoroughly enjoy playing again and again for how it makes me feel. I also beat Christmas Nights while I was at it, which is especially nice during this time of year, for obvious reasons. Nights into Dreams will always occupy a very, very special place in my heart for the rest of my life. (11/26/23) [41/50]

kashell

« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2023, 08:12:25 am »
I love it when games do that. That's how it felt when I went through the remaster of Mario RPG.

dhaabi

« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2023, 10:24:41 am »

It's a perfect example of this. The remake does everything the original does, but with added content that's all excellent.

I've only just started into the remake, but everything I've seen and heard on it, it's basically just the original game, with a few minor additions to the UI and gameplay along with the visual overhaul that stays pretty true to the classic designs.  I don't think there would be any specific benefit of playing the original other than to just enjoy the classic visuals.

That's good news to hear. At some point, I'm sure I'll pick it up then. I generally prefer to play a game's original release, but I've settled for re-releases at times. One instance was the The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake also for Switch, which I don't regret playing first at all.

telly

« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2023, 02:21:01 pm »
Game 20 - Operation C (Switch) - 3 Hours

Beat this game without having to use any continues. For an early Game Boy game, Operation C has a lot of really great things going for it. For one, it plays beautifully, something that a lot of portable versions can't say. It plays like a perfect little mash-up of Contra and Super C including the controls and music. There aren't as many weapons, but the new homing weapon was my favorite and I preferred it over the spread gun. It isn't a very long game, at only 5 stages, but what is there was very enjoyable.

As a side note, I'm not sure how many more games I will be finishing on the Contra Anniversary Collection. I've tried the arcade originals of the first two Contra games and didn't really like playing them. I was also very disappointed to find that Contra Hard Corps doesn't allow for any button remapping. So other than Contra III I'm not sure if this collection will have much more to offer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 02:24:44 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dhaabi

« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2023, 02:38:08 pm »
34. Dodgeball Academia || PlayStation 4 || 10.30.23

Looking to play something more casual, my attention came to Dodgeball Academia as one of PlayStation Plus Extra's catalog options. It's been a game I've known for a while by cover art alone, although I didn't know anything specific about it until I began my playthrough.

Before delving into the game's play mechanics, I'll briefly mention how Dodgeball Academia is a narrative-driven game. There is a good amount of lightheartedness written into dialogue and character personalities, but it wasn't enough to successfully gain any laughs or even much of a humored response from me. It was pretty clear shortly after I began playing that perhaps the story is directed towards a younger demographic. Nevertheless, the narrative is simple and inoffensive, although there may be some who'd want to skip the dialogue altogether, which is an option. Dialogue on its own moves along at a somewhat slow speed, which I only mention as an issue since voice acting isn't featured.

As the title name suggests, Dodgeball Academia is a action-RPG revolved around the sports game dodgeball. With both the player's and opponent's team each having health, the end goal is for one side to remain conscious while exchanging throws to attack another. While its core gameplay is simple in execution, its RPG mechanics allow for a straightforward game to become much more energetic and entertaining. Early on, opponents will demonstrate varying skills and battle techniques, such as lobbing the ball high, throwing the ball at a slow but high-powered velocity, or conjuring an onslaught of balls to target one specific opponent. In time, the player will also be able to perform some of these attacks, which require a special meter needing to be filled. Alongside special attacks, a standard charged attack, ball catch, and counter are also battle actions. At times, the player can even execute some atypical moves such as spinning throws, but the game doesn't provide a good job at explaining how those mechanics operate.

In addition to attack commands, many other aspects are present which provide a unique take on this classic game. For starters, the protagonist player-character will eventually accrue a party of six, with a maximum of three being allowed on the field. While most battles are 3vX, some are 1v1. With that said, there are times when party members will stand waiting along the sidelines to be sent to the playing field even in 1v1 matches, so there is a lot of variety in battles. Also, it is worth mentioning how, in many fights, even when a team player has been knocked out, they are not fully incapacitated. Instead, they may appear on the outer perimeter of the playing field behind their opponents, able to attack them from behind. Perhaps that is a standard dodgeball rule, but it felt new to me. Apart from the players, even the balls can change up battles, as some having elemental properties or lingering effects.

At a welcoming pace, matches gradually increase in difficulty. However, I found myself needing to heal after nearly every match, so perhaps I'm just not that good of a player. An infirmary is free to visit for a full-heal, in addition to healing items which are acquired liberally, although I rarely ever used them. Still, if players fail a match, the option to retry is always available. That said, maintaining health becomes much less of an issue toward the late-game once a specific piece of equipment is found that replenishes 75% health after each match. Early on, though, players should be expected to constantly be at full health, as, if you are tasked with being somewhere, there is almost always a scripted battle, no matter how minor the event is.

Toward the end of my playthrough, I felt quite overleveled aside from a few major matches where I seemed only at a slight advantage. As players progress further to end-game, most opponents come across existing as fodder only. But, even if one were to choose to ignore challenger encounters, the required path makes it almost guaranteed each time that you'll battle them anyway. Having mentioned a maximum party total of six by the game's end, I'll also mention here that there never felt like a reason to cycle through all party members. In fact, I almost exclusively played as the game's protagonist player-character. For a short while after each new member joins the team, I'd try to utilize them, but there never seemed like a good reason to do so since the protagonist is simply stronger. In some of the final fights, I'd simply use the protagonist's special ability to defeat everyone on the opponent's team in one swell swoop. Toward the end of my playthrough, I realized that there are Damage Taken and Damage Received settings available at a range from 0-400%, but I maintained the standard 100% even after learning about this option.

Being an action-RPG, it shouldn't come as a surprise that players explore a small sandbox world surrounding the game's central location. Another aspect I'll mention is that, in addition to the game's story objectives, side objectives are also available to encourage exploration. A dodge roll technique is offered as a fast means of traveling, but it isn't an effective way at all due to the likely probability that players will clash with environmental set pieces. In the game's latter half, there is a small section requiring some platforming while also utilizing this dodge roll mechanic, but it is brief and was fine to accomplish.

In short, Dodgeball Academia offered a decent experience while playing, but the game loop became a little too tedious. I think that there are a lot of engaging aspects introduced to dodgeball's straightforward rules, but I never felt compelled to utilize them all because I wasn't forced to experiment to reach the game's end.

« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2023, 11:34:40 pm »
54. The Rumble Fish 2 (PS4)

I had never heard of this series until Limited Run Games announced a physical release of it. It looked interesting enough, and as a 2D fighting game from the 2000s, I was definitely eager to try it out. Unfortunately the game ended up being a lot less enjoyable than I was hoping. More than anything, Rumble Fish 2 is about a generic a fighting game as they come. There is very little in any way to make this game standout from the pack of other tournament fighters from this era. The visuals are a strange mix of cell shaded looking 2D character models and 3D backgrounds. This wouldn't be so bad if the stages had more going on, but most of them are pretty uninspired and forgettable for the most part. The audio is pretty good, but again, nothing special. Finally the gameplay, while serviceable and using a dynamic offense/defense system. I found the overall gameplay to be fairly bland and uninteresting. There was also a stiffness to it all that put me off slightly. I can understand why this game and series has mostly been forgotten unlike some of its contemporaries like Guilty Gear. Still, it might be worth a playthrough if you fancy yourself a fighting game fan. (11/27/23) [29/50]

« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2023, 12:18:13 am »
32 - Spider-Man 2 (PS5 2023) - BEAT - Another really solid game.  I do think I'm sorta done with the Spider-Man games unless they do something really crazy and different for the next game.  It's not like any of them have been bad, gameplay and story is all fantastic, but three games, all set in the same city, even if they add a few more gimmicks or expand the New York setting abit more, I've had my fill.  I don't know, maybe in a couple years when it comes out I'll care, as I see the villain's that will be showing up and they'll be cool, but it's gotta do something very different.  Honestly, it has me excited for Wolverine, because I want to see them craft a different experience that has this level of gameplay and story quality to it. 

I also hope they give Miles a new suit for the next game, because they gave him a terrible one at the ending, out of nowhere lol Sure, you can change the suit after the final mission, but oof, it's awful, the brand deal thing with the shoes is super dumb.