Author Topic: Buying games for a system you don't own  (Read 1458 times)

dhaabi

Re: Buying games for a system you don't own
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 10:29:48 am »
So I just thought it'd be fun to hear or see if I was not the only one.

I'm glad that the topic has gotten a lot of activity, but it is always fine to bump a (relatively) recent thread, especially when it's one you created.  ;)

Even games which you would expect to be available in large quantity seem to remain high in price. The one time this has backfired is when I paid £50+ for the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC cart, then months later around the release of XC3 it seemed to be available again at £20-30! That's the only case I have seen of a Switch games stock resruface and drop like that though.

This is due to the efforts of Video Games Plus based in Canada. Apparently, they've been reprinting games for a number of years, but I've only found out about the company in the last few months. Another high value Switch game reprinted from them is Attack on Titan 2: The Final Battle. Later today, reprint orders for Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy go live as well. Atelier Ryza 2 has been selling on eBay US for around $70-$80 USD but will retail again for around $52 USD.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:46:00 am by dhaabi »

brothertuc

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 10:48:20 am »
I actually DO collect games for systems I don't own, but only if I'm able to play them on different generations of consoles. E.g. Playstation-Games ... I do not own a PSone, but as long as I can play them on my PS2, there's still reason for me to collect them. Same w. GameCube-Games ... don't own a Cube, but a Wii ... so ... all in all YES .D

That's a good point.  :)

brothertuc

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:55 am »
So I just thought it'd be fun to hear or see if I was not the only one.

I'm glad that the topic has gotten a lot of activity, but it is always fine to bump a (relatively) recent thread, especially when it's one you created.  ;)

Even games which you would expect to be available in large quantity seem to remain high in price. The one time this has backfired is when I paid £50+ for the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC cart, then months later around the release of XC3 it seemed to be available again at £20-30! That's the only case I have seen of a Switch games stock resruface and drop like that though.

This is due to the efforts of Video Games Plus based in Canada. Apparently, they've been reprinting games for a number of years, but I've only found out about the company in the last few months. Another high value Switch game reprinted from them is Attack on Titan 2: The Final Battle. Later today, reprint orders for Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy go live as well. Atelier Ryza 2 has been selling on eBay US for around $70-$80 USD but will retail again for around $52 USD.

Completely forgot about that thread... What a brain-fart.  :D
You can delete this thread if you want :)

telly

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 10:56:05 am »
I mentioned Shenmue on the Dreamcast in that old thread but there were a lot of others that I didn't mention. I used to have a ton of original Xbox stuff. 4 controllers that I picked up from thrift stores and around 10 games or so. Was meaning to get the system but never did and ended up selling it all. Also had an old Genesis controller that I found at a thrift store, sold as well.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 11:43:14 am »
If you find a great deal on it, why not I'd say. deals don't wait for you if they pop up.

This is only if your planning on getting said system in the future, which in that case, I don't see how it can hurt. it's only a waste if you have no interest in it at all. and even than in the worst case you sell at a profit.

I've gotten games which In some cases I got the console for years later. I would be kicking myself for quite some games if I waited to get a console.

if It's full price, than yes you probably shouldn't get it. No reason to since you can just buy it once you get the system. Only consider buying games for a system you don't own if it's a great deal in which your actually missing out if you don't buy it at that time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:54:39 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 10:03:16 pm »
I do/have. But only if it's either a system I plan to get or a game I *really* want for some special reason or another. I have bought a few PSP games in recent years despite not having a PSP anymore.

kashell

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 10:52:08 am »
I used to do that. I haven't done it in recent memory.

brownd

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 12:44:47 pm »
Found Enter The Matrix at a local convention the other day, still sealed.
Don't currently have a classic Xbox (and it's not compatible with 360) but I do intend to get one eventually, so I grabbed it.
Life is nothing but an illusion caused by not partying hard enough ~ Andrew W.K.

ferraroso

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 06:31:12 am »
I bought a few games for the PS3 and PS5 a few days before actually owning the consoles (in both cases, I had them ordered though), but I own a couple of games for consoles I don't have any plans (or hopes) of acquiring in the near future. They are:
- Virtual Cameraman 2 for the Pioneer LaserActive
- Virtua Racing Deluxe for the Sega Super 32X

Even if I don't plan on enjoying the thing, I'd happily buy any interesting or rare game-related items if I can find them for a good price (in this case, both cost me less than the equivalent to US$5,00 each).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:02:25 pm by ferraroso »

topspot123

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 05:06:40 pm »
Yep, I've done this many times. Always in anticipation of getting the system soon or eventually. I'm pretty sure I got Guitar Hero 2 and the first Rock Band kit before I'd gotten the Xbox 360 to play them on.

Come to think of it, I have a few games for a few systems I've never gotten (yet). Atari 5200, 7800, Intellivision, Philips CDi, and like one 3DO game, I think. Just a few games, nothing massive.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 03:19:38 pm »
I've started buying sealed PS4 lots. Now really is the time to get in, some of the big, iconic titles for the system are going dirt cheap.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2023, 04:01:13 pm »
I have done it in the past. I still will if I come across something.
I have a few PSP games. I’m not even sure what a PSP looks like. 

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2023, 04:15:04 pm »

It's just a Vita with some meat on its bones.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2023, 10:17:33 pm »
I got the Mega Man X trilogy for the SNES, as well as a few PS4 games before finally getting their respective consoles; I also have an Xbox and Xbox One game, but I don't have either of those consoles in my collection.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most collectors have often done this—I'd bet theflea is guilty of it.

I currently have some PS5 games, but I do intend to get the console down the line...I mean, I got the PS4 during a Black Friday sale at Walmart almost 5 years ago, so...

I also have 7 PSP games, all sealed that I got many, many years ago back when I intended on getting the handheld. I never did, and honestly don't care for it. I've been meaning to sell them, but never do...

As a whole, getting games for consoles I don't own isn't something I normally do.

If you find a great deal on it, why not I'd say. deals don't wait for you if they pop up. [...]

That's quite the truth.

It's just a Vita with some meat on its bones.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!