Author Topic: question about database pictures  (Read 487 times)

armani

question about database pictures
« on: March 23, 2023, 02:46:38 pm »
i have quite a few titles that are not and not on the database, with some of them there are no pictures online.

ex: i have a US boxed copy of Worms on PC and i also have a copy of Space Racer on DOS and Cosmic Soldier: Psychic War on DOS, both sealed boxed, but absolutely no scans of the boxes are found anywhere on the internet. this goes for quite a few games i own too and not just these three.

i am not sure whether or not i absolutely need a scanner to add pictures to the database, because i do not own a scanner at all. i would love to upload pictures of these online, and i have a google pixel 7 with a pretty nice camera.

please let me know your thoughts

ferraroso

Re: question about database pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:44:34 pm »
If you are able to properly scale your pictures and upload them in an acceptable quality, I don't think there's any problem in uploading photos to the database (even though scans are usually preferable).
I'm no admin though... Haha

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:44:20 am »
Providing images without owning a scanner is certainly possible. For about half of the images I submit, I rely on photos I've gathered online.

If you are to submit images this way, ensure the photos are taken from a front-facing view and not at an angle. Most importantly, though, is to crop the image so that only the box art is shown without any visible background.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 09:41:29 am »
First, see General Image Rules section here:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg177804.html#msg177804

Also, the image you submit should not be the huge image that your phone can make. As you can see, the site makes images very small, so the smaller the image is before choosing to upload it, the better. The maximum size I usually submit is 800px in width, but 500px is better. The site will shrink an uploaded image to 200px width with constrained proportions. If you try to upload a multiple thousands px width image, it may never actually show up on the entry or make duplicate and/or blank entries because it takes too long to transform the uploaded image.

armani

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 04:31:30 pm »
First, see General Image Rules section here:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg177804.html#msg177804

Also, the image you submit should not be the huge image that your phone can make. As you can see, the site makes images very small, so the smaller the image is before choosing to upload it, the better. The maximum size I usually submit is 800px in width, but 500px is better. The site will shrink an uploaded image to 200px width with constrained proportions. If you try to upload a multiple thousands px width image, it may never actually show up on the entry or make duplicate and/or blank entries because it takes too long to transform the uploaded image.
Providing images without owning a scanner is certainly possible. For about half of the images I submit, I rely on photos I've gathered online.

If you are to submit images this way, ensure the photos are taken from a front-facing view and not at an angle. Most importantly, though, is to crop the image so that only the box art is shown without any visible background.

sounds good, found a couple of the others online but i just uploaded a picture of my own for one of the others! i think it looks pretty decent

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 05:31:57 pm »
The images for your newly-submitted entries are ideal. I have removed the Description field information for all there, however, as summary information is not relevant to the field whatsoever. My only recommendation would be to supply more information since they are currently generic entries, but that isn't required.