Author Topic: New Low Poly Games?  (Read 2016 times)

New Low Poly Games?
« on: April 01, 2023, 02:04:57 am »
I've been seeing some fun small scale indie things going on, nothing in terms of proper releases yet I feel, but I love the look of the old school, low poly, game styles.  N64/PS1 era stuff with the low poly 3D models, perhaps textured animations for mouths and such, games like Mega Man Legends, but are also modern enough games that aren't going to play like the old ones did.   Anything out there to maybe check out?  I feel like a great looking take on this is that "Bloodborne Kart", where it's a silly PS1 demake of Bloodborne, but as a kart racer. 

Re: New Low Poly Games?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 08:39:23 pm »
I know this isn't really a game you're asking about playing, but I REALLY gotta heavily recommend Lunistice. It's just SO GOOD!

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 02:19:22 am »
I know this isn't really a game you're asking about playing, but I REALLY gotta heavily recommend Lunistice. It's just SO GOOD!

That's exactly the kind of game I want to see actually, it's like if they took Sonic the Hedgehog or Nights into Dreams and put it on the Playstation 1.  I'm not looking for any specific genre or anything like that, just new throwback games that have that mid to late 90's PS1/N64 feel to it.  I might have to pick up Lunistice.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 04:14:52 pm »
A little bump of this as I played 2 low poly platformers.  I played Lunistice which is a real nice time and Super Kiwi 64, which is a much more simple and short game, but I found it charming.  Still on the hunt for more of these types of games.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 07:36:57 pm »
Lunacid isn't a platformer, but it is a lowpoly game like King's Field that I've got on my Steam wishlist.  Looks really good.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 10:46:32 pm »
Lunacid isn't a platformer, but it is a lowpoly game like King's Field that I've got on my Steam wishlist.  Looks really good.

I'm not against other low poly type games, especially if it's interesting for someone else, like I'm definitely abit more interested in platformers, but also stuff like Mega Man Legends, action adventure shooter, or something like Lunacid could be an option.  That one is interesting, though would hinge alot on how the gameplay feels.  More recently Dark and Darker came out which I'd say is a more old school feeling game in a similar realm, just done with a setup like Escape from Tarkov, but I hate how the gameplay feels, it comes across very archaic and clunky and I couldn't get into it like others did.

I tossed Lunacid into my wishlist also, something to check out once it's out of early access.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 10:13:49 am »
Yeah, at $7 it's an easy "Why not?" purchase.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 07:28:21 am »
Pseudoraglia just came out, I wrote more on it in my 52 Games post, but it's good, the 3D platformer mobility features feel really great.  It has some rough edges, but for only 5 bucks, I can't complain too much, it feels like a real passion project for the dev.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 01:23:52 pm »
I'm not sure if it qualifies, but Frogun is another game that looks like it was ripped out of 1997 PS1/N64 era games. I'm personally a big fan of the low poly, early 3D look and hope more devs adopt it in the future. It always hits me right in the feels.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 03:00:26 pm »
I'm not sure if it qualifies, but Frogun is another game that looks like it was ripped out of 1997 PS1/N64 era games. I'm personally a big fan of the low poly, early 3D look and hope more devs adopt it in the future. It always hits me right in the feels.

I like the look of that one, gonna have to check that out sometime.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 07:58:17 am »
Pseudoraglia just came out, I wrote more on it in my 52 Games post, but it's good, the 3D platformer mobility features feel really great.  It has some rough edges, but for only 5 bucks, I can't complain too much, it feels like a real passion project for the dev.

Just came back to this thread to make sure this was mentioned.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 08:43:04 am »
A lot of those games would make me kind of dizzy due to the camera trying to keep up with the character (Glover, Gex, etc.). How is the camera with Pseudoraglia?

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 02:59:25 pm »
A lot of those games would make me kind of dizzy due to the camera trying to keep up with the character (Glover, Gex, etc.). How is the camera with Pseudoraglia?

I think I know what you mean, but the camera is really tight with Pseudoragalia.  There is a little side to side to it when going side to side, but it's otherwise very smooth and follows perfectly and you'd probably want to make sure to turn off the retro visual/framerate options, which will make the game even smoother.  You can watch some Youtube videos of it just in case as I don't know your issue exactly, but I remember how the camera could be rough at times for some old 3D platformers, but gameplay and camera is pretty good here.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 03:40:54 pm »
When it comes to this, I have something that could help.

NDS games are low-poly, like N64 and PS1.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 04:31:23 pm »
When it comes to this, I have something that could help.

NDS games are low-poly, like N64 and PS1.

You mean Nintendo DS? I mean, they can be for sure, but there's a particular aesthetic and feel that comes from games trying to throwback to that particular era of 3D gaming on the N64/PS1, plus more of what I want to see is new stuff, indie games.  Also that would require playing the DS and I don't like the DS lol Handheld gaming has never been a favorite of mine and a lot of stuff used the touch screen, which is why the few Zelda games I haven't played were the DS ones.