Author Topic: DK Oldies? A scandal, or just another smear campaign?  (Read 3406 times)

aliensstudios

Re: DK Oldies? A scandal, or just another smear campaign?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 07:16:50 pm »
Business is business. If folks are willing to spend that type of money for stuff that's only worth half or a third of the price they're paying, that's their prerogative. That being said, the whole "game collecting" hemisphere is generally a cultish sect of humanity who 75% of which would scalp or "rip off" someone else in order to make a few bucks. If you know how to navigate eBay and know what to look for when you're buying in terms of condition and authenticity, there is absolutely zero percent chance you would ever use DKOldies. They are way overpriced, plain and simple. Many things are extremely overpriced right now, but plastic electronic boxes and games shouldn't be one of those things, even the prices our own "community" wants to charge is a large rip-off.

I'd say 95% of DKOldies clientele are folks swiping mindlessly through Facebook shorts with one thumb in the tuchus and one thumb in their mouth playing switch and then they see one of DKOldies lame videos and get nostalgic, and the other 5% are the dudes on YouTube who skeptically disassemble and break down the consoles they're buying which most folks are simply never going to do. Most people will buy an item and if it works, it works. That's all that matters to them.

I'm not even sure what is so controversial about it, people are still buying from them despite the plethora of discriminating information against them right at their fingertips. To me, it's degenerates skeptical of other degenerates, and I'll do my best to stay away from bullcrap like that. Gaming is for fun and escapism, it's not about smarmy YouTubers and overpriced rip-off "businesses" like DKOldies.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gummo

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2023, 05:33:32 am »
There is a class action lawsuit against DKOldies going around right now, not that it means anything. Interesting development though.
   It appears that they’ve actually gotten a new console cleaning room and an air compressor to start doing what they’ve been claiming to do all along. Looks like some good is coming out of it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2023, 08:53:21 am »
Alienstudios - Thank you for putting it more eloquently than I could have myself. If we had a rep system, I'd rep you. Probably how my post should have read from the start. I couldn't put my finger on why this all irritated me as much as it did, but I think you nailed it.

If anyone doesn't believe me that they claimed to open and clean every console as part of the refurbishment it was in a comment on their "DKOldies Refurbishes Their Consoles" video which was an indirect response to the unboxing disasters going on at the time .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZug4fT8mM
It's still there in a comment left by Ian Campbell , you can scroll down into the comments and check for yourself .
"Ian Campbell

I mean... do you expect me to believe that despite having all the staff, the cleaning station, all the equipment, etc. It's all just fake and was for show to make a video where they stage fixing a console? In reality, they just take trade-ins and shove them out the door?

...or, is there a more logical explanation? Like, someone slacking on the job, quality control missing, unchecked consoles getting mixed up, or missed occasionally. Basically, making mistakes?

Or, are they really just as you guys claim, "lying" and "scamming" their customers? I'm inclined to go with the position that sounds not only more charitable, but more reasonable, and say that mistakes are probably being made. Not everything they send out is getting equal cleaning treatment, for some reason. I doubt it's because "DK Oldies is a scam". I make mistakes on my own job occasionally. Most of the time, customers are cool about it and I just fix the mistake for them. Other times, they're total insufferable assholes about it, making wild accusations and threats over the issue, even though I still fix it for them. I hate those types of people.

Folks could probably levy the same ongoing complaints against GameStop, or any number of other video game retailers big and small. When you're getting a used console, you're not getting perfect wares, no matter how much they charge. It's used, and also old. If you don't like it, some places like DK Oldies offer returns. Go elsewhere and find something supposedly better. How can you bring a lawsuit against someone who was willing to give your money back, and you never even complained about the product until someone else told you it wasn't good enough?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:48:10 am by Warmsignal »

gummo

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2023, 11:23:05 am »
If anyone doesn't believe me that they claimed to open and clean every console as part of the refurbishment it was in a comment on their "DKOldies Refurbishes Their Consoles" video which was an indirect response to the unboxing disasters going on at the time .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZug4fT8mM
It's still there in a comment left by Ian Campbell , you can scroll down into the comments and check for yourself .
"Ian Campbell
2 months ago
How much refurbishing is done if it DOES read a disc? Do you open them up at all? At those prices I’d hope folks aren’t getting a Wii full of cat hair because it was only wiped down and called refurbished.
DKOldies.com
2 months ago
Yes all consoles are opened and cleaned."

I mean... do you expect me to believe that despite having all the staff, the cleaning station, all the equipment, etc. It's all just fake and was for show to make a video where they stage fixing a console? In reality, they just take trade-ins and shove them out the door?

...or, is there a more logical explanation? Like, someone slacking on the job, quality control missing, unchecked consoles getting mixed up, or missed occasionally. Basically, making mistakes?
   There's no way to know if that Wii repair video was scripted or not . Believe whatever you want to about it .
   If you've seen the ex-employee interview by Jigsore , who interestingly got doxxed shortly thereafter , what he said the company policy was when he worked for them - they are not to open working consoles unless there's a rattle inside . They clean the outside as quickly as possible , maybe blow some air into the vents , and sent them out to customers . That's an owner/management issue , not slacking rogue employees .
    As to non-working consoles ,  I'm sure they fix some issues like lasers and 72 pin connectors .
    The unboxing videos corroborate the ex-employee's story . Even if you continue to ignore all of the dirt , filth , and broken pieces that people have found inside DKO consoles , some of those consoles still had their original factory tamper-proof seals intact so explain that .

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2023, 01:32:01 pm »
[...]
    The unboxing videos corroborate the ex-employee's story . Even if you continue to ignore all of the dirt , filth , and broken pieces that people have found inside DKO consoles , some of those consoles still had their original factory tamper-proof seals intact so explain that .

You're just going around in circles at this point.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2023, 04:07:29 pm »
[...]

Nah, that's the guy defending scammers doing that. "Oh the poor legitimate business men, just leave them alone!" Lol

gummo

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2023, 04:37:57 pm »
[...]

I guess I can pretend that it's a couple of extremely minor problems here and there too if that's preferable .

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2023, 04:42:48 pm »
[...]

I guess I can pretend that it's a couple of extremely minor problems here and there too if that's preferable .

You asked "How do you explain that?" in response to a post that already offered explanations.  You don't have to agree with them, but pretending like you're asking something new that hasn't been addressed is disingenuous.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2023, 04:58:51 pm »
[...]

You asked "How do you explain that?" in response to a post that already offered explanations.  You don't have to agree with them, but pretending like you're asking something new that hasn't been addressed is disingenuous.

You guys are really gonna gang up on him over this? For crying out loud. DKOldies are scammers, he's not wrong. You're just being a douche now.

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2023, 05:06:02 pm »
[...]

You guys are really gonna gang up on him over this? For crying out loud. DKOldies are scammers, he's not wrong. You're just being a douche now.

All I said is that they are just talking in circles (which they are - that's exactly what asking a question that has already been responded to is), and then stated that they are allowed to have their own opinion about the issue in question.  You responded by calling me a douche.  Perhaps you'll want to rephrase that?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2023, 05:42:28 pm »
[...]

All I said is that they are just talking in circles (which they are - that's exactly what asking a question that has already been responded to is), and then stated that they are allowed to have their own opinion about the issue in question.  You responded by calling me a douche.  Perhaps you'll want to rephrase that?

Nope. Was that a threat? I'm so so scared. Don't gang up on the guy over something this stupid. Douche.

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2023, 05:51:37 pm »
[...]

Nope. Was that a threat? I'm so so scared. Don't gang up on the guy over something this stupid. Douche.

It was not a threat, it was an offer for you to walk back your personal attack, which is a violation of forum rules, found here - https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10628.0.html

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2023, 05:56:41 pm »
[...]

It was not a threat, it was an offer for you to walk back your personal attack, which is a violation of forum rules, found here - https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10628.0.html

But since you're a mod you can attack him. Gotcha.  ::)

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2023, 05:58:33 pm »

Please point out which of my posts is an attack, and I will happily apologize.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2023, 06:29:57 pm »

Please point out which of my posts is an attack, and I will happily apologize.

I already did. It's clearly quoted.