Author Topic: Xbox decides to launch their second AAA exclusive of the gen at 30fps  (Read 2966 times)

Re: Xbox decides to launch their second AAA exclusive of the gen at 30fps
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 02:17:31 am »
Not even a 60 fps performance option? Yikes.  If this was my only option, I'd be kinda pissed about that with next gen hardware.  I personally don't care about 4k, I always turn a game to performance mode on PS5 when I can, because I want the game to run as smooth as possible, and I'll take smoother gameplay over higher resolution any day.  It doesn't affect me much, like if I bought the game, it's on PC, but with my low interest in the game and my PC not running the best these days, I'm not sure if I'll get around to the game anytime soon.  It's possible they add in performance post-release, that they ran out of time to get that going smoothly, so after optimization passes, it could work, but that's probably way down the road.

And I know we've had FPS talk around here before, I can let it slide on certain games, I played Tears of the Kingdom and that is often going below 30, but to me, there's certain games where it just affects it more and I don't care for going back to 30.  The gameplay is what matters and Starfield is a shooter and I want that to be as smooth as possible.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 02:21:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 11:25:55 pm »
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is apparently 30fps as well. What was the point of the current gen again? PS4 Pro and One X already output 4K so it wasn't that.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 11:45:53 pm »
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is apparently 30fps as well. What was the point of the current gen again? PS4 Pro and One X already output 4K so it wasn't that.

I saw that the lead or one of the team was talking about "cinematic quality" or something to justify the framerate, which makes zero sense being that movies are at 24, not 30, and also doesn't work being that the PC version will run at a higher framerate.  Like I know they can't just come out to say the hardware isn't powerful enough to do the higher framerate for the game with how they prioritized visuals/resolution, but performance to me always matter more to me.  Anymore, I only deal with 30fps on Switch games, but it's a thing of expectations too, where I know Switch is lesser hardware and also I feel more cartoony graphics aren't as problematic when it comes to the lower FPS/resolution.  It only bothers me when the FPS tanks and it's like a Pokemon Scarlet/Violet situation where the game is both pretty ugly and has bad framerate problems.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 10:37:50 am »

I saw that the lead or one of the team was talking about "cinematic quality" or something to justify the framerate, which makes zero sense being that movies are at 24, not 30, and also doesn't work being that the PC version will run at a higher framerate.  Like I know they can't just come out to say the hardware isn't powerful enough to do the higher framerate for the game with how they prioritized visuals/resolution, but performance to me always matter more to me.  Anymore, I only deal with 30fps on Switch games, but it's a thing of expectations too, where I know Switch is lesser hardware and also I feel more cartoony graphics aren't as problematic when it comes to the lower FPS/resolution.  It only bothers me when the FPS tanks and it's like a Pokemon Scarlet/Violet situation where the game is both pretty ugly and has bad framerate problems.
High framerates aren't a selling point for Switch like it is for Series X where they mention 120fps five times ont he product page.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2024, 04:36:31 pm »
I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.. Avowed will be 30fps on Series X.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/08/obsidian-confirms-that-avowed-runs-at-30fps-on-xbox-series-xs

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2024, 05:08:57 pm »
I'm very glad I dropped out of being an Xbox owner after the 360 lol I'd be really annoyed if that was the case for PS5, where usually I can get a smoother running performance mode out of most games.  I can deal with 30 fps if I have to, I'm a Switch owner, but that's because I don't expect games to run at 60 most of the time, but I hate when devs are like, "Oh, it's this style of game, it doesn't matter", because I feel like most games benefit from higher framerates, especially first person games like Avowed. There are games where it's less important, but if you are an action heavy game, single player or not, it absolutely matters.

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2024, 04:00:58 pm »
Hey Xbox! Your thing is slightly higher fidelity in graphics, first person shooters and niche marketing. Dont mess this up...

Xbox - "ok, lets drop our frames, release only 1 moderately exciting fps exclusive in 5 years and also just make our entire platform a pay to play stream service like a glorified gamefly"

Hey playstation! Your thing is first party exclusives, and a excellent passion for your IPs. Good UI. Dont copy xbox and you'll do good"

Playstation - Heres like 4 noteworthy generational games. We are ditching Uncharted, little big planet, sly and jak and daxter. Just 5 big titles. Only issue is. We also put 3 of those onto PS4 as well. So they arent exclusives at all. And our new focus isn't "games" silly folks. It's a digital hub that rips off game pass, longer play times to raise our ROIs and nothing special on the horizon. Literal PS Vita has more AAA exclusives than PS5"

Nintendo - Well I have an idea.  Lets release 50 exclusive hitters.  From tears of the kingtom to mario wonder. Lets incorperate more third party support like assassins creed and kowabunga collection.  And lastly. Let's prioritize physical collecting, port over almost every good wii u and gamecube game. Have a neat online virtual console portal spanning like 4 decades. And on top of it all? Revitalize gaming with a portal/home console hybrid that does it all...

Damn

Nintendo - Hold on. Im not done. Let me price it 200 dollars cheaper than my competitors and throw in way more special edition bundles. Promo deals. And the ability to use previous console gen controllers via usb. And im still not done. Pikmin 4. Luigis mansion 3. And metroid dread. Mario Odyssey?  Amiibo support? Adequate stock during pandemic?

Gee wonder why Switch is outselling the other 2 COMBINED lol.

This console gen is ass. Im done defending it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 04:03:30 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

dhaabi

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2024, 04:51:26 pm »
Gee wonder why Switch is outselling the other 2 COMBINED lol.

Foremost, I'm not here to argue for or against any specific platform of the ones listed below.

With that said, the Nintendo Switch isn't outselling the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series combined. What you're pointing to is lifetime sales, which is a poor basis to compare the three, as the Nintendo Switch has been on the market as a last-gen console for 7.5 years. Meanwhile, its competitors have been on the market for 3.75 years, so roughly half that time. At its three-year mark, the Nintendo Switch had sold around 55.7 million units. Oppositely, PlayStation 5's lifetime sales at that point were around 48.9 million despite the supply chain shortages of 2021 and 2022, whereas Xbox Series lifetime sales near the same time were around 25.3 million. So, while the number of sold Xbox Series consoles is notably low, the same cannot be said of PlayStation 5, with the latter selling almost just as much as the Nintendo Switch at the same milestone in spite of its production shortages. With this data, it shouldn't come as a surprise that a successful console that's been on the market for twice as long as its next-gen competitors has a higher total of lifetime sales.

Monthly sales reports from July 2024 estimate that 963,000 PlayStation 5 units, 652,000 Nintendo Switch units, and 435,000 Xbox Series units were sold. Going by the quoted text above, PlayStation 5 is the actually the system that's nearly outselling its two competitors combined. But, that also shouldn't be that surprising considering Nintendo's next console is forthcoming.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 04:54:14 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2024, 07:06:10 pm »
I think there was a big boost in console sales last month because of EA Sports College Football 25 being current gen only. It's apparently the best selling game of the year now.