Author Topic: A question of the utmost, unimportance.  (Read 3552 times)

ffxik

A question of the utmost, unimportance.
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:04:26 pm »
Since I seem to be the owner of one of these.....

I was just curious if any one here could give me some tips on some "kid friendly" basicaly pick up and play games.  Even though I grew up on video games I never paid much attention to the "childrens" games and am drawing a blank on what I could get her to play.

Shoot me dome advice on the retro consoles (pre-PSX).  I would be very grateful for any help.

scott

Re: A question of the utmost, unimportance.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »
Doom and Wolfenstien 3D
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »
Doom and Wolfenstien 3D
Please ignore this. Quake is much more suited to someone her age.... actually how old is she since that will make it easier to suggest games.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:18 pm »
Carmageddon, Chiller...

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »
Honest answers: There were a ton of games released for the Genesis that were actually marked "Sega Club" and were meant for kids. Some of them are actually fun, although a few might be too young for her.

Can't go wrong with anything Mario, Kirby, or Spyro, or any of the old Disney games would be good too. (Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
I would agree with the Mario, Kirby and Disney stuff ... but if you werent just looking for retro, Skylanders is cool as hell. My kids absolutely love them. Your little one looks to be a bit older than mine but not but much ... but she would be able to read what they were saying so it would be that much more enjoyable.

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »
Please ignore this. Quake is much more suited to someone her age.... actually how old is she since that will make it easier to suggest games.

She is 7

Doom and Wolfenstien 3D

Too late there my friend.  She already plays Doom, Turok 2, and Duke Nukem on the 64.  Plus she watches me play some rather questionable stuff.

Honest answers: There were a ton of games released for the Genesis that were actually marked "Sega Club" and were meant for kids. Some of them are actually fun, although a few might be too young for her.

Can't go wrong with anything Mario, Kirby, or Spyro, or any of the old Disney games would be good too. (Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.)

Already a big fan of Mario, Kirby and Zelda.  I'll keep thos Genesis games in mind I totally forgot about those.  Although I own World of Illusion, she get bored with it fairly fast.  :-\

Thanks everyone, keep'em coming though.  ;)

I would agree with the Mario, Kirby and Disney stuff ... but if you werent just looking for retro, Skylanders is cool as hell. My kids absolutely love them. Your little one looks to be a bit older than mine but not but much ... but she would be able to read what they were saying so it would be that much more enjoyable.

I have seriously been considering Skylanders.  The reason I asked about the retro is because that seems like what she always wants to play.  Gotta drag out systems from when I was around her age.
Not really she doesn't read so well.  We're working with her but she shows no interest in learning.

amauriel

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »
Skylanders definitely can be a money sink though, if she's of a collector nature.

I was just going to get 8 figures...one of each element. So 3 come with the game, 5 more, about $50. Easy.

A lot more money than I want to admit later, I've got all four on-disc DLC map packs, all the Toys R Us exclusive "Legendary" Skylanders, and 31 of the 32 standard ones (and as soon as I find Wham-Shell....)

If she's a kid that is sorta hard to buy for Christmas/Birthdays/Good Grades, Skylanders might be a great thing to get started. For a lot of families, however, a potential hobby like this is probably best avoided.

The game IS super enjoyable though.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »
Well, another good thing about Skylanders is everything that is typed on the screen is also said aloud. So reading isnt mandatory, just speeds up the process a little. And, sadly, I will agree with Amauriel. I figured we would get 5-6 skylanders and the boy would be happy. Now Im in the exact same boat. All 4 DLC packs and 35 of 36 characters.

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:16 pm »
Skylanders definitely can be a money sink though, if she's of a collector nature.
I was just going to get 8 figures...one of each element. So 3 come with the game, 5 more, about $50. Easy.

A lot more money than I want to admit later, I've got all four on-disc DLC map packs, all the Toys R Us exclusive "Legendary" Skylanders, and 31 of the 32 standard ones (and as soon as I find Wham-Shell....)

If she's a kid that is sorta hard to buy for Christmas/Birthdays/Good Grades, Skylanders might be a great thing to get started. For a lot of families, however, a potential hobby like this is probably best avoided.

The game IS super enjoyable though.

She isn't the one the finances have to worry about,  I'm the problem.

I'll keep that in mind,  I like the Spyro games so I may give it a shot.  If it is any indication I have a shelf hung for just Skylander figures at the moment.  So.....  :-[

Actually let me just say that I was paying $50 a month for 2 accounts on FFXI for 5 years.  It couldn't be that bad of a money sink..... could it?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:43:25 pm by ffxik »

scott

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »
Doom and Wolfenstien 3D

Quake II was a staple of my childhood.  :)

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
Quake not so much.  Played the hell out of Doom and Mortal Kombat II on the old SNES
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:19:04 pm by ffxik »

matt

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 08:58:30 pm »
On modern consoles, any of the Lego games are fantastic. They are all a little bit more boy oriented but nontheless they are fantastic.

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:03:56 pm »
Seconding the Lego games, especially the DC Comics and Indiana Jones series.

scott

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »
Mickey Mania on Genesis is really good. Kinda on the challenging side in parts. But I loved every minute of it... maybe its because I grew up on Disney cartoons though.