Author Topic: Selling/Trading Games -- 2023  (Read 685 times)

telekill

Selling/Trading Games -- 2023
« on: April 25, 2023, 08:35:57 am »
Probably since the early PS4 days, I decided to hold off on trading/selling any games, figuring that I'd at some point, return to a completed game for another go around. Plus, prices were worse than driving a new car off the lot. You'd be lucky to recoup 50% of your purchase as soon as you opened the game.

I took a look at my PS5 collection and decided that I'm going to trade in Horizon FW to put towards the new Zelda. The $15-$20 isn't needed. I'm not hurting financially. I just find that I've lost interest in the game due to it being so bloated with content that doesn't interest me. The main story was ok, but just wasn't pulling me in. On top of that, I don't have the time to play through every 30-100 hour game anymore. There was a time, where I would push through a game to complete the story. I did that with the first Watch Dogs, AC Origins and others. Then, with my current shift in how I spend my free time (decided to try my hand at writing a novel), I know I won't be revisiting Forbidden West.

I know many here are hardcore collector's. After all, this is VG Collect. Have you hit a point anytime this year where you've decided to downsize?

Re: Selling/Trading Games -- 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 08:59:16 am »
I definitely slowed down and stopped purchasing a lot of stuff, but I've yet to get to the point of selling stuff.  Trading I haven't done in years, I find trading too tedious.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 06:31:07 pm »
I tend to trade my games on console a lot of the time.  Not all the time, there's stuff I do keep, but games like God of War: Ragnarok, or Last of Us 2, or a lot of the more story driven big games, I tend to trade those in for something else as I'm unlikely to replay them.  Usually helps keep my console game costs down abit when I chain trade-ins.  I think recently I went from God of War: Ragnarok, to trading for Sonic Forces (Didn't like), and then traded that towards Horizon: Forbidden West (Struggled to muster up interest in it to get to the meat of hte game), and now that was put towards my Metroid Prime Remastered or Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom pre-order, I forget which exactly, of which I'll be keeping both probably after I beat them.

Usually I want to keep game collection stuff, games that have really good replay value, or games I really loved.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 12:45:39 pm »
I will sell/trade doubles- but nothing I don't have an extra of usually unless I'm really not attached to the games (like Gamecube commons) 

I was able to trade for a CIB Demikids Light Edition at my most recent local retro expo last month- there are definitely benefits to trade when you don't want to fork over large stacks of cash for really expensive games. 

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 02:16:31 pm »
I feel like I've hit a point with my current collection where I'm mostly happy with it and can't see a lot of opportunities for a major downsize. Of course, if push came to shove and either some massive expense reared its ugly head, or I lost my job, then a forced downsizing would be necessary. The last major downsize I had was in late 2020 when i decided to capitalize on everyone going insane over retro games. I ended up selling a lot of PS1 and PS2 JRPGs, as well as some harder to find handheld games which I ended up making a decent amount of money on. I didn't think I'd ever get around to playing the games I ended up selling and tbh I don't even remember or miss most of what I sold in that purge.

Lately, I've mostly just been picking games here and there out of my collection to sell at collector's swap meets. These are typically games that I've played and found them to be not fun enough to justify keeping them, games I can't see myself ever playing again, and games that at one time I wanted to keep, but upon later evaluation I decided I'd let them go. Again, unless a major situation comes up that requires a massive purge, I imagine this is how I'll be downsizing from here on out. Of course, I seem to buy just as many games as I end up selling, so in a way I'm not really downsizing, just hovering around 1800 game, or whatever number I'm presently at :P

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 05:38:41 pm »
I rarely trade it's rarely worth to much of a hassle plus most people don't have the stuff your looking for it's usually a waste of time.

also shipping costs if it ain't local. I can definitely see the appeal of trades though especially for super rare stuff or if you trade hard to sell games for hyped ones

Trading dupes at gamestores for credit and getting games from there that's a different story though, did that tons. it's easy, secure ye got the volume free shipping. Don't do that to much anymore. Gamestore deals ain't what they used to be in which trade ins where way better than selling at market value for fodder to medium titles. I miss those times, it was ridiculous what kinda stock some of my favourite game stores had on the regular for niche titles for very cheap prices.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 05:41:52 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 09:00:41 pm »
No. Not planning to downside, probably ever. We'll see when the day comes that I've played most of my games.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 06:40:03 pm »
No not downsizing yet but I am starting to organize my extra copies and count the amount of games In each box. Been thinking about now might be a good time to stop being so lazy and sell them but first i have to figure out what I got.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 12:47:54 am »
In the last month or so, I have sold off a few games that I know for fact I will not ever get to as I have prioritized playing what I have more than adding to the collection. So far I have been a selling a few games from this generation and last. Not sure if I will sell off older stuff but only time will tell.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 09:23:32 am »
I tried to downsize a week or so back, listing a bunch of stuff on offerup locally and got 2 responses over that time.  One asking if an item was still available with no response after I replied.  And another asking if I'd take $20.

Pretty much sums up my experience trying to downsize in the past.  I'll probably go to ebay or something eventually.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 03:50:34 pm »
I tried to downsize a week or so back, listing a bunch of stuff on offerup locally and got 2 responses over that time.  One asking if an item was still available with no response after I replied.  And another asking if I'd take $20.

Pretty much sums up my experience trying to downsize in the past.  I'll probably go to ebay or something eventually.

I'm not to sure what your trying to sell. but if it's filler stuff might be in your best interest to make a sizable lot per console instead of selling it seperately. lots do tend to go quite quickly in my experience. you will take quite a bit less than selling them seperately but filler stuff is very hard to sell and in actuality quite a bit less worth than market value unless it's for a console like the saturn.

Otherwise see what a store gives, can in some cases be interesting for filler stuff instead of selling it in a lot.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 02:18:15 am »
As long as my "doubles"/"for sale" bins have games in them, I'm always selling. Trading in the sense of how GameStop does it has never been my thing, as I'd rather sell the game myself since chances are I'll make more that way than doing a trade. Trading a game for another I did maybe once or twice during high school, but haven't bothered to in recent times since, like sworddude said, most people don't have what I'm after, especially considering I'm not looking for much, and what I want most people would rather sell. And quite frankly, I'm at a point where I no longer care about those white whales...

[...] The last major downsize I had was in late 2020 when i decided to capitalize on everyone going insane over retro games. [...]

People going crazy over video games, whether modern or retro, and seeing prices boil over the way they did was quite a wild interlude during all that COVID nonsense. Making sales wasn't new to me since I was already doing my share here and there, but having amassed multiple copies of games from lots I had purchased pre-pandemic, and then the fact I still had stuff in my collection I wasn't interested in set me up for a really nice windfall that quite frankly, like you, I took full advantage of and have no shame admitting.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!