Author Topic: Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection Announced  (Read 1124 times)

telekill

Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection Announced
« on: April 26, 2023, 10:09:12 pm »
Ok, I'm tentatively excited about this. I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan and have been hoping for a collection like the TMNT Cowabunga Collection we got last year. There seem to be a couple catches on this though. First, it's Limited Run Games. Second, they only mention the Nintendo games.

For me to buy this, they'll need to at least add all the Sega games. The collection is said to be releasing this year. The full list nor the platforms are announced as of yet.

Here's my wish list for this collection:
 - Jurassic Park (Genesis)
 - JP Rampage Edition (Genesis)
 - JP (Game Gear)
 - JP (Sega CD)
 - JP (SNES)
 - JP (NES)
 - JP (Game Boy)
 - JP 2 (SNES)
 - JP 2 (Game Boy)
 - JP (3DO)
 - Lost World (Genesis)
 - LW (Game Gear)
 - LW (PS1/Saturn)
 - LW (Game Boy)
 - Warpath JP (PS1)

As it stands, they only pictured the first game's Nintendo releases. On top of that, I don't expect any of the Lost World games as the 30th Anniversary for those would be 2027. Time will tell.

Link below:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/04/the-jurassic-park-games-are-getting-a-30th-anniversary-retro-collection

Re: Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection Announced
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 10:26:47 pm »
This is a pretty cool announcement, especially since the JP franchise is one that is very important to me. As for the games, I played the Genesis game the most, and it was awesome to play as a raptor is just destroy everything. Regardless, I found this game pretty frustrating and outside of getting a quick hit of nostalgia, I don't enjoy playing it that much anymore. I've never played most of the other JP games, but from what I've seen most seem okay. I will say this however, if they announce the The Lost Word arcade in this collection I will instantly buy this day 1! I'm 99% sure this isn't going to happen, but The Lost World Arcade is one of my favorite arcade games of all time and one that is even more nostalgic to me than the aforementioned Genesis JP game. Fingers crossed that one is included, but otherwise I'll probably pass on this collection since I own the originals that i grew up with.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 03:26:05 am »
Going by what they showed, it's just gonna be a very limited selection of the Ocean Software releases, which is only 5 games, but I'm still kinda interested.  The only one I played was the SNES Jurassic Park game, so the others would be new and I do like collections such as this, though being LRG is definitely not great.  We'll see though.  Hopefully some other games can make it in, Jurassic Park on the Genesis is the only other I've played.  Not that I think the games were great, but I got nostalgia for them.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:07:42 am »
I'm sure it's just going to be repros of the originals and maybe individual $40-50 copies of the roms running on Carbon for Switch/PS4.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 02:39:25 pm »
Played the hell out of Genesis JP and Rampage Edition back in the day, but it does sadly look like just a Ocean release. Jurassic Park (NES) was terrible. Do not recommend. I've never played the others so I am still interested. No way it's gonna have the 3DO or Lost World games.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 02:46:05 pm »
The SNES JP game is pretty underrated.  Got a cool overworld and neat first-person sections (that you can use the SNES mouse for!).  It was just a pain to play because there was no save system, IIRC.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 09:30:13 pm »
The SNES JP game is pretty underrated.  Got a cool overworld and neat first-person sections (that you can use the SNES mouse for!).  It was just a pain to play because there was no save system, IIRC.

The lack of a save system was pretty terrible. I got this game for Christmas 1993, when I was a wee lad of nine years old, and didn't beat it until I was an adult due to the length and lack of save.

That said, I'll still end up getting this because to this day Jurassic Park is my favourite movie of all time.

telekill

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 10:31:29 pm »
I absolutely loved the Genesis and Game Gear games. I only played a little of the SNES game but I think the NES version was essentially the same but not graphically as good.

NES:

SNES:

Game Boy:

Then the Sega games: My shadowbox:

Game Gear:

Sega CD:

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 05:31:57 am »
I remember staying in line for over four hours to watch the movie back in the winter (in the Southern Hemisphere) of 1993. I was absolutely blown away by the experience and, to this day, it was the most amazing experience I've ever had inside of a movie theater.

Second to Alex Kidd, the Master System version of Jurassic Park was probably the game I played the most back in the day and I still get back to it at least a few times every year.
I'd love to see it being included in some compilation for modern consoles, but my hopes are close to zero... haha

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 07:54:22 pm »
Just saw that Limited Run released the line-up of games for their Jurassic Park: Classic Games Collection and gotta say I'm pretty disapointed...
My favorite Jurassic Park games have always been the ones on the Sega consoles (especially the one on the Master System/Game Gear), but it seems their collection only includes the Nintendo ones.
I was looking forward for this release, but it's gonna be a pass for me. Not worth paying the shipping to Japan... Haha

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 03:45:18 pm »
A surprise addition, but they've announced that the two Genesis games are being added to the collection.  Weird to announce a collection and not include all the games in it right away, but it's a good thing at least.

https://www.destructoid.com/genesis-mega-drive-games-are-being-added-to-jurassic-park-classic-games-collection/

telekill

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 08:20:39 am »
If that's the case... then this collection is finally worth owning. Not the collection it should be, still missing the Game Gear, Sega CD and 3DO games... but I'll take what I can.

Now the question... seems they upped the price from $35 to $40. That's fine. Should we expect this to release on store shelves like some of their other classic re-releases?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:33:22 am by telekill »

ferraroso

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 08:33:11 am »
If that's the case... then this collection is finally worth owning. Not the collection it should be, still missing the Game Gear, Sega CD and 3DO games... but I'll take what I can.

Yeah it’s still missing the Master System/Game Gear Jurassic Park game (which happens to be my favorite), but at least, now there’s a reason for me to buy this collection! Good news indeed!!

telekill

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2023, 08:43:25 am »
I'm curious if they will add the Game Gear and Sega CD games down the line before release to insentivise others into ordering a copy? Not out of the realm of possibility with the late announcement of the Genesis games.

telekill

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 11:13:26 am »
The box art is horrible. If I order this, I'll have to update it. Glad it says the art is subject to change.