Author Topic: VGCollect 2023 Secret Santa!  (Read 12698 times)

kashell

Re: VGCollect 2023 Secret Santa!
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2023, 08:27:13 am »
In my tenure of having the handle "Kashell" I've been various names: Kash, Kashy, Kashypoo, Ka$h, etc. I've never been called Kashell Smith, though. So, to my Secret Santa, I want to thank you for adding a new nickname to the list.

All that to say, I've received my gift addressed to Kashell Smith. Thanks, Santa! I can't wait to open it.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2023, 09:22:24 am »
So when would folks like to do an opening? I will be out of the country Dec. 13th to the 19th so what if we did that first week in December? So Dec. 3rd to the 9th?
I think that first week of December should be fine. Depending on the overseas shipping, not everyone might be able to join in unwrapping but they can still login.

Also, where are you headed??
In my opinion, the first week of december is too early. I probably cannot attend :(
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

dhaabi

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2023, 09:57:08 am »
I've just sent PMs to those who've not yet notified me or made public that they've mailed their gift.

Additionally, three gift packages have been mailed, two of which have been received. Two more packages should be mailed out by Friday, from everything I've gathered at this moment. I'm glad to see everything moving along as expected without any issues.

telly

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2023, 12:18:53 pm »
So when would folks like to do an opening? I will be out of the country Dec. 13th to the 19th so what if we did that first week in December? So Dec. 3rd to the 9th?
I think that first week of December should be fine. Depending on the overseas shipping, not everyone might be able to join in unwrapping but they can still login.

Also, where are you headed??
In my opinion, the first week of december is too early. I probably cannot attend :(

We opened on the 9th last year. Would the 9th work for you this year? That's a Saturday. Alternatively we could try the 10th - 12th. My flight is on the 13th.
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2023, 07:08:37 pm »
I think the 9th works for me.

kashell

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2023, 09:05:24 am »
Saturday the 9th should work depending on the time. Holiday party time is ramping up already.

pzeke

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2023, 09:44:02 am »
In my tenure of having the handle "Kashell" I've been various names: Kash, Kashy, Kashypoo, Ka$h, etc. I've never been called Kashell Smith, though. So, to my Secret Santa, I want to thank you for adding a new nickname to the list.

All that to say, I've received my gift addressed to Kashell Smith. Thanks, Santa! I can't wait to open it.

Probably the package was most likely addressed to just "Kashell" and the postal clerk gave them the "this must have a legible address to be shipped" spiel. I know I've had in the past when sending packages with only an Internet username to go by, the one that sticks out the most being "Pipin Rogers" due to the look the dude behind the counter gave me. Most don't care as long as the actual address is indeed legible, but others are just bumbling pedants.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telly

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2023, 10:59:50 am »

Probably the package was most likely addressed to just "Kashell" and the postal clerk gave them the "this must have a legible address to be shipped" spiel. I know I've had in the past when sending packages with only an Internet username to go by, the one that sticks out the most being "Pipin Rogers" due to the look the dude behind the counter gave me. Most don't care as long as the actual address is indeed legible, but others are just bumbling pedants.

I think I've just written "VGC Secret Santa" on the label if I didn't have the name of my recipient though in hindsight that might not have been the best option.  :-[ I remember my first year I had tpugmire and I just wrote T. Pugmire as the recipient and still I don't know if his last name is actually Pugmire. Haha
Currently Playing:

pzeke

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2023, 09:14:53 pm »
I once had a buyer on eBay who somehow managed to make his account without filling out the last name field, so when I went to get his address I was greeted with just "Spidey" as his "name". I didn't question it, I didn't really bother with it, I just packaged everything and went to the post office. When I got there I saw the same guy who's a stickler for correctness and surely enough he took my turn, but since I still do addresses by hand, I took out a pen and before handing out the package wrote next to the buyer's "name", "Gonzalez". The reaction was quite jovial, he actually got the references, and apparently I made his morning.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

dhaabi

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2023, 09:57:58 am »
Most don't care as long as the actual address is indeed legible, but others are just bumbling pedants.

Technically, full names are required when mailing items through USPS. With that said, USPS also specifies rules such as it isn't permitted to use pencils to address items. Rules like these aren't heavily enforced and will only be inspected more in-depth if the item is suspicious. We've all received mail unaddressed to us specifically (Postal Customer, Current Resident, Dad/Mom/etc. no name but mailing address), but it's never an issue for items with these addressee types to be sent. In the end, delivery companies work for the sender, not the receiver. If the actual mailing address is correct on an item, it will almost always be guaranteed to be delivered without issue. Of course, it's obviously much better to supply a suitable addressee name when it's possible.

The most outlandish addressee name I've ever come across has been NUMBER 15 BURGER KING BURGER, and the item was delivered to a residential household.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 10:09:17 am by dhaabi »

pzeke

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2023, 10:16:22 am »
Most don't care as long as the actual address is indeed legible, but others are just bumbling pedants.

Technically, full names are required when mailing items through USPS. With that said, USPS also specifies rules such as it isn't permitted to use pencils to address items. Rules like these aren't heavily enforced and will only be inspected more in-depth if the item is suspicious. We've all received mail unaddressed to us specifically (Postal Customer, Current Resident, Dad/Mom/etc. no name but mailing address), but it's never an issue for items with these addressee types to be sent. In the end, delivery companies work for the sender, not the receiver. If the actual mailing address is correct on an item, it will almost always be guaranteed to be delivered without issue.

The most outlandish addressee name I've ever come across has been NUMBER 15 BURGER KING BURGER, and the item was delivered to a residential household.

Sure, but some postal workers can be a tad unrelenting when it comes to sticking to certain "rules". I always make sure the address itself is perfect, to the point I quadruple check and still sometimes go over everything again. But there have been instances where the name is uncommon or outright not a name and the person behind the counter has given me flak for it. Sure, a good 7 out of those 10 instances they take the package and essentially go "your problem if it gets lost or whatever", but the other 3 will take things to a level that's wholly unnecessary. I'm of course speaking from experience, I reckon it's not the same everywhere else.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 10:17:53 am by pzeke »

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2023, 12:49:52 pm »

Turns out the 9th does not work for me, but don't hold things up on my account.

telly

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2023, 01:56:58 pm »

What about the 10th 11th or 12th? I can do any of those days! Maybe others can too?
Currently Playing:

dhaabi

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2023, 04:46:49 pm »
I've confirmed six of eight gift packages having been mailed out already (two of which have been received), and one more should be mailing out within the next day. I'm glad the mailing process has been going well and is as early as it is now, because I knew it'd be likely for there to be a group get together where gifts are opened live which tends to happen earlier in December.

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2023, 10:49:03 am »

What about the 10th 11th or 12th? I can do any of those days! Maybe others can too?

Those are probably fine, just don't want to hold it up for just me.