Author Topic: Something about Persona 2 (PS1)  (Read 2926 times)

Something about Persona 2 (PS1)
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:16:39 pm »
I was getting ready to add an entry for the NA version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1), but then I noticed something... my copy of the game is a 'pack' of sorts, and actually comes with both Eternal Punishment and Revelations: Persona in the double case.  I've done a bit of research, but I can't figure it out... is that how all versions of Eternal Punishment were released in NA?  Is my copy a part of that reprint Atlus did a few years back?  Or do I have some sort of crazy freak copy?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

ffxik

Re: Something about Persona 2 (PS1)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:45 pm »
I was getting ready to add an entry for the NA version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1), but then I noticed something... my copy of the game is a 'pack' of sorts, and actually comes with both Eternal Punishment and Revelations: Persona in the double case.  I've done a bit of research, but I can't figure it out... is that how all versions of Eternal Punishment were released in NA?  Is my copy a part of that reprint Atlus did a few years back?  Or do I have some sort of crazy freak copy?

Couple of questions.
Did you buy the game used?
Does it mention anywhere on the packaging about Persona: Revelations being included?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:13:26 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »

Couple of questions.
Did you buy the game used?
Does it mention anywhere on the packaging about Persona: Revelations being included?
Yes to the first question.

To the second... yes and no.  The side of the case, the top side has 'Persona 2: Eternal Punishment' on it, and the bottom side part has 'Revelations: Persona' on it.  However, the front is the normal Persona 2 PS1 art, and the back has the PS1 Persona 1 back.

Sorry, I know that sounds confusing. xp

EDIT: Also of note is that the front of the case, with the P2 art, still states that it's one disc, though it clearly has P1 and P2 in it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:11:27 pm by gaiages »
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:18:11 pm »
It will. Eternal Punishment says it's only one disc even though it was released with two.  One game disc and one bonus materials disc.  They didn't count the bonus as an extra for some reason.  I have complete versions of both if you would like some pictures posted to base this off of.

I would have to say that the original owner put both in one case to save space or something to that effect.  They never (to  my knowledge) released both in a single pack. 

soera

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:21:39 pm »
I will probably agree with the last statement. It sounds like a clustered combo of both disks. I havent seen a combo pack either.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:14 am »
If it's not listed here:

http://game-rave.com/psx_games/o_s/index.htm

The it doesn't exist.

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:53 am »
If it's not listed here:

http://game-rave.com/psx_games/o_s/index.htm

The it doesn't exist.

Thats site is very in-depth, on select titles.  Unfortunatly Eternal Punishment isn't detailed.   :-\

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:17:04 am »
Looking at my copy, the second disk should say "Persona 2: Eternal Punishment" on it with the words "bonus disc" at the bottom.  It sounds like the original owner did some weird Frankenstein work to combine both P1 and P2.

In any case, sucks for whatever became of the original P1 case, manual, the the bonus disc.

I'm hoping you didn't pay the going rate for that copy... :\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:35 am »
I'm gonna' have to agree w/ everyone else who's saying that the previous owner just did that to keep them together.

As was mentiioned, it does come w/ a 2nd "Bonus" Disc w/ "making of" & some Q & A/interviews on it.

As far as I know, the only 'anomaly' for this game, is that there *was* a re-print of it which is sealed differently from the sealing of the 1st print of the game.

In fact, the re-printed version is one of the few games (that I've handled) where you can have a PS1 game that looks like an obvious "re-seal" job...and it's actually Legit.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:55:50 pm »
Thats site is very in-depth, on select titles.  Unfortunatly Eternal Punishment isn't detailed.   :-\
My point stands. If there had been a separate release with both games it would be listed there.

It isn't. :p

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 06:14:34 pm »
Ah, I see.  It's definitely not the bonus disk that that P2 is supposed to come with, that's for sure.  I'm a little sad at the loss of the P1 manual/P2 bonus disk and back, but really, it was a gift from someone that bought it from... somewhere, so I can't be too upset about it.  :)  And, I mean, whoever did the job did darn good at making it look legit, so it doesn't look all that bad on the shelf.  ;)  I would take a few pics, but my phone camera isn't really state-of-the-line, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

EDIT: Apparently it came with the P1 manual as well, so that's good... and my gift-giver paid about $35 for it, so I guess it could have been worse (I'm not sure how much each game goes for anymore). :o

Thanks for all the help figuring it out, guys.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:23:31 pm by gaiages »

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »
EDIT: Apparently it came with the P1 manual as well, so that's good... and my gift-giver paid about $35 for it, so I guess it could have been worse (I'm not sure how much each game goes for anymore). :o

Yeah, not bad if you didn't have P1 and P2!  the CIB P2 goes for about $60 and CIB P1 goes for more, I think.  I haven't been scoping out P1 as much as I did with "Eternal Punishment" because EP is the one that hasn't been released on PSP yet.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 03:28:50 am »
My point stands. If there had been a separate release with both games it would be listed there.

It isn't. :p

True,  I was thinking variant instead of stand alone release.  To be honest I did enjoy reading up on what few games they do have fully detailed on there.

htimreimer

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:38:32 pm »

i think it is some weird version of the game that know one of for an example i have a copy of moonbase for pc and thare is information on the net or on the disk on the version i have  and because the label poorly rendered i dont know what was the company that made it

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »
i think it is some weird version of the game that know one of for an example i have a copy of moonbase for pc and thare is information on the net or on the disk on the version i have  and because the label poorly rendered i dont know what was the company that made it
No.

This isn't like the PC where anyone and their pet dog could make a release and sell it from their basement. This is a PS1 game. This stuff was properly cataloged and tracked by Sony. Furthermore, there's a LOT of games that have next to no info on the internet. I have many rare games that nobody really cares about so there's little info on them around.