Author Topic: Is my copy of Link to the Past a repro?  (Read 770 times)

Is my copy of Link to the Past a repro?
« on: January 16, 2024, 06:43:48 pm »
I need your help to determine if my copy of Link to the Past is a repro.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Is my copy of Link to the Past a repro?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 07:04:27 pm »
Looks... fine. The back label was probably taken off by a previous owner. But can't really say without seeing the board itself.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:06:03 pm »
You don't see anything off about it?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 07:55:31 pm »
Like I said can't say definitely unless I see the board. You're making it sound like I'm suppose to notice something. The Nintendo logo on the back is a little hard to make out but that's more likely because of thr lighting and where the shadows fall. I'm assuming the back label was taken off due to rental stickers or it was torn and then taken off because it looks cleaner. Still no pictures of the circut board, I can't say 100% if it's fake or not.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 07:59:54 pm »
I asked someone on another site, and they said maybe the previous owner removed the back sticker after replacing the battery.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 08:08:57 pm »
There could be any number of reasons for why the back label was removed. If you're wanting definitive answers, the cartridge would need to be opened, as has been stated already.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 08:17:24 pm »
Should I open up all my cartridges to see if they're authentic?

This is the ONLY game in my collection without a back sticker, which is why I think it might be a repro.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:20:59 pm by castletonsnob »

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 08:27:09 pm »
Should I open up all my cartridges to see if they're authentic?

This is the ONLY game in my collection without a back sticker, which is why I think it might be a repro.

If you plan on selling any games or are one who only wants official items as part of your collection, then I'd suggest that. Otherwise, if each game plays as it should and you're fine not knowing either way, then there's nothing wrong with that.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 08:29:59 pm »
I need your help to determine if my copy of Link to the Past is a repro.

probably legit, no way in hell a repro would have such a damaged lable.

you can open it up to check the board but imo considering it's not that valuable + the actual condition seems fine

considering the fact that the front lable ain't looking to hot, the back lable was probably in a horrible shape, and thus removed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:34:43 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 08:31:16 pm »
I got my copy of ALttP from Amazon, where I get all my retro games. I've always had good luck with Amazon, except for that one time when I ordered Mortal Kombat 3 for SNES, and somehow got a copy of Q-Bert 3 with an MK3 sticker.

I got my copy of ALttP for $44.99.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 08:33:42 pm »
I got my copy of ALttP from Amazon, where I get all my retro games. I've always had good luck with Amazon, except for that one time when I ordered Mortal Kombat 3 for SNES, and somehow got a copy of Q-Bert 3 with an MK3 sticker.

I got my copy of ALttP for $44.99.

well in that case they just replaced the back with that from another game. the original was probably discolored.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 08:54:59 pm »
It's still good practice to open the games yourself to at least give the contacts a good cleaning. Personally I would still check the board because while it's been a while I have gotten fake GBA games through Amazon before.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 05:21:43 am »
Given how beat up the front is, it's possible the previous owner just didn't take very good care of the game.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 05:39:40 am »
Given how beat up the front is, it's possible the previous owner just didn't take very good care of the game.

the original owner as a kid probably yes

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 05:41:17 am »

the original owner as a kid probably yes

TBF, when I was a kid, I didn't take great care of my games either.