Author Topic: how would you rank your collecting experience per console  (Read 1212 times)

sworddude

how would you rank your collecting experience per console
« on: January 17, 2024, 03:06:37 pm »
How would you rank your overall collecting experience per console? It would be interesting to see viewpoints in how other collectors experienced collecting for certain consoles througouth them years Which ones are fun to collect for and obviously which ones are not that great. There can be a variety of reasons for it.

I'm personally ranking them on my overall experience, not just the last few years. I also won't include consoles that I just have a few games for. I don't really seriously collect for those

Gameboy/GBA

There isn't much like these consoles, they are underrated for being handhelds the supply is nice and quite some folks tend to overlook them, the libraries are pretty indepth aswell, the boxes look amazing and with gameboy classic even the shovelware titles look kinda sexy in cib shape. also for being handhelds original owners tend to forget their games more often since the games are cheaper. They are not games for your main tv, you have a higher shot for stuff to be in barely used if ever condition. it's not that uncommon to find premium quality condition stuff for these systems. There ain't much that beats adding allot of games for these consoles to the collection and sleeving them up it is very satisfying.

Super Nintendo

As hyped and competitive as said console is. the supply is actually very good way more than most retro consoles and the library has a ton of depth that leaves plenty of space for error. condition wise since it is a console it ain't as easy to find excellent condition boxes as for them Nintendo handhelds. That being said, the sheer hype I always get from getting a good cib snes deal is unmatched, it has that right balance between having decent challenge to get good deals, while actually being doable. Plus the actual game boxes looking great and the games being excellent some of the best stuff in the hobby so to speak. The snes having good supply, depth and especially the hype for getting the good deals makes it borderline Peak tier for me. it is however not as ez to get the deals and stuff being in excellent shape which keeps it from being in the top tier. It is never a bad day when you add a few cib snes games to the collection.

Sega genesis/cd:

Supply is actually slightly worse than snes but still pretty great. library has plenty of depth and was for the longest time decently underrated. stuff was cheap as hell. The reason why i'd place it below snes is that it loses out on the hype factor. it's easier to score them deals, although the sega cd portion and all them awesome imports do elevate the hype quite a bit. another thing is that them boxes don't look as good as the above Nintendo cardboard, plus another pet peeve with sega is that sunfade is a thing when you score stuff which is rarely an issue with any other retro console unless said conditions extreme. at the end of the day it's more impressive to find excellent nintendo cardboard than it is sega clamshells with nice manuals. it is what it is but getting that bronze medal is pretty nice still.

Ps1:

For the longest time aside from the rpg's quite underrated ez to collect for. it's also far more common to score a whole bunch of games for this system. It's library is such a treasure trove even till this day I see games that I've never heard about. Very satisfying console to collect for just not as satisfying as the ones above. Still solid S tier though it has to many plusses.

ps2:

Comparable to the ps1 but with more trash and more gems. It's inferior to the ps1 in almost everyway for me, the looks of the actual cases, the games, the hunt. It's a fantastic console to collect for still but it is a tier below ps1.

Sega saturn/ dreamcast:

The supply is pretty bad but when you do score stuff it do be pretty hype. I've had a great experience collecting for these consoles it's definitely not something you come across often but when you do it's great. libraries for both consoles are really interesting aswell, not the biggest libraries but what's out there is very interesting and not just the popular stuff.

DS:

Such a diverse library not that hard to collect for. I love the imports for said console. it's just generally not as fun to collect for as the consoles above but it still has a ton to offer for me. I would call it the ps2 of handhelds but with that also comes a lower hype lvl. it's just not as satisfying when you score stuff for this console.

Neo geo cd/pocket:

Eventhough the supply was very low, these consoles where very underrated. I recall especially with neo geo pocket how nobody was looking for it. The games also just have pretty stylish packaging. Especially the neo geo pocket stuff with them clammshells look so nice. almost as good as Nintendo cardboard. I remember how you could lowball stuff for sale for weeks until they caved in and sold stuff for cheap since nobody was looking for it. good stuff. and in terms of cd it's always exciting to try and score english releases instead of japanese.

Master system:

It's a sega genesis light for me. the library is a huge downgrade compared to anything 16 bit but it's still interesting enough. and as ugly as the boxes look it's oddly satisfying to collect for said system. It is pretty sad that in terms of imports there ain't much for master system. (tec toy sheninigans aside)

Psp

It's a poor mans ds for my taste, supply is not terrible but there is so much trash for this system. in general majority is trash that's just par for the course but with psp you just add an extra layer on top of that. so much shovelware or just generic triple A titles that haven't aged well in the current era. I do like it's library and it does have depth it do however be a bit of an rpg sausage fest. it's not as varied as the ds sadly.

cube:

If this where a gameplay tier list it would be at the very top but in terms of collecting cube has some huge issues. My biggest issue with cube is just that a majority of cube collecting is the first party stuff that everyone knows about. your mario's your zelda's it's just not that exciting. used to be easy as hell when I got most my stuff for this console. but cause of how 1st party invested the library is, everyone knows what they have and it is quite a hard console to collect for these days. overall though cool console but there is just not much of a suprise factor with this one as it's main downfall for me.

wii:

There is way less focus on first party stuff compared to cube, quite a bit more 3rd party stuff with this one, but not as much as you might expect. The overall quality is also just less compared to cube. also compared to cube people abused the hell out of the wii. stuff being in lesser shape is far more common with wii. allot of stuff out there is not that interesting to score stuff for said system. on top of that just less wow factor compared to cube if you do score the good stuff.

N64:

A yes N64. The supply isn't that terrible issue is that the N64 library is actually bare bones. 90+ % of the good stuff is first party stuff for my taste. Absolutely zero depth in it's library. also a really hard to collect for console. In terms of nintendo cardboard N64 boxes are some of the worst to get stuff for in excellent shape. cause it is so hard to get good deals for it and it's nintendo cardboard that is hard to get in nice shape. in those rare cases when you score a good deal, it does feel really good comparable to some of the upper tier consoles. ye just won't have those moments that often even if deals where easier to get, cause the console simply just doesn't have allot of cool/interesting games.

Nes:

If I where in the states Nes could have gotten as high as S tier but in europe the nes supply is quite bad. During those times it was more of an amiga/spectrum party over here. Nes also has the worst kind of cardboard boxes they are very fragile/soft hence why it's allot harder to find good condition stuff if you'd ask me. we also are lacking allot of games in europe compared to the states so the library is quite a bit smaller over here. also generally you see allot of the same stuff when nes pops up it not that exciting. I'm  lucky that I got the games that I do for this system but it's one the least fun to collect nintendo system for my taste. Very hard to collect/competitive boxes are terrible, library is somewhat limited. only strong point for Nes is the Chase if you do score a good deal cause it's so hard/rare to score good condition stuff

Xbox:

From what I recall I was pretty much done collecting for said console in just a few months. I got most my stuff for it when I started. I guess you could say that the chase was a bit to ez. In terms of stuff what you can get from xbox there rarely is a moment in which I'm that glad to add stuff to the collection it just doesn't do much for me. The supply is actually lowkey bad for og xbox you can definitely notice that it hasn't sold to well. it has lesser supply than quite some of the actual retro consoles for my taste. There is not that much to say, But I can definitely see why allot of people skip on xbox. if your looking at the overall supply what pops up. allot of stuff tends to be samey your outdated triple A stuff or shovelware.

Game gear:

The bottom of the barrel tier in terms of collecting. very weak library, allot of the stuff that pops up being samey thanks to said small library. it's saving grace is that it's a handheld so eventhough the supply is not that great the competition isn't that high either. so it's not the hardest console to collect for in cib shape as the silver lining.

3DS

The library just doesn't really speak to me. it's a massively downgraded ds in almost every way. Even allot of the 1st party spinoffs are pretty weak generic. definitely feeling that wii u quality with this one  :P Almost have no satisfaction when I get stuff for this console.

xbox 360:

Nothing against said system it's just that I just want very specific games. it's mostly the shootemups that I'm after. in terms of collecting it's not that fun as a result, occasionally I get some stuff for the console but it's more like a side thing.

Trash tier Philips CDI:

I'm only collecting for this console for them memes, the games are trash, the items don't look to hot it's just funny to collect such shitty games for a console that was made in my country. it do be pretty funny to play some of them boot leg esk mario zelda games. even the best stuff on this console is your shovelware elsewhere. collecting wise it is pretty cheap it's not that challenging so at the very least it ain't breaking the bank. While it is a cheap console to collect for, you should think twice before getting some.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:17:31 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Re: how would you rank your collecting experience per console
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 01:26:15 am »
S TIER
XBOX: This was by far the cheapest, easiest, and one of the most fun consoles to collect for. I don't think I ever spent more than $10 on any XBOX game, even really rare, expensive games like JP Operation Genesis. It was also the first console I stopped collecting for because I felt like I had every game I wanted for it.

PS2: Another 6th gen console. This was another extremely fun, cheap console to collect for when I was actively picking games up for it. The peak of my PS2 collecting phase coincided with everyone not caring about the PS2 thanks to the PS3 being towards the end of its life, and the PS4 being around the corner. In other words, the games were everywhere and generally cheap as hell. I did have to pay full price for a few of the games for it, but 90% of my PS2 library was obtained for $10 or less. The PS2 was also the console I had the most games for at one point, somewhere near 350 if memory serves me right.

Gamecube: Like the XBOX and PS2, this was also an insanely easy, cheap, and fun console to collect for. I'm not a huge Gamecube guy, but when I was out looking for retro games at flea markets and thrift stores, these games were everywhere. I'd find rare game after rare game for a few dollars each, and at one point had a GC collection that would have made modern GC collectors eyes explode. I even found Gotcha Force for like $10 at the flea market. There were a handful of GC games I paid full price for, but in general this was a console that was in plentiful supply between 2008 and 2014 or so when I obtained 95% of my GC collection.

N64: Despite collecting for the N64 nearly a decade after Nintendo pulled the plug on it, I never had much trouble collecting N64 games back in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Similar situation to the PS2 and XBOX; the games were everywhere and generally very cheap. I did run into some trouble with a few games I wanted towards the later part of the 2010s, but overall this was a very fun, easy console to collect for when I was actively pursing a big chunk of its library. It also being my favorite Nintendo console also helped.

A TIER

PS1: I probably obtained 80% or so of my PS1 library on the cheap, including a lot of super expensive and rare games. The PS1 also has an incredibly interesting library of games with hundreds of games that had my interest when I was actively looking for games on it. The only reason the PS1 isn't S TIER is because I had a hell of a time finding certain games for a good price, and several games I just couldn't find at all. I also paid full price for a decent chunk of the PS1 games I'd eventually own. Otherwise though, it was one of my favorite consoles to collect for, and also to game on.

Dreamcast: Being my favorite console of all time, you'd think this would be S-TEIR, but unfortunately due to how hard it is to find Dreamcast games, not even including the rare ones, it took me a very long time to get all the games I really wanted on it. I'd say roughly half the games I've owned on the Dreamcast were found very cheaply at garage sales, flea markets, and second hand stores, but nearly just as many I paid full price for online or at game stores. Still, I cherish the games on it, and never felt guilty for picking any of the games up at whatever price I found them at.

DS: This was another instance of the games being plentiful and cheap. I found nearly all of my DS games for way under their respective prices at the time I found them. The only thing that keeps this one from being S Tier is I'm not a huge handheld fan (although the DS is my favorite handheld console of all time) and because some of the games I bought from places like Gamestop brand new when they came out, which does take a little bit of the fun away.

B TIER

SNES: I found a decent chunk of my SNES games for pretty cheap, however I had a much harder time finding a lot of the games I wanted for a decent price since the NES and SNES were the two retro consoles to get hit the hardest by collectors (and resellers) early on when I began collecting. Still, I got some insane deals on various games over the years. If not for the difficulty of finding many of the games I really wanted on the console and also if I was a slightly bigger fan of the console, this one may have ranked a higher.

Genesis: Similar story to the SNES, however I admittedly had better luck finding cheap Genesis games than I did the SNES. Despite being a Sega kid in the 90s, I for some reason didn't enjoy collecting Genesis games as much I felt I should. No matter though, I still had a blast with it for the most part, and found some crazy deals on some of the Genesis' most sought after games.

Saturn: If I was less of a Saturn fan, my experience with collecting for it would have been C Tier tops, maybe even D Tier. Aside from a few surprise scores, Saturn games have always hit my wallet and patience hard. I also have spent a lot of time and money collecting various Saturn imports that we never got in the US (Or just cheaper import alternatives). But with the Saturn being one of my favorite consoles and also one of my most nostalgic consoles, nearly every time I added Saturn games to my collecting I'd be overjoyed. I just wish my experience with getting the games had been a bit easier...and cheaper.

Wii: My Wii collecting coincided with the Wii's twilight years, and while the games were for the most part not bargain bin priced, they were everywhere and the occasional deal could be found. While I loved the Wii when it first came out, collecting for it made me appreciate it even more, making my journey to find the games on my want list for it that much more fun. The only thing that holds my experience with collecting for the Wii back is that most of the games I bought were found at Gamestop and various video games stores I visited over the years.

PS3: Similar situation to the Wii. I bought the bulk of my PS3 games on sale or semi on the cheap when the console was still Sony's current gen platform. I also paid full price for a decent amount of PS3 games when they were first released. Still, I am a big PS3 fan, and was even more so back in the early 2010s. By the time PS3 games started becoming less desirable and probably significantly cheaper, I had already acquired 95% of all the PS3 games I'd ever wanted.

C TIER

PS4: I've essentially bought all my PS4 games as new releases since the console came out in 2013, or through various B2G1 or B2G2 sales at Gamestop and other game stores. I love the PS4, actually more than the PS3 now, however my collecting experience has more or less been fairly uninteresting compared to when I was scooping up PS2 or XBOX games for a few bucks each all over the place. There's also the big question mark about the longevity of these games and people's ability to continue to play them after their respective servers get shut down someday.

WiiU: Same situation as the PS4. I bought 95% of my Wii U games when Nintendo was still supporting it, before they released the Switch. I was a heavy supporter of Nintendo's ill fated console, however the lack of games and the consoles short life definitely dampened my experience of collecting for it. And again, just walking into a Gamestop and buying a WiiU game off the shelf lacks the thrill of finding some rare old game at a flea market or thrift store.

3DS: I'm going to sound like a broken record, but this was the same situation as the previous two C Tier consoles. Nearly all my 3DS games were purchased while the handheld was still being supported by new, big releases, and many of those games were purchased at various retail stores both new and used. And while I do have a massive soft spot for the 3DS and have enjoyed some excellent games on it, my lack of enthusiasm for handheld systems in general made this a less enjoyable console for me to collect for.

GBA: I've been very fortunate to have found so many GBA games I have for so cheap, but again, me not being a big handheld guy made collecting for it somewhat lackluster despite scoring some incredible deals on some of its rarer and best games over the years. I still have a ton of GBA games in large storage cases that I go through from time to time, but over the years I have not been able to bring myself to part with many of them.

PSP: Apply everything I said about the GBA to this handheld too with the exception being that my PSP collection is about a fourth the size of what it once was at its peak. I picked up the overwhelming majority of my PSP games for under $10.

Switch: I've continually bought Switch games since it came out in 2017, but nearly every game I have for it has been from retail, mostly new. I love the Switch and some of the best games I've ever played are on it, but from a collecting standpoint, there's been nothing interesting or exciting about it for me.

D Tier

NES: I found out very early as a collector that I was far less into the NES that I originally thought I was. That didn't stop me from acquiring a fairly large collection of many of its must have games, with a few rarities thrown in here and there. In fact, I think my NES collection nearly hit 100 games at one point. Yet, despite finding some pretty sought after games for just a few bucks in the wild, I never got too excited about adding new NES games outside a handful of titles. It was one of the first consoles I ever did a massive downsizing with, and to this day I still don't regret parting with any of the NES games I once had. Collecting for it when everyone was feverishly collecting for classic Nintendo back in 2010 and 2011 didn't help matters either, although I still did pretty good if I say so myself.

360: There was a time where the 360 was my goto console over the PS3, however, the PS3 would eventually win me over way more, leaving my pursuit of 360 games limited only to console exclusives that interested me. I was able to find most of these easily and cheaply enough, but the 360 just never really did it for me like the original XBOX, and in many ways its the last Microsoft console that actually appealed to me at all. Overall though, it was a fairly boring and uneventful experience of collecting for it, and I've acquired every game I've ever wanted for it years ago.

Gameboy/GBC: For however much I'm not a big handheld collector, I'm especially not a big Gameboy guy. Gameboy to me is essentially Pokemon, Tetris, Mario, Zelda, and very, very few other games. I found almost all these for dirt cheap a long, long time ago, and aside from a few exciting moments and scores, it's just not a platform I'm that into.

Neo Geo Pocket: I only include this in D Tier because the collection I had of about a dozen loose games for this handheld were found at the same time, all for extremely cheap. The score was very exciting to me at the time, but outside this I never found any of the games for the system, and worse than that, I never ever owned an actual NGPC handheld to play them on. By the time most of the system's best games were ported to the Switch, I decided to part with the original games and have never looked back.

Sega CD: I really wanted to get into Sega CD collecting, and at one point I think I had maybe 10 games or so on it. But with no hyperbole, I'd say all but maybe a few games I had for it were absolute garbage or at least mediocre. What made matters worse is the supposedly better games on it were insanely expensive and even the ones that weren't were nowhere to be found most of the time. I gave up on Sega CD collecting a long time ago, and have never looked back.

PS5: I struggle to even call myself a PS5 collector since I know full well its physical games are more or less glorified CD keys. I don't think there is any future in collecting for the PS5 since I know these games will have no longevity in a decade or so from now when Sony pulls the plug on its servers. Nearly every PS5 game I've played requires at least half the game be downloaded, if not way, way more than that. And I've never been able to have more than a dozen or so games downloaded onto my PS5 at a time given how much space they take up and also there being no way to update the HDD in them. If not for the games being petty fun, this would be a straight up F Tier console in terms of collecting for me.

F TIER

XBONE: I own a few XBONE exclusives despite not actually owning an XBONE console. Sometimes I wonder why I even have the games I do. I will pick up an XBONE, but only when one can be had for $50 or less. That's literally my top dollar on the system. There a maybe a few more games I want to own for the XBONE, but in all, I doubt I'll ever break 12 games on it.

TG16/PCE: I really like the PCE, however outside a handful of games, I've never been able to find anything for it, much less the console itself. Sure, various retro game stores I've been to over the years have had them, but they've always been way overpriced, and if I'm being completely honest, I don't actually know much about the system in general. I recently opted to get a PCE console along with a Super SD Pro to play the games on given how insanely hard and expensive it is to find the better games for this console.

Neo Geo AES: I have never been able to justify AES collecting despite being a massive SNK fan. Paying $300 for a game like Metal Slug or King of Fighters has always been too big a pill to swallow for me, especially with so many modern alternatives. Still, I have a Japanese AES and a few games for it. Someday I plan on getting a Neo SD for it just so I can play the entire library of games on the original hardware, but until then I'm happy with the various ports of the AES's best games or even emulation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 01:48:50 am by bikingjahuty »

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 01:39:04 am »

I have to base mine on the collecting experience as per the title of the thread, and not a commentary on my views of the library itself. What I think of the system or library, really is a separate tier list all together.

S Tier - During the 7th gen, the games were so damn abundant and cheap, you could literally find them for sale in a drug store. Everybody was selling the games then, and you could get them used for really cheap, sometimes brand new on clearance prices cheaper than used. It was a buyer's market.

A Tier - These were your common video game pickups, often times could get good deals on them, nothing too hard to find at the time. Retro platforms in this tier were prime in my area for the picking and were not valuated high in the least when I first started. A $2 SNES game was not uncommon. I once picked up a SNES console with DKC 2 & 3 included for a whopping $5.

B Tier - These were the consoles that seemed like they should have been easy to collect for, especially in the early days, but they were a little bit tricky to find or if you did find them, the selection was always the same stuff again and again nothing you were specifically looking out for. Occasionally I'd catch a break and find some better sources for these, but not often. Prices weren't terrible, but finding them was the tricky part.

C Tier - These were pretty hard to collect for, but not impossible. I feel like I mostly got lucky when I did come away with any scores on these, some of the stuff you stand very little chance to find. When you'd find a source with lots of other inventory, they'd rarely have anything notable for these. Had to be persistent in poking around or traveling to find stuff, and just go online half the time because you couldn't find it.

D Tier - Basically impossible to find locally, or anywhere within reasonable distance. For the most part, had to go online or to gaming expos to find people selling this stuff, and then pay through the roof to get it. Collecting for these has been a long and painful process. In fact, I gave up some time ago on collecting Game Gear or Master System. Literally everything would have to come from eBay in addition to everything else I'm always hunting for, it just becomes too excessive. For the other consoles in this tier, I tended to get maybe 2 to 5 games for each per year? It was tough.

I do own a few other platform, but I don't consider myself a collector of those, so not shown on the tier list.

telekill

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 08:44:00 am »
Interesting thread. I won't be going into too much detail or making a graph, but here's a quick breakdown:

S Tier: Focused collecting for specific platform.
 - Game Gear (Regular Dark Grey with mods)
 - PS1 (OG)

A Tier: Consolidated previous systems purposefully onto one platform.
 - PS4 / PSVR (Launch)

B Tier: Collected a lot during its lifespan and some after.
 - PS2 (OG, Slim)

C Tier: Collected marginally and still have the system.
 - Switch (Launch Grey)
 - Genesis (Model 2)
 - Vita (Launch 3G)
 - PS5 (Launch)

D Tier: Collected marginally during my ownership of the console but no longer have it.
 - NES
 - SNES
 - Virtual Boy
 - Gamecube
 - Wii
 - GBC
 - GBA / GBA SP
 - Sega CD (Model 2)
 - Sega 32X
 - Saturn
 - Dreamcast (Launch)
 - Xbox (OG)
 - PS3 (20GB Launch, 60GB, Slim 120GB)
 - PSP (Launch)
 - Goldstar 3DO
 - Jaguar
 - Game.com

My more fun system to collect were obviously Game Gear and PS1, but Game Gear takes the top spot. I've had it since 1992 and took it everywhere with me. When it broke after the turn of the century due to the faulty capacitors, I even had it fixed up. Looks and plays like new now. As for the games, I wasn't too worried about them being in perfect complete condition. I just wanted a copy of the games that looked interesting to me so that I could play them. Collecting for it became insanely expensive about ten years ago making me consider and eventually get the EverDrive X7 for it so I have a full collection to play, even if it's not a true collection.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:51:56 am »

PS5: I struggle to even call myself a PS5 collector since I know full well its physical games are more or less glorified CD keys. I don't think there is any future in collecting for the PS5 since I know these games will have no longevity in a decade or so from now when Sony pulls the plug on its servers. Nearly every PS5 game I've played requires at least half the game be downloaded, if not way, way more than that. And I've never been able to have more than a dozen or so games downloaded onto my PS5 at a time given how much space they take up and also there being no way to update the HDD in them. If not for the games being petty fun, this would be a straight up F Tier console in terms of collecting for me.

I often hear this argument being tossed around. My question to those who espouse this - couldn't the same logic be applied also to PS4 and even PS3 games, since there are quite some games even from that time period that saw updates and patches not included on the game disc? When Sony shuts down the server for those legacy platforms, and you can't get the patches directly from them, is there no point in collecting those either? I think the downloads included with many disc games are just a prioritized method of getting the latest version, when you have an Internet connection. Not that there isn't any version on the disc.

I acknowledge that it can be worse now when developers release a beta on disc and then patch it day one, but that's usually the exception and not the rule. It mostly applies to rushed triple A games, which is far from being every PS5 physical release. Sometimes there are definitive edition physical releases, if the game is a big enough success, but there's also a lot of smaller release and indie titles which are complete on the disc. I think too much is made of the issue. SomeOrdinaryGamers once did a video demonstrating that yes, you can in fact install and play games like Demon Souls remake and others without any Internet connection at all to his PS5. So there certainly is something on the disc with the physical games, more so than the hearsay is leading people to believe. Sometimes EA or Ubisoft will pull some crap in pursuit of their bottom lines, and screw the consumer of a complete or accessible product. But it's not a reason to write of PS5 collecting enitrely, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:53:36 am by Warmsignal »

alligo

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:18:03 pm »
It's not really for the collection aspect but more out of experience and appreciation of the console / hardware.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 02:32:23 pm »
I've never really considered myself a collector of Switch games, since they're still being made. But man, somehow I've gotten over 100 games for it. It has such an unbelievably good variety of games. It's gotta be Nintendo's best system since the SNES.

About 20 years ago, I got really into Neo Geo AES collecting. Since I never had a Neo growing up, it was like making my own childhood fantasies come true. At $80-$350 a pop, they weren't cheap, so each one was like getting a new treasure. In 2011 or so, the prices started really rising, and I sold them to help pay for my wedding... I kinda wish I didn't sell, I could never get them back now!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 05:30:40 pm »

I often hear this argument being tossed around. My question to those who espouse this - couldn't the same logic be applied also to PS4 and even PS3 games, since there are quite some games even from that time period that saw updates and patches not included on the game disc? When Sony shuts down the server for those legacy platforms, and you can't get the patches directly from them, is there no point in collecting those either? I think the downloads included with many disc games are just a prioritized method of getting the latest version, when you have an Internet connection. Not that there isn't any version on the disc.

I acknowledge that it can be worse now when developers release a beta on disc and then patch it day one, but that's usually the exception and not the rule. It mostly applies to rushed triple A games, which is far from being every PS5 physical release. Sometimes there are definitive edition physical releases, if the game is a big enough success, but there's also a lot of smaller release and indie titles which are complete on the disc. I think too much is made of the issue. SomeOrdinaryGamers once did a video demonstrating that yes, you can in fact install and play games like Demon Souls remake and others without any Internet connection at all to his PS5. So there certainly is something on the disc with the physical games, more so than the hearsay is leading people to believe. Sometimes EA or Ubisoft will pull some crap in pursuit of their bottom lines, and screw the consumer of a complete or accessible product. But it's not a reason to write of PS5 collecting enitrely, IMO.

You are absolutely right, it does apply to the PS4 and PS3. The key differences is I can update the HDD to accommodate most, if not all my games plus all the patches and content. I did exactly this when Sony was threatening to shut down the PS3's servers a couple years ago or so. Given, this will not be as easy with the PS4 since the download sizes are much larger, but with a few PS4's and cloning the HDDs, I can have some reassurance that I can preserve those games. The PS5 on the other hand has everything tied to the specific console. In other words, you can't repair, replace, or upgrade any of the internal hardware on your own. Only Sony can. Maybe someday, someone will find a way around this, but I found this out the hard way when my PS5's disc drive crapped our after just one year. Luckily Sony did a good faith out of warranty repair on it for free, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth that I'd either have to own a dozen or more PS5's to fit all the game data for a moderately sized collection, or accept the fact that the games will be useless in another decade or so.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 06:14:59 pm »

You are absolutely right, it does apply to the PS4 and PS3. The key differences is I can update the HDD to accommodate most, if not all my games plus all the patches and content. I did exactly this when Sony was threatening to shut down the PS3's servers a couple years ago or so. Given, this will not be as easy with the PS4 since the download sizes are much larger, but with a few PS4's and cloning the HDDs, I can have some reassurance that I can preserve those games. The PS5 on the other hand has everything tied to the specific console. In other words, you can't repair, replace, or upgrade any of the internal hardware on your own. Only Sony can. Maybe someday, someone will find a way around this, but I found this out the hard way when my PS5's disc drive crapped our after just one year. Luckily Sony did a good faith out of warranty repair on it for free, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth that I'd either have to own a dozen or more PS5's to fit all the game data for a moderately sized collection, or accept the fact that the games will be useless in another decade or so.

Interesting. So when you store a PS5 game on a external, those games are only accessible from the specific console they were first installed on, and not verifiable through your actual PlayStation account? That's odd. They had to consider that people might not have the same console over time. I have to assume you can access the games that were digitally downloaded, but why not the ones you installed while on your account, and then stored?

telekill

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:37:13 pm »

Wait a sec. I've actually updated the SSD in my PS5, adding 1TB of storage to the system. I think it supports up to 4TB or more now after firmware updates. So you can upgrade the amount of internal space. Then you can also use external HDDs to hold install data for your games. You can transfer those files from the HDD to the internal SSD for use when you want to play them again, and then transfer the install data back to the HDD for long term storage when you want to free up space to play something else. While not convienent, it's surely do-able if you're wanting to play games on the PS5 20 years from now.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 06:54:10 pm »

Well, for the PS3 the patches were usually pretty minimal. While there may be a couple games that rely on the patch to be fully functional (Usually DLC), Nearly everything is playable on the ps3 without any patches downloaded. Back then, the game was expected to be released completely functional and ready to go.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 06:57:31 pm »

Wait a sec. I've actually updated the SSD in my PS5, adding 1TB of storage to the system. I think it supports up to 4TB or more now after firmware updates. So you can upgrade the amount of internal space. Then you can also use external HDDs to hold install data for your games. You can transfer those files from the HDD to the internal SSD for use when you want to play them again, and then transfer the install data back to the HDD for long term storage when you want to free up space to play something else. While not convienent, it's surely do-able if you're wanting to play games on the PS5 20 years from now.

So, say your PS5 blows up into a fire ball. You have to go get another one, can you then move your stored games back to your new PS5's internal SSD?

telekill

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 07:45:36 pm »

So, say your PS5 blows up into a fire ball. You have to go get another one, can you then move your stored games back to your new PS5's internal SSD?

Ah, you're going with worst case scenario. Well, there's a possibility that the expanded storage survived the blast. That can be removed and put into another PS5. Or, I believe you can make backup installs on external HDDs. There are ways around the catastrophe. But yeah... I get what you're saying. In a worst case scenario, it's a good possibility you're hosed if you weren't prepared for it.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 08:51:03 pm »

Interesting. So when you store a PS5 game on a external, those games are only accessible from the specific console they were first installed on, and not verifiable through your actual PlayStation account? That's odd. They had to consider that people might not have the same console over time. I have to assume you can access the games that were digitally downloaded, but why not the ones you installed while on your account, and then stored?

I don't know about external HDDs, but the internal cannot be replaced or upgraded by anyone, but Sony. If you can play a game from an external HDD than I suppose that offers a relatively practical solution to this problem, but I've always just opted to update the internal one so I didn't have to mess around with external drives. I also don't know about the account thing, but I imagine if Sony shut down their servers, whatever wasn't already on the console when that happened couldn't get put on there at a later date. It would require they make that data available still, which they likely wouldn't once they've ended support. Who knows, but the situation with the PS5 more or less kills the prospect of collecting for it for me.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 05:58:15 am »
My main interest was always in PC gaming. Gaming consoles just weren't a thing when I was a kid. There were some knockoff SNES clones going around, but not much. In high school I had a friend with a PS2, but I've only played it once. So not much nostalgia fueled motivation to collect anything from before the X360 which was my first console I bought when GTA4 came out.

So yes in the Tier 1 there is the Xbox 360.
Easy to get into, still fairly cheap with a lot of brand new aftermarket accessories, but game prices started creeping up the past year. Also the online store is about to shut down in a couple of months which will most likely also increase physical game prices.

Tier 2 is PS3
I got it 2-3 years after the PS4 released. Accessibility and prices are similar to the X360. I mostly collect exclusives and distinctly Japanese style games for this one.

Tier 3 I have some interest in to actually get into and/or almost got into already. That is the PSP, PS2 and PS Vita.
The deciding factor is the availability of physical games I'm interested in.

Tier 4 are platforms I had a fleeting interest in and have a low chance of getting into them
PS1, PS4+, Xbox Classic, Xbox One+
There are some games I'm interested in, but for the retro consoles, it's much easier and more accessible to emulate while the new ones are far to internet dependent for my taste.

Tier 5 are platforms I have absolutely no interest in and wouldn't pick up even for free except maybe to sell them.
Everything I didn't mention before, but especially Nintendo. They either don't appeal to me on a fundamental level, other platforms do better what they do or availability is so low I don't feel like worth the effort.