Author Topic: Xbox going third party  (Read 1171 times)

Re: Xbox going third party
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 03:11:49 pm »
So it's just four games and not Starfield or Indiana Jones which explains the leakers started to walk stuff back. Seems like they were all probably on the table at some point otherwise they could've said a week ago that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren't coming.

Phil won't confirm the four games but seems like it's Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Pentiment and something else.

Reading this: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02/15/xbox-promise-bring-more-games-to-more-players/

they say live service games plural, Sea of Thieves is live service and so is.. Halo Infinite? Are there other live service Xbox games? Grounded?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:16:07 pm by weirdfeline »

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 03:37:31 pm »
So it's just four games and not Starfield or Indiana Jones which explains the leakers started to walk stuff back. Seems like they were all probably on the table at some point otherwise they could've said a week ago that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren't coming.

Phil won't confirm the four games but seems like it's Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Pentiment and something else.

Reading this: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02/15/xbox-promise-bring-more-games-to-more-players/

they say live service games plural, Sea of Thieves is live service and so is.. Halo Infinite? Are there other live service Xbox games? Grounded?

Reading that, it sounds like they are doing the Playstation method of putting games on other platforms at least a year after release, so while Starfield and Indiana Jones might not show up right away, they could absolutely have the chance of showing up next year, maybe later.  Grounded isn't a live service game, but that would likely be a smart thing to bring to Playstation, but yeah, I think Halo Infinite is kinda their only other notable live service game that I can think of off the top of my head.  It's also depends on what they considered "live service" as that might not mean it has a Battle Pass and such, but just gets regular content updates too, so who knows.

Keeping it smaller and delayed like this with the games makes sense, they still want to sell Xbox consoles for now, so putting all of it right away wouldn't be smart, but it still seems very likely.  It's not like the Series X is selling super well for them.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 03:47:32 pm »
Worth mentioning there are several other recent Xbox games already released on other platforms including Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch, Psychonauts 2 on PS4, As Dusk Falls releasing on PlayStation in March, weird GoldenEye 007 remaster thing on Switch, Minecraft Legends on Switch and PlayStation, Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop both on PS5.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 06:47:04 pm »
Another article is saying Grounded is the 4th one, which makes a lot of sense.  Also I seemed to have completely skipped over the talk that they are going to continue being hardware makers, so we'll see at least another generation of Xbox.  That to me feels like they'll be much more picky about what they bring to other systems, so probably no Gears, Forza, Halo, that sort of stuff.  Up in the air for other big and new titles.

All that matters right this second is Rare Replay though, put it on Switch, PS5, or PC you cowards! lol
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:00:12 pm by kamikazekeeg »

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2024, 08:54:52 am »
My issue with this is we need exclusivity. So many younger gamers are saying "End the console wars!" No! Don't! Competition breeds innovation. Without these exclusives, there's no reason to push their platform forward more. If Xbox put all of its exclusives on other systems there would be no reason to be loyal to the brand or for it to exist unless it went 100% software-based like Sega did. Microsoft keeps making these same mistakes and losing all of its exclusives from third parties or themselves. They either cancel them or let them go to other platforms. Microsoft hasn't had a good new IP since the mid-2000s.

telekill

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2024, 11:51:10 am »
I have no interest in the four rumored titles.

I'd buy Indiana Jones, Gears of War, Killer Instinct, and Recore (looked interesting). I might be convinced to buy Halo but I would have to have a buddy buy it to play co-op with.

Anything else is a polite pass.

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 12:14:41 pm »
Worth mentioning there are several other recent Xbox games already released on other platforms including Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch, Psychonauts 2 on PS4, As Dusk Falls releasing on PlayStation in March, weird GoldenEye 007 remaster thing on Switch, Minecraft Legends on Switch and PlayStation, Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop both on PS5.

+1

You know, I was here as a guest a week or so ago after you posted this topic and intended to log in to reply to it and a few other posts, but got sidetracked, ultimately getting swamped with other stuff. Then two weeks passed by like a New York minute, and here we are with the entirety of this "situation" having been nothing more than doom and gloom prophesied by a coterie of rabid fanboys overindulging their salty diets.

Regardless, I guess I'll still post what I wrote down for the sake of posterity; it's just an opinion anyway.

Quote from: pzeke
So, in other words, Phil Spencer is "throwing the towel". Didn't he fibsay sometime ago that Microsoft might be "leaving" the gaming business? Didn't Nute—I mean, didn't Natella also say something similar to that extent while also disavowing exclusives? Let's not forget about the recent layoffs, either. They lost, or that's what they told the FTC to get away with their purchase of Activision Blizzard (or, as some might interpret that, they're "evolving"); they're not competing anymore, or at least not in the same way (i.e., "Xbox on every screen"). Gaming, or the consoles, rather, have never been the company's main focus, as it has never been profitable enough in their eyes, to the point where they in fact stopped disclosing sales numbers since it's more of a service model to them now (i.e., "Netflix of gaming"). In short, hasn't this been a long time coming? I think somehow becoming a third-party publisher seems like the best next step for them; it really doesn't sound that far-fetched, all things considered. More bank for them, which has always been their end goal anyway.

While writing this, I'm somehow reminded of something Steve Jobs once said to the effect of Microsoft only destroying and not innovating, or some such. Maybe I'm misremembering. My point is that Miscrosoft is a filthy monopolist, and perhaps it's about time they get some form of comeuppance, however small it may be. Then again, they can take whatever loss comes their way.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 08:33:22 pm »
Pentiment launches on PS5 at half the install size and double the frame rate. Developer says it's a bug and the Series X version will be fixed.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/02/xbox-first-party-title-pentiment-seems-to-run-much-better-on-playstation-5

pzeke

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2024, 03:07:50 am »
Pentiment launches on PS5 at half the install size and double the frame rate. Developer says it's a bug and the Series X version will be fixed.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/02/xbox-first-party-title-pentiment-seems-to-run-much-better-on-playstation-5

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!