Author Topic: Anniversary present from my wife UPDATED with more pictures!  (Read 2110 times)

jcalder8

My wife bought these 3 today for me today for our upcoming anniversary:

This was thrown in to sweeten the deal for $25:

She really wanted the Nintendo one but I'll be the one filling it:

And seeing how the 360 is my favorite system she really wanted to get this one for me:

Came out to 125 for each unit and they are by far the nicest ones that we have found. Zellers in Canada is closing to become Target's or Wal-marts so they are getting rid of all their fixtures. The asking price started out at $500 for each and they just marked them down to $250 but when we offered $200 for the pair they quickly offered $250 for the pair, then we agreed to $25 extra for the last one.

Yeah, I know my wife is the best :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:43:34 am by jcalder8 »

matt

Re: Anniversary present from my wife
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »
Yeah, I know my wife is the best :D

Dang. Congrats on the cool wifey and anniversary. Sounds like a keeper.

soera

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
I wish I had room for something like that! :) I really like the $25 one actually ... would be a really neat middle of the room display.

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
Have you picked them up yet? When we got ours, we ended up not taking all the shelving and beat up junk. We basically paid $100 for the beautifully etched glass doors with the Nintendo and PlayStation logos. They have a lock on the front and we have the key for them.

My dad does woodworking, and he's about to retire, so he's going to be making us a nice big cabinet with custom shelves and we'll use those doors.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »
Have you picked them up yet? When we got ours, we ended up not taking all the shelving and beat up junk. We basically paid $100 for the beautifully etched glass doors with the Nintendo and PlayStation logos. They have a lock on the front and we have the key for them.

My dad does woodworking, and he's about to retire, so he's going to be making us a nice big cabinet with custom shelves and we'll use those doors.
They don't have backs on them?

amauriel

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »
The ones we got did not have backs. They were attached directly to the gondola (the thing that the shelves beside them are also attached to) and we did not buy the gondola with ours. The sides were really faded blue plastic and would have had a special type of drill to get them apart (the woodworking dad went with us to disassemble and load) so we left all of that there.

Ours were much, much older though (the guy working there said he thought they went in with the Playstation 1 and the Nintendo 64, and the logos we have on the glass match what was used at that time) so I'm guessing they are made differently. They also would have sold us the gondolas as well, but that added an extra 8-12 inches to the size of the cabinet and it would no longer make it through a standard doorway at that point.

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:05 am »
Some pictures now that we got them home!!!!!

We peeled the Gamecube sign off and found a little neat display under it:
Before:

After:

And a close up:

We need to try and unroll the Gamecube sign to try and salvage it.

Now as for my Xbox one it is currently in the yard waiting to have 6 inches cut off the bottom so we can actually get it in the house.

And in her travels my wife sweet talked her way into getting these beauties:

amauriel

Re: Anniversary present from my wife UPDATED with more pictures!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:16:56 am »
Wow, looks like you scored with the Nintendo one! Also looks like they were both made differently than the ones we ended up with, although the Xbox one looks more like ours.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:52:43 am »
That Nintendo display rack looks pre snes.

matt

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:22 am »
Wow. Definitely pre-SNES. You just uncovered a part of history. Congrats again!

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »
Wow. Definitely pre-SNES. You just uncovered a part of history. Congrats again!
Thanks, my wife will be thrilled when she hears it. I thought that World of Nintendo was older but it would make sense that this generic one would be older.

matt

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
It looks exactly like some of the units shown here:

This image is from a 1989 World of Nintendo display catalog. Here is an older auction for one with more photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-Of-Nintendo-1989-Store-Sign-Display-Catalog-Rare-Original-Vintage-/130701292430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e67738e#ht_15014wt_1602

scott

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:39:40 am »
Oh man, those pictures are awesome.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »
Finally got my Xbox unit in but of course it was still too big to make it down the stairs so thanks to a suggestion from my wife it is now sitting in our living room:

I managed to get all my LE and SE editions in it so now I'm just trying to figure out what else to shove in there.

forte

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »
Damn you freeloading Canadians and your Zellers. Awesome pickups man