Author Topic: Motorola seeks to ban further Xbox 360 Slim sales in the U.S.  (Read 1349 times)

ffxik

It seems that Microsoft has infringed on 4 out of 5 patents Motorola holds. 

Read it here.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/170822/Motorola_lawsuit_judge_recommends_Xbox_360_S_sales_ban_in_US.p%20hp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:05:57 am by ffxik »

jcalder8

Re: Motorola seeks to ban further Xbox 360 Slim sales in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:22 am »
 I thought MS would have learned their lesson after what happened with the rumble feature. I would imagine that MS will settle out of court when all is said and done.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:12:49 am »
At this point I think it's possible that Motorola won't want to settle out of court. I'm guessing MS won't end up being unable to sell 360s in the US, but only if they end up paying royalties for each slim console sold ever and from now on. Just with the info we have, it seems, at least to me, that's pretty much the only ways to go.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:24:36 am »
Also, since Google bought/owns Motorola Mobile, it's not like strapped for funds & looking for a quick, out-of-court settlement.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:48:43 am »
Also, since Google bought/owns Motorola Mobile, it's not like strapped for funds & looking for a quick, out-of-court settlement.
I had forgotten about this. I still think that they will settle out of court but Mortorola will be getting royalties for sales.  Depending on how this turns out I wonder if it will affect when MS releases their next console.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:11:09 am »
I had forgotten about this. I still think that they will settle out of court but Mortorola will be getting royalties for sales.  Depending on how this turns out I wonder if it will affect when MS releases their next console.

I was wondering the same for 2 reasons:

The 1st one would be if any of these "4 patent violations" are also going to be used in the next iteration of the 360...If so, this presents the obvious problems -and- could, in effect, send MicroSoft back to the drawing board/starting over from scratch w/ their new/next console.

The 2nd would be that, if the sales of these 360's are banned - it could influence Microsoft to possibly prematurely release their next console (just so as not to give the whole market to Nintendo and Sony)...and when Microsoft (or any of the companies) release a console too soon...it's bad for all concerned.

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
From what I understand it all started because Microsoft sued Motorola over the Android like software they have been usuing on thier mobile phones.  I guess since Microsoft started this fight Motorola decided to finish it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:19 am »
From what I understand it all started because Microsoft sued Motorola over the Android like software they have been usuing on thier mobile phones.  I guess since Microsoft started this fight Motorola decided to finish it.

That's my understanding of the situation too.