Author Topic: A hot button issue: Emulation  (Read 3866 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: A hot button issue: Emulation
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »
Funny thing about this topic.  I created it, went on vacation, and forgot all about it. 

My 2 cents is worth just that, 2 cents.  Here it is anyway.  I use it all the time.  I have NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis on my computer.  I use my Xbox 360 controller hooked up to my laptop to play them.  I'm a fan.  Is it going to keep me from collecting? No.  Am I robbing anyone  by playing 20-30 year old games?  No. 
The biggest plus for me is convenience.  It is so much easier to fire up my laptop than it is to dig through all my stuff, hook a system up, and play a game.  Plus, my couch is too far away from the tv.  6 ft cords don't reach.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »
Actually, you're mistaken. Emulation isn't just about emulating video game roms. Emulation goes so much further. They make the x360Key or xKey to emulate the xbox 360 drive to load game ISO files from an external hard drive. Hence... emulation. It's still active even in newer consoles. For a while, the PS3 had the same problem using some sort of USB loader but I believe they plugged that hole for now. It's all a game of cat and mouse for pirates. Did youw know that you can even Emulate satellite television cards to receive free programming? Yes, this still falls under emulation.
Yes those are all emulators by definition, but I don't think that's the type of emulator that OP had in mind when they started this thread. I believe it was geared towards console emulation(running apps/games on hardware they were not designed to run on) which is why I answered as I did.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
Yes those are all emulators by definition, but I don't think that's the type of emulator that OP had in mind when they started this thread. I believe it was geared towards console emulation(running apps/games on hardware they were not designed to run on) which is why I answered as I did.

I understand what you're saying. However, from what I got from your statement - you were saying that emulation doesn't affect newer consoles and your just plain wrong. It does indeed affect all sorts of newer consoles. Even the newer hand held consoles. Let me quote you again to refer to the point I was trying to make.

Emulation is awesome! It isn't really relevant for newer consoles except for the Wii so I don't really understand why people get so up in arms over it.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:11 pm »
*googles xbox 360 emulator for pc* nope nothing... I'm not going to argue semantics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:21 am »
*googles xbox 360 emulator for pc* nope nothing... I'm not going to argue semantics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator

Just because you can't emulate the xbox 360 with a computer application doesn't mean you should dismiss it. The topic is about the legitimacy of using an emulator to play games you do not own. The xkey is just one of MANY devices that allows you to do such a thing. My point still stands. You can emulate the disc drive on an xbox to play ISO files. The same concept of using a PC application to play rom files. There is NO difference besides the type of hardware the emulator runs on.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
Albeit a completely different form of emulation it is still by definition emulation... which is what your point was to begin with.

So you win.