Author Topic: Download Only & Collection Tracking  (Read 756 times)

hexen

Download Only & Collection Tracking
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:10:00 pm »
I am curious if anyone else thinks the same way I do on this one.

I have a few games that I own no physical representation of (Diablo III, Castle Crashers, ect.) and I do not track them as part of my collection. Because they are only information, they feel like non-entities. When I think about tracking them it makes me think that you might as well track any ROMs you may happen to have as well. The ROMS, oddly enough, feel more permanent then then downloaded games.  If your computer gets wiped, you can easily re-download ROMs no problem while some downloaded games may be lost forever if say your memory gets wiped. Most will have some kind of account to keep track of what you've bought luckily, but things like forgetting account info could still make things difficult. There is also the question of what will happen when the next gen comes out... will your downloads be transferred and supported? Also, while highly unlikley, I never trust that downloaded games might not just be wiped by the company you bought them from for some stupid reason, a glitch perhaps, with no way to reclaim them. I still track things like MMO disks because even when the game is gone with no official way to play, you will still have some kind of representation of it's time around with the box and disks.

So basically, do you feel download only games are on the same level as physical copies?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Re: Download Only & Collection Tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »
So basically, do you feel download only games are on the same level as physical copies?

I've never really thought the two are on the same level, no.  However, I still include games I have on Steam, or digital games on my consoles, in my collection.  I'm always one to prefer Physical stuff over digital when it comes to my gaming... but I think a lot of consoles are going to be very digitally focused in the future, so it's something I suppose I'll have to get used to.  Also, it's far more cost and space effective, which is something that's great for me.  As for why I add them to my collection, and those over ROMs... Even though they are data, I still legally own them, and paid for them.  Technically, you cannot legally own a ROM of a game without owning the game... and why would you track a ROM if you already own the physical game?  The only difference between the two is simply the actual right to own them.

While I'm a little worried about how digital games are going to work out on future consoles, I'm not too worried about its status on computers, though.  Steam does a very fine job or tracking purchases and your account information, and with the huge following/users they have, I don't think they'll close shop anytime soon.  Of course, that day is bound to happen at one point, but that's something I'll worry about when that time comes.
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

scott

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »
Originally I was against adding downloadable games to the site, but gave in when I realized that there are folks who use some of those services (such as Steam) almost exclusively. For awhile I wasn't tracking my Steam, XBLA, PSN or other legit downloaded games on my Collection. But then I decided it would be nice to be able to look in one location for everything. This way, if someone asks what good games there are on, say XBLA, I can pull up my list and rattle off some names. Since I have something like nearly 70 XBLA games downloaded to my Xbox 360, it makes it hard to remember them all.

Do I feel downloaded games are on par with physical games in terms of collectability? Not as far as collector's value when compared to their retail counterparts. But, if you are looking at some of the download service only games, like Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy, Limbo and others. They have a value to me in themselves. Do I hope I can transfer these titles to next gen equipment? Sure I do. But if not, I keep my old hardware anyway and they'll become a part of my retro gaming for that system. Of course, if the drive fails that would be a mega sad day.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
I track them so that I know what I own and like scott said then I can give recommendations but I don't track them for value like I do other items.

soera

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:39:27 pm »
I have a couple things like that. Some VC games on my Wii, the Marvel Pinball game (with the add-ons) on my PS3 and Everquest/DDO on PC.