Author Topic: Building Collections. Rares first? or easy stuff?  (Read 3349 times)

scott

Building Collections. Rares first? or easy stuff?
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
I've been wondering this for a while now. Which is more worth while when building a collection for a system? Saving up the cash and buying the must have expensive/ rares first or filling in the good games/ more common titles first? For my Game Boy collection, I'm been building it up by checking bargain bins at the game shops. But I'll be working on my Saturn library as well, and some of the games out there are pretty spendy, but fit right into my gaming tastes, like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, etc. I almost feel like to get the most out of the system, I should be slowly going for the must-haves first and then looking for the filler later.

Suggestions?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Re: Building Collections. Rares first? or easy stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:30:19 pm »
Are you looking to eventually have have a complete set?

If the answer is no, then go for the good or more obscure titles.

scott

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:48 pm »
I was hoping to go for the full set.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:05 pm »
Since the value of games is being super inflated and people are holding on to games a lot more nowadays thats a tough call.

prices are more than likley to go up and not down for the rare titles, so the longer you wait the more it may hurt the wallet to pick em up.

scott

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »
Right. Thanks to Digital Press, I made a list last night of the more sought after Saturn titles. I think I may work on that list first and then fill it out as I go. If that calls for saving up some cash to make purchases, that's fine.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »
Just make sure you get Burning Rangers for Saturn... It is awesome!

One of the best beat-em up's eva!

I <3 Saturn!

scott

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »
Same, like I said. Selling it was the worst idea ever. Burning Rangers is on the list! ha

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:03 am »
I tend to split it up.  I buy a lot of cheap games, most of which I haven't played before, especially for the NES.  Since they usually cost about $3.00 I don't care much about getting a crap game.  I have an envelope in my nightstand that I put extra cash in, that goes toward my larger gaming purchases.  I've found that if I do it that way, I don't mind dropping a chunk of money on something that I've been wanting for a while.  
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:16 am »
Selling my Saturn was my worst mistake ever and I had over 200 games. :/

I always buy cheap games in bulk. I think it's easier to grab up a bunch of $1-5 games and it really starts making you feel good about the collection. Over time you can pick up the higher priced items as you need to fill out the collection. But as @pceslayer said, prices have sky rocketed over the past few years so don't pass up a deal if you find it.

scott

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:10 pm »
I think What I'm going to do is try to get some cash saved up and get Panzer Dragoon Saga asap, that way I have the "grail" of the system and don't need to worry about it. But I'm also keeping my eyes open for bulk stuff too and I'll totally be doing some hunting at CCAG for Saturn stuff.

scott

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »
Bought the Panzer Dragoons... slight buyers remorse. But I also can't wait to play them. ha

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:36:30 pm »
I'm avoiding targeting specific games and just getting whatever happens to be easiest at the time.

Sometimes that's finding a nice copy of Disgaea fall into my hands for cheap, or accidently bidding too much on ebay.

scott

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »
Managed to pick up replacement copies of all the games I originally owned. Plus some. Got lucky too and got some sports games for less than a dollar, complete. After that I'm taking a break and eventually I'll start working through the list of rares / spendy titles.

darko

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »
I've had issues with this as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm buying stuff to pad my collection. Most of what I own is good to great, but some is garbage. I don't buy newer gen stuff that I have no interest in. Most of my padding is in my NES collection simply due to the fact that eventually I want to have a complete NES set.

scott

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 01:01:10 pm »
Ya I've steered away from buying bulk lots of Saturn games for the time being, instead I'm going to focus on the must haves/ rares/ games I really want first. After that I'll build up the rest of the more common games.