Author Topic: Consoles you like and dont like  (Read 6631 times)

scott

Re: Consoles you like and dont like
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:55 pm »
I like reading about how some folks "used to hate x company" and such. But I never found myself to be much of a side taker during the Nintendo/Sega years I just liked playing games and both Nintendo and Sega had games that I liked to play. It wasn't until the PS2 that I really became staunchly for or against different consoles/brands. But now a days I'm pretty much back to the "if it plays games, that's cool, I'll check it out eventually" mood.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 02:23:53 am »
One of the best things about the Wii is its options. Virtual Console has a ton of games and since it plays Gamecube games as well, you could almost have the entire Zelda library playable on one system for example. I had an SNES a while back with Zelda and Super Metroid. I went onto my VC and bought Zelda, Metroid, NES Metroid, Kid Icarus, FF Mystic Quest, SMB RPG and Ys CD. I paid around $50 for all of those. I took my SNES and both games and sold them for $65. :)

Depends on the model of the Wii I'm afraid.  Late last year they released a stripped down model that completely removed the backwards compatibility.  Just look for the one that doesn't have the GC controller or mem card ports.  You'll know what one to avoid.

psydswipe

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 06:17:35 am »
I seem to like the Xbox 360 for reasons people don't like it  :P As far as I'm concerned it has the best gamepad (I don't like fighting games though so I have little use for a D-pad). I also find the interface's bright colors welcoming whereas I find the PS3 sterile. Not that it really matters since I spend so little time looking through that stuff, I just load my game when I turn it on. I agree the online community is filled with annoying people but I've been playing a lot of Tribes Ascend on PC lately and there is always an idiot typing away in chat (helps that we can't hear each other talking). Anyways, Xbox 360 is too new to put on my most liked systems of all time.

My best childhood memories are of the Intellivision and Genesis, and therefore the platforms I like the most (I'd put C64 but it doesn't qualify since this is a console thread :D ). I also enjoyed my Sega Master System and combining a converter with the Game Gear I was able to play my favorites on the go. I've no dislike for Nintendo, I just never played their systems much since I had Sega systems and not many friends so never had many opportunities to play NES or SNES. However, I did get a Game Boy and had some fun with it but that screen is awful and I own a lot of weak games for it. That's a problem I have with the Saturn too, I just never got any of the good games. Bought my Saturn late and found it difficult to find good games as many retailers were already dropping it. Someone mentioned Saturn had the best multi-platform games, yet I thought it was the opposite. The PlayStation led the 3D graphics charge and the Saturn was difficult to program 3D on, though it was a great machine for 2D graphics which made it good for all the arcade fighting games. My frustration with the Saturn led me to try the PlayStation, the first non-Sega system I bought with my own money.

Maybe the 32X is the platform I dislike the most. When I got it I couldn't even use it because I needed a RF adapter that wasn't included. Believe it or not, that was really difficult to find and I was working at a toy store at the time. I think it took me nearly two weeks to finally find one in another state. Then the only games I ever bought were Star Wars (disappointing), Doom (my first Doom experience), and World Series Baseball (liked the Genesis version better). While working at the toy store I was given the opportunity to play the Virtual Console before it was released as the Nintendo rep that changed out the kiosk games brought it with her. I played some sort of flying game with a perspective from behind a jet I believe. That was tough to play and I didn't care for it, and never played a Virtual Boy again.

amauriel

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:45 am »
Depends on the model of the Wii I'm afraid.  Late last year they released a stripped down model that completely removed the backwards compatibility.  Just look for the one that doesn't have the GC controller or mem card ports.  You'll know what one to avoid.

Easy way to spot it in a store, especially with the black one that was released both ways: If the word Wii on the front is printed for the console to stand vertically, it's backwards compatible. If it is printed in the same place but is printed horizontally, it will not play Gamecube games.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »
Sega Saturn.

Yea, it is cool and there are some awesome games on it. But come on, if you want a game that's half decent you have to pay some serious $$$$$.

The prices for saturn games are absurd, IMO.
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »
That's something I thought about before selling off my other systems, the price of Saturn games.  There are roughly 245 games for the system (excluding the wonderful import library) ranging from $3 sports titles to $250~ for a mint Panzer Dragoon Saga.  Most excellent games are in the $40-$100 price range but there are cheaper gems too.  Then I thought about my NES collection at the time, well over 700 games for the system including non-licensed games from .50 cents to a $1200 loose copy of Stadium Events.  Comparing on paper the Saturn looked far easier to collect for.  It's just too bad I live in Utah and about 3 people here bought the system when it came out so I almost never find games in stores.  I gave up visiting yard sales/swap meets long ago for saturn stuff.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:18:28 pm by varkias »

soera

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:45 pm »
I find the Saturn/Sega CD games to be the most uncommon of the normal systems (Im not counting crap like Vectrex or 3DO or Jaguar or anything). When I do see either games, the case is trash.

jcalder8

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »
Sega Saturn.

Yea, it is cool and there are some awesome games on it. But come on, if you want a game that's half decent you have to pay some serious $$$$$.

Don't ever look at getting a neo geo

tpugmire

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »
It's just too bad I live in Utah and about 3 people here bought the system when it came out so I almost never find games in stores.  I gave up visiting yard sales/swap meets long ago for saturn stuff.
Yeah, I found a complete Saturn setup at the DI a couple years ago for $12.00 but I realized that I have never seen a Saturn game in Utah either, so I passed on the system.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »
Sega Saturn.

Now that's an awesome system I won't get into because of the money!

It's just too bad I live in Utah and about 3 people here bought the system when it came out so I almost never find games in stores.  I gave up visiting yard sales/swap meets long ago for saturn stuff.
Yeah, I found a complete Saturn setup at the DI a couple years ago for $12.00 but I realized that I have never seen a Saturn game in Utah either, so I passed on the system.

Nintendo and Atari were huge here as a kid, there are lots of steals if you spend the time looking.  Good 'ol DI :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:16:58 pm by varkias »

scott

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
I gave up visiting yard sales/swap meets long ago for saturn stuff.

Same here, I still check gaming stores around me on occasion and I used to check craigslist for Saturn stuff but have since went the route of Amazon and eBay. And the occasionaly trade show (I found a lot of Saturn games last June at the CCAG).
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »
Sega Saturn.

I personally never played a Neo Geo before, but I'm part of another forum, its a local one near Chicago, and everyone on there is a huge AES fan.

I'd have to try it before I buy it. Saturn games are like $150 for a piece of crap game. I know AES games are expensive, but they may be worth it, IMO.  :)
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
Sega Saturn.

I personally never played a Neo Geo before, but I'm part of another forum, its a local one near Chicago, and everyone on there is a huge AES fan.

I'd have to try it before I buy it. Saturn games are like $150 for a piece of crap game. I know AES games are expensive, but they may be worth it, IMO.  :)
Not really worth it... Unless you are a huge fighting game fan there isn't all that much available for the AES.

$2,000+ dollars for Metal Slug (US) $1,500+ for Metal Slug (JP)...
$1,200+ for Metal Slug 2
$15,000+ for Kizuna Encounter (EUR)
$300+ Last Blade
$600+ Last Blade 2

And lots for well over $300 and $500
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:31:08 pm by pceslayer »

atariboy

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:12 pm »

Nintendo and Atari were huge here as a kid, there are lots of steals if you spend the time looking.  Good 'ol DI :D

Man I love DI, I have found all kinds of goodies from there in the past. Not so much now prices have increased here in Idaho, but I still find some stuff here and there, especially PC games.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

jobocan

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:46 pm »

Not really worth it... Unless you are a huge fighting game fan there isn't all that much available for the AES.

$2,000+ dollars for Metal Slug (US) $1,500+ for Metal Slug (JP)...
$1,200+ for Metal Slug 2
$15,000+ for Kizuna Encounter (EUR)
$300+ Last Blade
$600+ Last Blade 2

And lots for well over $300 and $500

The thing with Neo Geo is that AES stuff is WAY overpriced. It's basically preferable to go with MVS. The system itself is cheaper (I got mine, in a fully working cabinet with 2 games, for 450$ which is less than what an AES console goes for on its own... and it's possible to get it for cheaper), and the games are cheaper than AES games (even the most expensive MVS games rarely pass the 250$ mark... and I recently bought Windjammers for 60$). It's just a better option to go with MVS, and it's possible to make your own MVS home console for relatively cheap.