Author Topic: Looking For / Help Me Find Thread  (Read 163814 times)

davifus

Re: Looking For / Help Me Find Thread
« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:48 am »
I need a snes system.  I bought one in a yard sale a couple months back, but it *reeks* of cigarette smoke and I cannot de-smokify it.  Lemme know if you can help me out.  :)

Put it in a plastic container with a couple of dryer sheets.  This works like a champ.  They only issue is it won't smell like smoke anymore, but it will have that "Spring Rain" scent.

It's been in a tupperware container with several dryer sheets for at least 2 months now.  :P  When I opened it last night it nearly knocked me out - it smells like it was in a cigarette factory. 

Take a chance and put it in the dryer with dryer sheets.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:54 am »
I need a snes system.  I bought one in a yard sale a couple months back, but it *reeks* of cigarette smoke and I cannot de-smokify it.  Lemme know if you can help me out.  :)

Put it in a plastic container with a couple of dryer sheets.  This works like a champ.  They only issue is it won't smell like smoke anymore, but it will have that "Spring Rain" scent.

It's been in a tupperware container with several dryer sheets for at least 2 months now.  :P  When I opened it last night it nearly knocked me out - it smells like it was in a cigarette factory.
If it were me, I'd actually take it apart and scrub/soak the plastic shell. I usually do a deep cleaning like that anyways. That generally helps it get nice and clean! But you'll need the special security bit to open up the system. Not too expensive, and works with opening up SNES games too.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

maximo310

« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »

If it were me, I'd actually take it apart and scrub/soak the plastic shell. I usually do a deep cleaning like that anyways. That generally helps it get nice and clean! But you'll need the special security bit to open up the system. Not too expensive, and works with opening up SNES games too.
Yeah, I did a deep cleaning of my SNES when I got it from Goodwill because of how dirty it was. To open it up, you need a 4.5 mm security bit for the console screws as well as a 3.8mm security bit for opening up the games. I also reccomend that in addition, to cleaning the shell, make sure that its isn't yellowing, ( you can use oxi-clean+ weak hydrogen peroxide(12%), xanthal gum, liquid glycerin( optional), and gloves for handling the hydrogen peroxide. Also, it may be a good idea to use compressed air to get excessive dust out of the console/games.

argyle

« Reply #273 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:56 pm »
It's already very yellow.  I've watched some videos on how to clean it & try to de-yellow it - I actually clean all of the used consoles I pickup anyway.  But there's so much wrong with this one, and it looks like completely taking it apart to attempt to de-yellow it is a major PITA - plus with no guarantee that the odor will ever leave (and to be perfectly honest, I don't even want to work on it with it smelling that way - not only do I despise the smell of cigarette smoke but I'm also highly allergic to it).  Iunno.

I've honestly started debating just ordering a Retron 5 so I can hook the thing up to my main TV & just selling the snes for parts. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

« Reply #274 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »
It's already very yellow.  I've watched some videos on how to clean it & try to de-yellow it - I actually clean all of the used consoles I pickup anyway.  But there's so much wrong with this one, and it looks like completely taking it apart to attempt to de-yellow it is a major PITA - plus with no guarantee that the odor will ever leave (and to be perfectly honest, I don't even want to work on it with it smelling that way - not only do I despise the smell of cigarette smoke but I'm also highly allergic to it).  Iunno.

I've honestly started debating just ordering a Retron 5 so I can hook the thing up to my main TV & just selling the snes for parts.
That's all perfectly reasonable. Some things are just too far gone to waste spending the time on  :)
Currently Playing: The Witcher

maximo310

« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2014, 12:41:02 pm »

Well, I'm sorry to hear about the situation. SNES's model 1's are notorious for yellowing from even just the air, it doesn't have to be direct light hitting it. Even with that cleaning method, my SNES still shows small signs of yellowing, so every once in a while I'm going to have to use the cleaning method again. It also sounds like the cig smoke is pretty strong with this one, and to get it rid it of it usually consists of using malt vinegar/acetone on the plastic parts, or an oxidant. If you can't work with the smell while cleaning it, you could always try to wrap it up in fabric softener sheets and put it away for a few days and check if the smell goes away. Does the SNES even work if you're going to sell it for parts?

argyle

« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

Well, I'm sorry to hear about the situation. SNES's model 1's are notorious for yellowing from even just the air, it doesn't have to be direct light hitting it. Even with that cleaning method, my SNES still shows small signs of yellowing, so every once in a while I'm going to have to use the cleaning method again. It also sounds like the cig smoke is pretty strong with this one, and to get it rid it of it usually consists of using malt vinegar/acetone on the plastic parts, or an oxidant. If you can't work with the smell while cleaning it, you could always try to wrap it up in fabric softener sheets and put it away for a few days and check if the smell goes away. Does the SNES even work if you're going to sell it for parts?

Not sure - I'll endure it long enough to plug it up & put a game in - if it works I'll list is as working but with a strong cig smell.  Wish I could find a "throw away" game, I would rather not put one of my good ones in it.  ;) 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

davifus

« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »
The yellowing/Browness from SNES 1 are because of the ingredient of Bromine (Prevents it from being Flammable). The bromine goes into a reaction under UV lights (Natural or Artificial) and this leaves the Bromine seperate and free and seeking for oxygen (Oxidation), which leads it to become yellow/brown. There is not way to stop this process even If you keep it in its original package.

Retrobrighten method is good method but disclaimer, It does reverse the effect but it will never go back to it original color to the fullest. It will look a little waterdown (not really noticeable but there is a very slight difference).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:05:49 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

argyle

« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2014, 12:10:46 am »
Well, n/m on my snes search, I pulled the trigger tonight on a Retron 5.  8)

« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2014, 10:37:53 am »
Looking for Phantasy Star Online V.2 for Dreamcast!!!!!!

« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:03 am »
Looking for Gamecube controller for parts. I don't care if the casing is rubbish, loose sticks, or if the rubber caps are worn out. As long as directions function correctly. If the board still works.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #281 on: September 27, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »
Well, n/m on my snes search, I pulled the trigger tonight on a Retron 5.  8)

Good call man. As soon as you get it install System update and the V2.0 firmware. :)

ziondood

« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2014, 05:30:46 am »
I'm looking for a non players choice Box for Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening on Gameboy and a Manual for Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons on Gameboy Color!  :)

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:29 am »
I know this may be a long shot but Sega Saturn cases in good condition. I have a lot (read 4 of my 6) of Saturn games that came in just jewel cases with no artwork or anything, I currently have them in DVD cases with artwork printed but I would love to get them in blank saturn cases and then start looking for manuals for the games if possible!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2014, 01:18:16 am »
Anyone have a trashed copy of Clu Clu Land that still works?  Mine still looks good, but won't come on in 3 NESs.

I hate to waste a good looking cart.

P.M. me if you do. I'll forget to check this thread.