Author Topic: UPDATE: Alt-Title added to game  (Read 6262 times)

matt

UPDATE: Alt-Title added to game
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »
Hey all,

Just pushed out a small update. We have added a new "Alt-Title" field to the item pages. This will help solve our issue with localized titles vs. original language titles. The regular title field will still be used for the English title and the new field will be used for the original language title or "also known as." At this point this new field isn't searchable but this will be coming soon, along will our new search engine.

Thanks and let me know if you have any issues with it. Scott will be updating the style guide shortly to reflect this change.

Matt

foxhack

Re: UPDATE: Alt-Title added to game
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:05:47 am »

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:46 am »
this site is getting better  ;D

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:25 am »
So it's barely three days into the month and I already have like 300 edits.

WHY DO YOU ABUSE MY (almost) OCD LIKE THIS
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:36:37 am by foxhack »

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:07:16 am »
I would say this is a great addition to the site! It may only be a small update on your end but to the usability of the site this will be HUGE once the new search engine comes out!

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:58 am »
So it's barely three days into the month and I already have like 300 edits.

WHY DO YOU ABUSE MY (almost) OCD LIKE THIS

lol ;D

scott

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »
I like the Alt-Titles. The only thing I wonder, what if a game never was released in English and we don't have a English name to put in the Name field?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
... you don't add an alt title, then?

:P

amauriel

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:42:32 am »

Good. Then all my Japanese names are good...unless they do something crazy and add Japanese Language support rather than just Romanji. Then MY OCD will kick in.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:52 am »

Good. Then all my Japanese names are good...unless they do something crazy and add Japanese Language support rather than just Romanji. Then MY OCD will kick in.
hay amauriel can you add japanese names to the pc [JP] i am at my uncles house and his computer do not read japanese ;D

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:07 am »
If there are multiple alternative titles how should they be separated? I have just been using commas.

matt

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:27 am »
Quick Update: There is something wrong with the encoding of these titles so we've had to clear out some of the submitted ones. I'm looking into a fix but my time has been extremely limited lately.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:21 am »
Sorry to be difficult (and possibly stupid) with my first post but I've got a question that I've not been able to find an answer to re: Alt-Titles.

I own the Japanese MVS version of Last Blade 2, but it's not listed so I need to add it to the database. How does the naming system work?

As I'm sure you know, the options are -

Name (English name)

and

Alt-Name (Original language title or 'also known as')

By "English name" do we need to enter "The name this game goes by when it's sold in English speaking territories" which would make the correct entry here "Last Blade 2", or does it mean "How you would write the name of the game using English characters", which would make the correct entry "Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku..."?

I've got the same sort of confusion with the Alt-Name field (sorry!); do you want the original language title written in English (Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku...), the original title as it's originally written (幕末浪漫第二幕...), or would the "Alt-Title" be "Last Blade 2", as the game I'm specifically trying to list is called "Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku...", and the alternative (Western) title for this game is "Last Blade 2"?

Sorry for the trouble!

matt

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »
Sorry to be difficult (and possibly stupid) with my first post but I've got a question that I've not been able to find an answer to re: Alt-Titles.

I own the Japanese MVS version of Last Blade 2, but it's not listed so I need to add it to the database. How does the naming system work?

As I'm sure you know, the options are -

Name (English name)

and

Alt-Name (Original language title or 'also known as')

By "English name" do we need to enter "The name this game goes by when it's sold in English speaking territories" which would make the correct entry here "Last Blade 2", or does it mean "How you would write the name of the game using English characters", which would make the correct entry "Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku..."?

I've got the same sort of confusion with the Alt-Name field (sorry!); do you want the original language title written in English (Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku...), the original title as it's originally written (幕末浪漫第二幕...), or would the "Alt-Title" be "Last Blade 2", as the game I'm specifically trying to list is called "Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku...", and the alternative (Western) title for this game is "Last Blade 2"?

Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for the questions! This field is giving us all sorts of issues right now so I'm afraid that we may not have the answers but we should probably discus it with the community. I've got some strange encoding issues going on that is storing the titles incorrectly and messing everything up. I'm hoping to resolve this soon.

The intent of the alt-title field was to essentially create another searchable field for English speaking users. Most users area simply search for Rockman or Final Fantasy and are not going to be able to find it if we use a Japanese char set. Then again a lot of these titles don't releases in English areas...

So what do we all think will be the most usable method? Thoughts?

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:33 pm »
Thank you for the reply :)

I can only offer my own suggestion as to how I feel it would work best -

(Using my previous game as the example)

Name - "Bakumatsu Roman Dai Ni Maku...". This is the name of the game written using the English alphabet

Original Name - "幕末浪漫第二幕...". This is the name written in it's original language

Alternative Name - "Last Blade 2". The name the game goes by in other territories.

To use US release Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky as an example that's the other way around (a US title with an alternative Japanese name) -

Name - "Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky"

Original Name - "英雄伝説VI 空の軌跡FC"

Alternative Name - "Eiyuu Densetsu VI: Sora no Kiseki FC"

So I suppose the main thing for me would be to differentiate between "original name" and "alternative name". I'm hardly up to speed with how this place works though so this post may sound ridiculous and/or unworkable :)