Author Topic: UPDATE: Alt-Title added to game  (Read 6276 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: UPDATE: Alt-Title added to game
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »
Hey there, Kimimi
 ;D

Fancy meeting you here
 8)

Welcome to the site, and, for those who don't already know Kimimi...we are lucky to have this poster here with us!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 02:12:49 pm »
Bleh --Double-Post--
 :-\

Regarding the question (and, somewhat along the lines of Kimimi's suggestion); I'm thinking this:

How about if we had 3 columns/entries?

And, to avoid causing any confusion concerning 'original', alternate', and/or 'foreign language' entries...make it something like this...

A).  "English Title":

B).  "Foreign Language/Foreign Characters Title": (Be it Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc), and

C).  "Romaji/Romanized Title":

Seeing as I don't know anything about the technical-side, practicality, and/or feasability of making something like this actually *WORK*...would this even be do-able?

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:34 am »
Thank you for the compliment! :D

Your labelling system is much clearer than the waffle I came up with, I think I could list my games easily with that system :)

The only other possible suggestion I would make would be to allow multiple foreign and romanized names. To use another arcade game I own as an example - "Knights of Valour 2: Nine Dragons" has a total of four alternative official titles depending on the region the game was released in (Japan/Mainland China/Taiwan and lastly a generic Asian release).

Again I have no idea how much work would be involved in implementing this so feel free to ignore if it's too much :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 09:12:56 am »
I don't have anything to do with the running of this site, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you have that many Alt Titles, I would suggest using the comment field.  I would say list it by the title of the North American release (assuming you are in NA and the game was released here) and use the alt title field for the most popular title outside of North America.  Then, anything else you might want to put in the comment field. 

This is just my suggestion.  If you go to adding too many fields, Matt's job is going to get really really complicated.

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:39 am »
What's the best thing to do for the time being then? I've got about two hundred Chinese & Japanese PC games that need listing! :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:30 am »
What's the best thing to do for the time being then? I've got about two hundred Chinese & Japanese PC games that need listing! :D

I'd say, send a pm to Matt asking him.

I know that I've read that he's been very busy lately --and-- maybe he hasn't had the time yet to see/address/answer this here for you.

I guess that it couldn't hurt if you also sent one to Scott...

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:50 am »
Well if they're busy the last thing they need is some woman pestering them about something that everyone else seems to handle just fine, there's no rush ^^~

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »
Well if they're busy the last thing they need is some woman pestering them about something that everyone else seems to handle just fine, there's no rush ^^~

Meh...maybe just save adding those games for later, and start out by adding your more 'traditional' games 1st...that should keep you occupied for a good year or two; right?!
 :o

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:30 pm »
I suppose I could add some things... I just wanted to get it all in "neatly", rather than adding little bits of everything from all over the place - I'm easily confused! :D

foxhack

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:07:12 pm »
What am I, chopped liver? :P

You should add the games. Just use the transliteration of the Japanese name for the main title. Once the alt-title bugs are fixed then you can add the others. I cleaned up the NeoGeo CD JP database this way:

http://vgcollect.com/browse/neogeocdjp

I used the English transliteration of the Japanese title for the main display / searchable name, then added the most common English title as the alternate. -Please do not- add Japanese-region games with the US title as the main name since that would just confuse people searching for the US versions.

If you have other questions feel free to PM me or reply here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:26:15 pm by foxhack »

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 04:31:01 am »
Will do! Sorry for all the trouble - I'm going to finish my coffee and then get started :D