Author Topic: Anyone heard of the ngp?  (Read 1934 times)

Anyone heard of the ngp?
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:58 am »
I've known about it since January's Sony press conference and to anyone that doesn't know what it is, its basically a psp with an odd name.  The tech specs on it are extremely stunning and finally above everything, 2 analog sticks on a handheld.  If your interested in the tech specs, go here http://us.playstation.com/ngp/ scroll down for the tech specs, its a javascript popup.  This has some promising titles and a strange rear touch pad...really interested in how the developers are going to incorporate it into the games.  Let me know if anyone is interested in the ngp and if they made the same decision that I did on either getting the 3ds or waiting for the ngp to be released.  I chose the ngp and it will be released later this year, probably September, or November.

matt

Re: Anyone heard of the ngp?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
I'm curious to see what Sony has to say at E3 about this. The product seems kinda odd as is but it is definitely time for them to push out a new handheld.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:47:39 pm »
For now there's really nothing interesting announced for the system, and from what I've seen the thing is actually HUGE compared to the PSP, which was already pretty big.... Like, there's no way it's gonna fit in your pocket. And frankly I see no chance of the console being reasonably priced for quite a while since, well, it's filled with awesomely powerful hardware, and that screen is pretty insane (OLED touch screens like that cost quite a bit to manufacture). The only thing that confuses me is that touch pad on the back of the console... it's so oddly placed, since it's where I'd usually rest my fingers while playing.

I'm sure it will eventually be good, it will just take time for devs to actually release good stuff on it, just like the PSP which basically had nothing for over a year. For now I'm not really interested, but I'll probably end up getting one once/if good games start coming out.

I can't wait until E3 though... I'm really hoping it's gonna be E3 '06 all over again... "The NGP will cost 499 US DOLLARS" :P

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:30 am »
Not interested. Actually this whole new generation of portables hasn't really tickled me yet. I'm sure I'll eventually get a 3DS, but Sony can keep the NGP. I like my PSP, but I rarely ever use it and when I do decide to play, I always have to charge the battery. Not to mention the ridiculous attempt of the PSPgo. I still haven't bought Patapon 2 out of spite for it being download only in the US. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »
^ Same here..  My PSP will go from a full charge to dead without even being played in a month or so.  Meanwhile, my DS has held a charge 6+ months and my GBA for years, with little or no loss.  I can't even remember when I last charged my SP.  I pick it up to play Metroid Fusion or Super Street Fighter Turbo Revival now and then, it never fails to impress with its darn near infinite battery life (comparitively speaking).

Also, I could have sworn they re-released Patapon 2 on an actual UMD when they started putting out $9.99 games at retail.  Unless you are holding a grudge, hehe..

scott

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:17:25 pm »
Oh there is a total grudge, haha. I'll look to see if I can find it on UMD though..

scott

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:33 am »
@monochrome Found a sealed UMD copy on ebay. $5, lol.