Author Topic: show cartridge art if box art isn't available in the list  (Read 856 times)

show cartridge art if box art isn't available in the list
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:51 am »
Some things have no boxes, or there are no art available.  It would be nice to show cartridge art if box art isn't available in the browse or collection mode.

another nice option would be to show in your list the cartridge instead of the box if you don't own a boxed copy. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:14:27 am by unibonger »

desocietas

Re: show cartridge art if box art isn't available in the list
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »
Hm, I can't remember if the cartridge art will show up if that is added to the item record but not the front box art.

Are you saying that some games didn't have boxes when they were launched, or are you saying that no box art has been uploaded yet (even though the box does exist)?

another nice option would be to show in your list the cartridge instead of the box if you don't own a boxed copy. 

This is a nice idea (a good visual of what your collection actually looks like), but I don't know if this site will be able to offer that sort of uber-customization for your collection view.  Would be interested to see what the mods think.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »
If games never had proper box art (like Super Mario / Duck Hunt)... then just add a cart scan as the front cover. :P

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »
I think what he was saying is that he wanted games that only had a picture of the cartridge to show up on the collection with a cartridge picture when a front box picture is for any reason unavailable. some people have found a good disc or cart image, but no good box image, so the database by default shows the front box art which is no image.

It also seems he wants for it to show the cart/disc by default if he lists that he has the game but does not have the case for the game. Like if I have Left 4 Dead, but only have the disc, then show the disc for my collection and not the box. I personally wouldn't care about that in my database.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »
I could see how that'd be nice the with shelf view Matt was working on.. If it showed the collector's choice of box or cart art, it'd be a better visual representation of the real collection.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas