Author Topic: Search results preferences?  (Read 1533 times)

Search results preferences?
« on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »
Hey guys, I've a suggestion for a feature that would make searching better for me... and hopefully others would find it useful too. I know there's an advanced search option, but I'd love search results preferences for all basic searches. Specifically, I'd love to see the ability to:

* Ignore specific regions in all results. In my case, I only collect NA games so having EU/JP in the results just adds stuff to sort through
* Ignore specific consoles. Personally, I don't need XBLA/PSN/3DS/Wii/etc in my results. I'm sure this is highly variable from person to person, but the option to add consoles to an ignore list would be nice.

Thanks, I love the site!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Search results preferences?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:27:56 am »
Welcome to the site, Rappo!

I'd also like to be able to, say, go into my "personal settings" and prune all of the things that I'd never be searching for from the search results.

Obviously, I'd think that it would be simple enough (if the need ever came up) to add something here & there if you ever did start collecting for new/different systems...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:32:29 am »
matt has said that he is working on overhauling the search engine but I'm not sure when this will be rolling out.

matt

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:42 am »
matt has said that he is working on overhauling the search engine but I'm not sure when this will be rolling out.

This will happen when we move to our new server. I hoped to have this done by now but my summer weekends have been busy. Stay tuned...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:05 am »
New server, you say???

scott

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »
New server, you say???

Ha, I forgot all about this. Hopefully it goes much smoother than that last server transfer...  :'(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »
No kidding, that last move sucked.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »

Understatement of the year right there. I think all the others that have been here since before then agree.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:08 am »

Understatement of the year right there. I think all the others that have been here since before then agree.

Fortunately this move will be planned and not forced ha. Good lord that was a nightmare.

Things should go silky smooth on this one and allow for much more growth. Right now we are limited on a few things since our db server is shared. We'll be moving everything over to our very own server that only handles VGC and a few of my other pet projects.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:54:13 am »
Sounds promising!

topspot123

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »

Fortunately this move will be planned and not forced ha. Good lord that was a nightmare.

Things should go silky smooth on this one and allow for much more growth. Right now we are limited on a few things since our db server is shared. We'll be moving everything over to our very own server that only handles VGC and a few of my other pet projects.

Concerning a new server and search overhaul I have a recommendation.  I'm not sure what about the current search function is planning to be changed, but right now it only brings back exact matches.  If you slightly misspell something, or aren't matching the same style guide, you'll overlook what you're searching for.  If it would also return close matches, I don't think there would be so many duplicate listings. 

Or, what about this, when submitting a new item you'll fill out the platform (type) and the name and then submit.  The search would then return with a list of possible and close matches on that platform and ask "Is this game one of these?" or something to that effect.  If it isn't on the list you could then submit it or add all of the other details and submit it. 

topspot123

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:05 pm »
For what it's worth I wouldn't mind having an 'advanced search' link available without having to do a search first.  Maybe add a link under the main search box.