Author Topic: New artwork: cartrdge end labels  (Read 990 times)

New artwork: cartrdge end labels
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:19 am »
I have some games that have variations on the end labels.  It would be nice to document them here by uploading a photo.  It would also be good for recreating/reproduction end labels in the future. The systems I can think of off the top of my head are Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, NES, SNES, & Genesis. 

If you are going to do that, maybe you could add a 'misc' artwork slot or two at the same time.  Sometimes the back of a cart may need documented along with the front, or other things.

matt

Re: New artwork: cartrdge end labels
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:53 am »
I'm eventually going to recreate the image system to allow for more items. It'll probably be a few months out as we have a few other items already in the oven.

soera

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:45:25 am »
No offense ... but all that stuff seems like just extra work. If Matt, Scott, and the other admin want to take that task on themselves, thats one thing ... but otherwise, all the variant crap is just something I think should be added in the game notes. There are options to add more than one pic already. Can also put it there.

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:25:21 am »
Since we are talking about adding more images, I would love to add in some pictures from the game itself. In my opinion it's not something pressing but long term, I think it would be cool to see actually gameplay shots.

scott

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:08 am »
No offense ... but all that stuff seems like just extra work. If Matt, Scott, and the other admin want to take that task on themselves, thats one thing ... but otherwise, all the variant crap is just something I think should be added in the game notes. There are options to add more than one pic already. Can also put it there.

That's the thing though. When we started this project the goal was to be as accurate as possible, and that includes variants. But, if you don't care about them, you don't have to pay attention to them and can choose to ignore them all together. It's like comic books, there are multiple covers and reprints out there and some comic book collectors go nuts over them. If this were a Comic Book Database and Collection Management system we'd have to track variants of them to cover the 1% of the 1%.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »
Yeah I know some people are crazy about variants ... I guess I just find it obsessive. I think the only "variant" I would ever bother with is if the game itself plays differently.

Heh if you guys are willing to add all that stuff, more power to ya! I just add all my extra stuff to the notes. :)

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:13 pm »
I think it's a good bragging point, though, as prices can differ wildly depending on the variant.  I know I'd definitely prefer the original artwork for a game like Paper Mario : the Thousand-Year door and would like to indicate that I don't own the Player's Choice version or the one with the "best seller" graphic added to the cover.

Looking forward to the feature of more images!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »
Those arent variants though. Thats 2 legitimately different releases. I dont consider those variants at least. What I consider a variant is like 5 screw vs 3 screw, whether the end label is printed in red or white, the Nintendo seal on the front being round or oval, etc. Basically "mistakes" is what I call them.

Greatest hits vs original release is simply that. Whether you bought the game when it was released for full price or whether you bought it months later for $19.99. Although the game doesnt play any different, its totally different otherwise.