Author Topic: Beware - Media Mail shipping (U.S.A)  (Read 3103 times)

scott

Beware - Media Mail shipping (U.S.A)
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It would seem the U.S. postal service's Media Mail shipping option does not include video games. I just found this out today, when I went to pick up my mail from my P.O. Box. Ended up having to pay an additional $4 in postage in order for them to release it.

Here is a thread from AtariAge on the same subject. http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/128378-video-games-not-media-mail/

And here is a link to the P.O.'s website. http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

Honestly, I don't see how it's really fair. They count discs for PC as "media mail" but carts and discs for consoles they don't? I smell a load of BS.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Re: Beware - Media Mail shipping (U.S.A)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:28 pm »
computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes) is video games... I would have took it up with a manager.

I shipped off some master system games recently via Parcel Post for like $2... so I dunno.

scott

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:38:39 pm »
I dealt right with the post master at my post office. Next time I'm there I'll have to bring in some "evidence" and see what he says.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »
Technically Video Game Consoles are specialized Computer platforms... Oh well... :/

scott

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:25 pm »
Ya I figured that too. Apparently, according to AtariAge, it's a common issue with mailing video games. I'm still gonna mention something to the post master tomorrow.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »
Just use FedEx.  That's what I do anyway, but it helps that I work there.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »
Ya this was sent to me. So I had no choice... :(

scott

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »
Ok. So, I got another package today, marked Media Mail and there was no problems whatsoever... So I asked why, and he said that since he opened the last one, and it was in a reversed Flat Rate Box, that's why I had to pay the difference on that one.

scott

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »
So I was talking to the post master again. And apparently, according to our government friends, media mail is reserved for mailing instructional materials and accompanying disksettes, cds/dvd etc.

Total bullshit, but I guess it is what it is.

scott

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:18:46 am »
Since I've posted this, I've had to pay postage differences on at least 4-5 packages, thanks to media mailing of video games. So, I decided to play with them a bit. I ordered a 8 book lot of FMA manga off of ebay, it was sent media mail to my post office.

And i got to see the confused look on the post master's face.

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:56:43 pm »
FMA makes me happy...it was super popular the summer I was in Japan, so I came home with tons of stuff from the gashapon machines...even though I got an evil look from our professor every time I stopped to put a 100 yen coin in.

As far as on topic, I am having a ton of stuff shipped to me in the next couple of weeks...we'll have to see how mine goes.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:35 am »
So I was talking to the post master again. And apparently, according to our government friends, media mail is reserved for mailing instructional materials and accompanying disksettes, cds/dvd etc.

Total bullshit, but I guess it is what it is.
Um, that's LIBRARY MAIL. Your postmaster's an idiot.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/libraryrate.htm

scott

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:49 am »
I think I summarized poorly in that statement, mostly cause I was annoyed, nor 100% positive on all the info about it. Here's something I dug up on their website. Apparently went into effect in '09

http://pe.usps.com/text/CSR/PS-334.htm

In conclusion, video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail. In addition, storage devices such as “portable hard drives,” "thumb drives," "flash drives," "jump-drives," and "USB drives” for use with computers are also not eligible for Media Mail prices. Qualifying computer-readable media may contain no advertising except when provided for by standard, e.g. incidental announcements of other books with books in a computer-readable format.