Author Topic: these are not games  (Read 1853 times)

htimreimer

these are not games
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:12:46 am »
i added these some time ago and i just more research and these are not games   
http://vgcollect.com/item/23190
http://vgcollect.com/item/23192
http://vgcollect.com/item/23193

matt

Re: these are not games
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15:14 am »
What exactly are they? I'll remove them if needed.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:18 am »

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »
Don't delete them, I'll just edit them so they're something else. :)

matt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »
Don't delete them, I'll just edit them so they're something else. :)

Sounds good.

rachel

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »
I'm curious to know, based on this discussion, what then separates games from software for the purposes of this site. My guess is that any software for a game console is automatically a "game," regardless of its content (e.g., Color a Dinosaur), while PC/Mac software is only a game if it meets certain qualitative gameplay criteria? Not trying to be necessarily difficult; this is a topic that interests me. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:50 am »
I'm curious to know, based on this discussion, what then separates games from software for the purposes of this site. My guess is that any software for a game console is automatically a "game," regardless of its content (e.g., Color a Dinosaur), while PC/Mac software is only a game if it meets certain qualitative gameplay criteria? Not trying to be necessarily difficult; this is a topic that interests me. :)

10/10
Good question!

(Sorry I don't have a good answer)
 ???
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:46:02 am »
to me at least something like color a dinosaur is not software because coloring is education tool that is supposed to entertain basically what i'm saying is if it made to be entertaining it not software

rachel

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
to me at least something like color a dinosaur is not software because coloring is education tool that is supposed to entertain basically what i'm saying is if it made to be entertaining it not software

So would something called "Stickers 'n Fun" be a game, then? Presumably the intent is to entertain.

It's tough, because entertainment and even play are not always strictly games. Movies and music aren't games, of course. Even Barbies and Legos are not games in the strict sense; they are toys. Along these same lines, Color a Dinosaur is an electronic toy that facilitates play. But that sounds crazy to NES collectors, so we just call it a game.

I have a collection of Barbie CD-ROMs that are fashioned as productivity software but are squarely meant to entertain (e.g., Barbie Nail Designer). When titles like this appear on game consoles, classifying them becomes even more challenging.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
Yep.

Even some Visual-Novels (like Hakuoki & 999) and "games" like Journey, Flow, and Flower kinda' "stretch" the Umbrella-Definitions of gaming a bit...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
So would something called "Stickers 'n Fun" be a game, then? Presumably the intent is to entertain.
the problem with stickers n fun is that i can find any pic of it running and because of that i can say if it is a coloring game or just pre-made stickers that you can print out on a disk

matt

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
I'm curious to know, based on this discussion, what then separates games from software for the purposes of this site. My guess is that any software for a game console is automatically a "game," regardless of its content (e.g., Color a Dinosaur), while PC/Mac software is only a game if it meets certain qualitative gameplay criteria? Not trying to be necessarily difficult; this is a topic that interests me.

I think we'd really have to decide this on a case by case basic since it is such a niche issue. You can point at many titles, such as all of the productivity software on the DS and make an argument against listing them in a "games" database. But your statement is correct. Since they are released for a game console, they are valid.

PC software on the other hand is a grey area. I think as long as the software has some sort of entertainment value we'll give it the green light.