Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51757 times)

pacpix

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »
Blackened Doom isn't bad.  Sludge Doom is ok, depends on what mood I'm in.
Yeah I am not a huge fan of those either, although I have not heard much of it.  My favorites are traditional, death-doom, and gothic doom.  I like to listen to some Sunn 0))) Drone every once in a while, but you definitely have to be in the right mood to listen to that stuff. What I love about Doom metal is all the different types there is.  I have been listening to the genre for about a year and if I get tired of Saint Vitus, Trouble, and Candlemass I can go to My Dying Bride, Anathema and Katatonia.

Do you have any good bands to try? 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »
I got more metal CDs!

I picked up Amon Amarth: Deceiver of the Gods at Best Buy, ordered a couple online, the rest I got in a trade for a couple graphic novels.

Deceiver of the Gods is the best album I've heard this year!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
Some good stuff in there!

If anyone hasn't ever heard of them (and you want to hear some good -but- lesser-known 80's metal bands), check-out:

Laaz Rockit,

Meliah Rage,

Sacred Reich, and/or

Grim Reaper  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

pacpix

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
I got more metal CDs!
Is Testament Souls of Black good?  I almost picked it up the other day, but most people consider it to be their worst CD.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:57 pm »
I got more metal CDs!
Is Testament Souls of Black good?  I almost picked it up the other day, but most people consider it to be their worst CD.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to really listen through it. I have a bit to listen to ahead of me.

I listened to a little of it while I was ripping it to my Media Player. I liked what I heard. It sounded reminiscent of Kill 'Em All Metallica.

ko1ru

« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
Blackened Doom isn't bad.  Sludge Doom is ok, depends on what mood I'm in.
Yeah I am not a huge fan of those either, although I have not heard much of it.  My favorites are traditional, death-doom, and gothic doom.  I like to listen to some Sunn 0))) Drone every once in a while, but you definitely have to be in the right mood to listen to that stuff. What I love about Doom metal is all the different types there is.  I have been listening to the genre for about a year and if I get tired of Saint Vitus, Trouble, and Candlemass I can go to My Dying Bride, Anathema and Katatonia.

Do you have any good bands to try?

I like drone like Sunn O))) too.  I also have to be in the mood for it as well.  :P

I highly recommend Thou.  There's also Black Cobra, Kowloon Walled City, High On Fire (these being more on the punk end of sludge doom) and Dark Castle.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »
Just heard 1 of my favorite songs ("Turn the Page")!

So, my fellow metal-heads...which is better

A.  The Bob Seger version or

B.  the Metallica one?

Heavier doesn't *ALWAYS* = better; does it?!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:03 pm »
Just heard 1 of my favorite songs ("Turn the Page")!

So, my fellow metal-heads...which is better

A.  The Bob Seger version or

B.  the Metallica one?

Heavier doesn't *ALWAYS* = better; does it?!

Metallica are the kings of covers. They out do Seger on that song, without a doubt. They also out do Thin Lizzy on Whiskey In the Jar, and their version of Astronomy is even better than Blue Oyster Cult's.

There aren't many bands out there that can do a cover and not butcher it, too. So I think that's damn impressive.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:24:52 am by burningdoom »

jobocan

« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2013, 11:31:23 pm »
Gamma Ray are also pretty good with their covers. Here's a few fun ones.

Long Live Rock n' Roll (originally by Rainbow (Dio!))

Gamma Ray (originally by Birth Control)... I actually had NO idea this was a cover :P

Exciter (I don't need to say who originally made this, right?)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:35 am »
I am a HUGE fan of Iron Maiden. But still, I think Cradle of Filth's cover of "Hallowed By They Name" is better than the original:

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:12 am »
Speaking of Maiden...where do the rest of you stand on D'ianno vs. Dickinson?

Also, I just learned a new, weird, and kinda' disturbing bit of trivia...

Guns 'n' Roses did a cover of a *Charles Manson* song  :o

It's apparently a 'hidden' track # 13 on "The Spaghetti Incident" - now, just out of curiosity, I'm gonna be going to see wtf *that* shit sounds like...

Anybody else here already know that/heard the song?

tripredacus

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

It's apparently a 'hidden' track # 13 on "The Spaghetti Incident" - now, just out of curiosity, I'm gonna be going to see wtf *that* shit sounds like...

Oh sure. The song's fine. Its what you would expect from 60s folksie music from San Francisco. Manson did a couple albums IIRC. I recall back in the 90s watching 60 minutes (or was it 20/20) where they have a trivia question at the end of the show. They said "who played this song" and they played the original version of that song, not the GNR version. And I shout out "CHARLES MANSON!" and the g-parents are like "NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY" and we have some little argument about how Charles Manson is a bad person, blah blah blah. After the commercial break, the TV said it was Charles Manson. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »

Oh sure. The song's fine. Its what you would expect from 60s folksie music from San Francisco. Manson did a couple albums IIRC. I recall back in the 90s watching 60 minutes (or was it 20/20) where they have a trivia question at the end of the show. They said "who played this song" and they played the original version of that song, not the GNR version. And I shout out "CHARLES MANSON!" and the g-parents are like "NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY" and we have some little argument about how Charles Manson is a bad person, blah blah blah. After the commercial break, the TV said it was Charles Manson. :)

That shit's funny - your story made me laugh  ;D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »
Speaking of Maiden...where do the rest of you stand on D'ianno vs. Dickinson?

What about Blaze? No love for him?

Dickinson, for me, even if we're counting Blaze. But I think Blaze sounds better than D'ianno, still. I just can't get into his stuff. He's sounds amateur to me.

ffxik

« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2013, 07:05:12 am »
Maiden is my all time favorite act.  Can't really say Cradle of Filth did that song any favors though.  Also I going to agree with doom on this one.  Why does everyone crap on Bayley?  X Factor and Virtual XI are great albums.

Also I didn't realize Amon Amarth had a new album.   Although it sounds of a completely different beast compared to their usual.