Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51736 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #330 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
Dang, Nightwish can't keep a singer for the life of them!

This news a little old now, but new to me. Apparantly Annette Olzen has left the band due to "creative differences". If any Nightwish fans recall, that was the official reason they gave for the original singer's departure (Tarja). But if you also recall, there was obviously some bad blood that could be read in-between the lines. (Heck, just listen to the song "Bye, Bye Beautiful" on their 1st album with Annette, he straight lets all his anger out for Tarja in that song.) Seems from all reports, the same situation is happening between them and Annette again. Why can't Nightwish play well with others?

The new singer is Floor Jansen (how do you end up with a name like "Floor"?). She had previously temporarily replaced Annette on tour when she fell ill.

Which the band is reportedly very happy with. But then, they also expressed how happy they were with Annette. This news was a surprise to me.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:57:09 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »
Yeah just one of those bands that struggles to keep things together.  Stuff here and there have been good, but my favorite song from them is Wishmaster.  I had it on a mix CD years ago so I listened to that one alot lol

« Reply #332 on: July 06, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
Hey guys, a lot of awesome bands in this thread.  Figured I'd drop some I didn't see while I was skimming over it.

Couldn't find the song Cyclone on youtube, but this one is great as well

And these are just the A's in what's left of my collection.  Many items didn't survive.  I'll post more later.

« Reply #333 on: July 06, 2014, 04:43:46 pm »
Pretty stoked for the new Overkill album coming out this month.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #334 on: July 06, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »
Same here and just like the last two albums I'm going to go into this one blind, in fact I didn't even know there was a new album till like a week ago when I got an email about it from a store. and that reminds me I still need to grb Prong's new album also

« Reply #335 on: July 06, 2014, 11:41:44 pm »
Same here and just like the last two albums I'm going to go into this one blind, in fact I didn't even know there was a new album till like a week ago when I got an email about it from a store. and that reminds me I still need to grb Prong's new album also

If it's a band I like, I tend to listen to everything I can by the time the album releases lol Once in awhile I'll go into an album mostly fresh if they are someone newer and I like maybe the single.  Rarely do I go into something unknown unless I'm given something which isn't often.

retroone

« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2014, 09:10:58 pm »
Anyone here diehard into metal?
I listen to alot of death metal, grind and avant-garde / experimental metal.
Whats all you guys into?

I am a huge metal fan. Heavy Metal and Retro Games go perfect together. But Death Metal I can't get into. I go as hardcore as Slipknot and thats about it.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:05 pm »
Which the band is reportedly very happy with. But then, they also expressed how happy they were with Annette. This news was a surprise to me.

I was also surprised by the fact that they had changed singers AGAIN. But, I like Floor's voice and it seems like she is able to sing all their old stuff too. My kids love Nightwish. In the car they ask, "Dad, can we listen to the viking songs?" Love it.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2014, 07:58:49 am »
Anyone else get/lke the new Judas Priest album?

No "Diamonds & Rust" level songs on it but, overall - it's pretty good.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2014, 04:15:29 pm »

I thought it was kind of a...best of album, with all new songs.  You have old rock stuff like they use to do, more standard heavy metal from the likes of British Steel, and then stuff kinda more like Painkiller.  Overall a solid album and certainly way more listenable than Nostrodamus which only had a good song or two.  The only songs I don't like on the album that I feel are almost unlistenable are Bring it On and Hell & Back.  The lyrics are such a level of cheese, I just can't handle them lol

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:24 am »

I thought it was kind of a...best of album, with all new songs.  You have old rock stuff like they use to do, more standard heavy metal from the likes of British Steel, and then stuff kinda more like Painkiller.  Overall a solid album and certainly way more listenable than Nostrodamus which only had a good song or two.  The only songs I don't like on the album that I feel are almost unlistenable are Bring it On and Hell & Back.  The lyrics are such a level of cheese, I just can't handle them lol

I can get behind & agree with that...if I add that Halls of Valhalla song as a 3rd one to your list  8)

« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2014, 03:58:34 pm »

I can get behind & agree with that...if I add that Halls of Valhalla song as a 3rd one to your list  8)

You don't like Halls of Valhalla?! That's like the best song on the album for me lol

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »

You don't like Halls of Valhalla?! That's like the best song on the album for me lol

I thought that it was kind of...a cookie cutter song for the concept, lyrics, subject matter, etc.

Then again, I've always liked the songs that tended more towards power ballads anyway.

retroone

« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
Did anyone listen to Halestorm's new CD?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #344 on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:41 pm »
For me, Halestorm is one of those bands that I like on first listen, but then gets real old and repetitive, quickly.