Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51744 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2014, 02:03:09 am »
I like certain things that can be classified as metal, but mostly progressive. As with any music I'm attracted to, I tend to like metal with "more brains than balls". So most metal doesn't particularly wow me. The most metal bands I'm still actively into are Protest The Hero, and Between The Burried and Me, and I guess you could also say Last Chance To Reason, The Contortionist, and Cynic which I'm more a fan of the newer Cynic, and I need to check out the latest album because what I've heard sounded great, although not very metal at all.

I'm a bit out of touch with the more recent Prog Metal scene, if anyone wants to recommend a band based on those I've mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:05:22 am by Warmsignal »

davifus

« Reply #361 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »
Anybody heard of Maximum the Hormone? They are more of the Nu Metal genre (New Metal).
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #362 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:22 pm »
Anybody heard of Maximum the Hormone? They are more of the Nu Metal genre (New Metal).

I LOVE Maximum the Hormone.  They are so freaking fun.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:49 am »

Where do you stand?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:28 am »
Mustaine > Hammet

Ride the Lightning, Kill em All, and Master of Muppets > most Megadeth

Most Megadeth > than any Metallica not mentioned above  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2014, 09:27:02 am »
Mustaine > Hammet

Ride the Lightning, Kill em All, and Master of Muppets > most Megadeth

Most Megadeth > than any Metallica not mentioned above  8)

Hammet's a good guitar player, but he's lucky to be part of a band the caliber of Metallica.  He's not a great guitarist in a great band. 

Let's be honest, Metallica is the better band on every level... except Hammet.

retroone

« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2014, 09:37:24 am »
I dont know why but I really like ...And Justice For All and St. Anger they are some of my favorite records of all time. Why do people always shun them?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:03 am »
I dont know why but I really like ...And Justice For All and St. Anger they are some of my favorite records of all time. Why do people always shun them?

Personally, I don't dislike And Justice For All...it's actually the last Metallica album that I liked.

IMO, it was their 1st album that I didn't like *everything* on, though.

In the cases of Kill em All, Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightning - I liked every single track on them...I could just let any one of those albums play & replay, over and over again, w/o ever wanting to skip to the next song.  And Justice For All was the 1st album with any songs that I thought were "skip-able". 

I thought that "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" was decent, I liked "Blackened", really liked "One", and *Love* "Dyer's Eve". 

But, "...And Justice For All, Eye of the Beholder, The Shortest Straw, Harvester of Sorrow, & To Live Is to Die", were all, IMO (while I wouldn't call them "bad" songs), they just didn't live up to the precedent that they'd set by releasing 3 consecutive albums w/o any songs that I could...take or leave.

Also, iirc, like half of the songs were...what - something like 7 to10 minutes each?

IMO, these much longer (Iron Maiden-ish) "epic" length songs weren't well-suited for this band (or, maybe it was more of a case of the band not being well-suited to those types of songs).

Honestly, though - having been a fan of Metallica from the start (Shit, I remember me + a bunch of friends walking out of school in shock and disbelief the day we heard that Cliff Burton died --and-- how almost 1/4 of the school didn't show up to school the next day either because we were all together doing...'stuff' and 'things' as a memorial to him), AND I still remember a lot of the things that the band *originally* stood for (those same things that resonated with us teen-agers and that drew us in, as fans) and, more importantly, the things that they *SAID* back then...such as "We'll never make any song that'd ever be played on the radio, we're all in it strictly for the love of our fans + all of our love of creating & performing our music live for them, and, you will certainly NEVER see a video of a Metallica song on MTV or ever see US using one of those fucking orchestras...like all of these more sell-out types of bands have been flocking to these days just because it's the "thing to do"...It's all of these things that we don't do, don't care about or pay attention to, and that we'd never do that are at the very heart of what it means be Metallica".

So, (with and) after AND Justice For All, came (the very radio-friendly; almost pop/top 40-ish) "Enter Sandman", bunches of videos, more & more radio play, "those fucking orchestras", the whole "Napster" thing (stinking of greed, corporate, and "Forgot where we came from + what we used to be & mean")...which, inevitably, led to lots of pissed of & disillusioned (EX)Fans of what Metallica used to be, like myself  >:(

/rant  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

retroone

« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2014, 11:57:45 am »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #369 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »

Who shuns And Justice For All?

St. Anger, I shun, however. That's because the song writing is incredibly repetitive, and it sounds like it was recorded with a Fisher-Price recorder. Oh and did Lars trade-in his drum-kit for tin cans on that album, or what? I bought the album, and literally tossed out the window after about a week of trying to give it a try.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #370 on: October 17, 2014, 12:23:02 pm »
And to answer my original question:

Back in the day, Metallica. Nowadays, without a shadow of a doubt, it's Megadeth. Megadeth is still putting out stellar albums, touring, and even putting on Gigantour.

Metallica, well, they made St. Anger and Lulu...not really a competition anymore. Megadeth is blowing them out of the water.

retroone

« Reply #371 on: October 17, 2014, 12:41:43 pm »

St. Anger, I shun, however. That's because the song writing is incredibly repetitive, and it sounds like it was recorded with a Fisher-Price recorder. Oh and did Lars trade-in his drum-kit for tin cans on that album, or what? I bought the album, and literally tossed out the window after about a week of trying to give it a try.
Its probably just me that likes the WHOLESt. Anger album. After all it was the first Metallica album I had and heard any of there material from. Albums like Master of Puppets and Ride the Lighting are GREAT in there own respect just WAYY over played.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #372 on: October 17, 2014, 12:59:44 pm »

Its probably just me that likes the WHOLESt. Anger album. After all it was the first Metallica album I had and heard any of there material from. Albums like Master of Puppets and Ride the Lighting are GREAT in there own respect just WAYY over played.

"Call of the Ktulu", "Trapped Under Ice", "For Whom the Bells Toll", and "Orion", "Sanitarium"; just a few reason why it's overplayed. Because their metal masterpieces.

« Reply #373 on: October 17, 2014, 04:06:34 pm »

Where do you stand?

Megadeth for me as my picture shows.  The first four Metallica albums are great, but their earliest albums have Mustaine all over the first two and I think Mustaine is the better songwriter over all and were more consistent with releasing good stuff over the years, despite their own missteps, but at least they didn't take years off making music like Metallica did lol  Not that they are perfect, they've had some off albums, even recently with Super Collider as it's the first time I've been disappointed by a Megadeth album since Risk, the first album I listened to by them and almost kept me from listening to them lol

I don't think I've ever seen anyone shun Justice at all.  It's a very solid album and was their last real heavy release once Black came out, it's just not quite up there with the first three.  St. Anger is rightly deserving of the shunning it gets.  It's fine if you like it, I actually kinda like aspects of a couple songs, but to me, it was a huge step back in writing, production, and musicianship for them.  Death Magnetic got better, but it has editing issues with stuff dragging on too long and further cements that Kirk is just getting worse at guitar.  Whatever he use to be in the 80's or even the 90's, he's not anymore.  I am hopeful for the upcoming album.

retroone

« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »