Author Topic: Wii U, who's getting it?  (Read 11519 times)

Re: Wii U, who's getting it?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 03:15:18 am »
holy crap i had no idea they were doing the tour here in ottawa! im so going to the byward market one! thanks for the heads up jobocan

jobocan

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:23 am »
No problem!
I'm going to see it at the Coventry Road Best Buy on november 1st right after work. For once we get one of those things in Ottawa, I basically HAVE to go :P

darko

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:20 am »
Well let's see...I'm really tired of the LoZ formula, Mario doesn't really do it for me anymore, and there really hasn't been a Wii release that totally set my world on fire.

I'll most likely pass. The new offering from Microsoft has a much better chance of ending up in my home prior to anything new from Nintendo. I know most of us grew up with Nintendo, but the nostalgia for me ends with the N64 if we're talking about consoles. I'm tired of the gimmicks I suppose. My 3DS gets played approximately zero compared to my DS and GBA. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but Nintendo just doesn't do it for me anymore.

tpugmire

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
I had originally planned to pass on it for now, but I unexpectedly found about $350 that I wasn't expecting.  Short story: payroll error at my part time job that I didn't catch for about 4 months.  So now, I have the money to get one.  I still don't have enough to buy a game, so I'll be playing Nintendo Land for a while.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
I wouldn't say never, but I think the days of me buying consoles on launch day is past. I've got more than enough right here already and it's not as if the Wii U is going to be difficult to find in a few years time so I'm happy to wait until there are a few games I actually want to play first.

blipcs76

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 09:58:41 am »
I'll probably wait a year or two before I pick up a Wii U, until more must-own games are out on the system like Bayonetta 2, the next Zelda and Metroid.  I'm also reluctant since it's not drastically more powerful than the 360/PS3 and I'd hate to miss out on next-gen Bioshock and Fallout if they don't get ported to WiiU, since I"ll probably only pick up one system in the next generation.

ko1ru

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »
I personally have zero interest in the Wii U.  I highly dislike the Wii anyway (even though I have one...  ::) ), and have very few games for it.

I am a little upset Bayonetta 2 was announced for Wii U, but no other platform.

jobocan

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 01:45:19 am »
I am a little upset Bayonetta 2 was announced for Wii U, but no other platform.

I frankly don't get why anyone would be upset at that... It was either getting announced on the Wii U, or not getting made at all. Fans of the original should just be happy the sequel is coming out at all, since Sega originally cancelled it and both Sony and MS didn't want to publish it... I'm surprised Nintendo picked it up, but I'm really happy they did since I loved the original.

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 11:41:35 pm »
I won't be getting one. I never buy modern day consoles to begin with. It seems like it could be a new dreamcast to me. Not that it's going to ruin Nintendo, but the thing is being released early in the 8th generation of gaming. Meaning that the "Xbox720" and the "PS4" will have more time to make better systems. I think that it could be a flop, but again, this WILL NOT destroy Nintendo as some think. It takes a lot to bring down a company. It doesn't just happen with one console (if the company has established itself in the gaming market and made a profit before.) it also it pretty highly priced, but then again, remember the PS3's launch price?   ;D > |$499 or $599|

jobocan

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »
Meaning that the "Xbox720" and the "PS4" will have more time to make better systems.

Hmm... not exactly, since making better systems would involve using more expensive components and overall more expensive consoles, which would be a huge risk right now, especially for Sony who's bleeding money (if they're not careful they'll disappear before the 8th generation's halfway point). At this point I don't think either of their new consoles will be a HUGE leap from what they are now. Probably technically stronger than the Wii U, but not as much as what most people are expecting.

... maybe :P

blipcs76

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
Meaning that the "Xbox720" and the "PS4" will have more time to make better systems.

Hmm... not exactly, since making better systems would involve using more expensive components and overall more expensive consoles, which would be a huge risk right now, especially for Sony who's bleeding money (if they're not careful they'll disappear before the 8th generation's halfway point). At this point I don't think either of their new consoles will be a HUGE leap from what they are now. Probably technically stronger than the Wii U, but not as much as what most people are expecting.

... maybe :P

That's kinda what I've been hearing too.  With the WiiU hitting at the $300 price point, the most the other guys would want to sell at would be $399.  $500 for a new console in this economy will put it strictly into the realm where only the rich and carefree or the most hardcore will pick it up.  I'm perfectly happy with current-gen level graphics and feel no rush to drop half a grand to get marginally better looking games.

theflea

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 01:13:13 am »
I'll buy one, but probably not til a game comes out I really want to play on it like the next Super Smash Bros. 
"Happy game hunting!!!"

jobocan

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
So I just came back from trying the Wii U!
I played The Wonderful 101, Mario and one Nintendo Land minigame.

The first thing to mention is the controller... It's actually very comfortable and surprisingly light. It fits in your hands perfectly and you can press all the buttons easily, with the touch screen being easy to access by letting go of the controller with your right hand. I did have minor issues at first, specifically with the face buttons being under the right analog stick (and their overall positioning being a bit weird, at first I kept pressing B or Y when I wanted to press A), but after playing it a bit I did realize that I'll get used to it pretty fast. Otherwise? No problem, this controller is really good. I also got to hold the Pro controller and it was nice as well.
Just a quick note on the console itself... It's basically a really long Wii. Other than it being almost the length of 2 Wiis (from what I could see, I couldn't touch it or anything), there's not much to say about it.

As for the games... The Wonderful 101 was really fun, it's basically an action game (kinda like DMC or Bayonetta) but from a really far-away perspective and a fixed camera angle. I didn't have time to figure out combos, but it was really solid and makes pretty fun use of the screen. Definitely getting this game as soon as it comes out... The funny part though is that the guy who was handling that particular "booth" (while I was playing, it was someone else right before) didn't actually know how to play the game or what the controls were, so I told him how the game was played as I was playing... Oh and the guy before him was calling the game "Powerful 100" for some reason... "Interesting" note, this was the E3 demo, as it still had the "Project P-100" title.

Mario... was Mario. There's really not much else to say, it does look pretty fun overall, but it doesn't seem to do much different from the other "New Super Mario Bros" games. The flying squirrel suit was fun to use.

Nintendo Land... My friends were playing the Luigi's Mansion minigame while I was playing Wonderful 101, and they told me afterwards that it was really fun. The minigame I played with my friends was the Zelda one, and it was BORING. But I'm still excited to see what the rest of the minigames will be like.

... Yeah, that's about all I have to say here. Oh, I got a Wii U shirt since I forced a friend to come with me :P
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:04:57 am by jobocan »

theflea

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 02:00:55 am »
was out today and saw one Wii U deluxe set on a store shelf... So i broke down and bought it. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

tpugmire

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:16 am »
I had my Wii U for all of about 10 mins.   On my way out of Walmart, some guy say me carrying it to my car and offered me $500.00 cash for it.  I'd be stupid to pass on that deal, so I sold it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com